Cleaning vinyl

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I know you will already know this, but you really cant beat warm water and fairy liquid (the proper stuff not the 'wash-u-like' 15p a bottle stuff lol).

Ive never needed to buy any 'special' fluid in all these years. Soapy warm water, a good doing over, a good dry and buff, then I give mine a whirl with my mams Mr Sheen Dustguard.

The crap in grooves is actually hardened grease/grime off your/somebodies fingers, and Fairy removes fatty grease and grime off plates etc, so it makes sense really, lol.

Really, these two combo'd, the fairy and sheen, and job should be a good one if its just dirt. Maybe its fine hairline scratches though, in which case I dont know how you would avoid the crackling.

Sirius.

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Cheers m8 Id forgotten about the fairy and that, will try it:thumbsup:

sirius said:
I know you will already know this, but you really cant beat warm water and fairy liquid (the proper stuff not the 'wash-u-like' 15p a bottle stuff lol).

Ive never needed to buy any 'special' fluid in all these years. Soapy warm water, a good doing over, a good dry and buff, then I give mine a whirl with my mams Mr Sheen Dustguard.

The crap in grooves is actually hardened grease/grime off your/somebodies fingers, and Fairy removes fatty grease and grime off plates etc, so it makes sense really, lol.

Really, these two combo'd, the fairy and sheen, and job should be a good one if its just dirt. Maybe its fine hairline scratches though, in which case I dont know how you would avoid the crackling.

Sirius.

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
Sorry to hijack the thread Ste, but does anyone have any tips to get rid of crackles that are not dirt. I've got a tune that plays perfect except for some annoying crackles at the start. I did the fairy/mrs sheen thing but its made no difference and you can see that its hairline scratches to blame. Is there a way to make it better??

Mart
:rolleyes:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
You mean some magic liquid that can re-cut the groove to put it back in it's original state? lol, na I don't think you can get anything that will do that. If you can invent some, you'd become a millionaire overnight!

I swear by the Mr Sheen method. Spray on Mr Sheen, rub in with a soft cloth and play with a decent stylus and weight it down so it scrapes out all the crap. :thumbsup:

grover

Jun 5, 2003
not used it but have been recommended isopropranol(think that's the right spelling) from the chemist...... john kelly's old tunes came up a treat and sorted the crackles as well

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
ilovepiano said:
You mean some magic liquid that can re-cut the groove to put it back in it's original state? lol, na I don't think you can get anything that will do that. If you can invent some, you'd become a millionaire overnight!

I swear by the Mr Sheen method. Spray on Mr Sheen, rub in with a soft cloth and play with a decent stylus and weight it down so it scrapes out all the crap. :thumbsup:

Lol - I thought I was hoping a bit too much...:$ Hehe. Wouldn't mind but its a bit of a rare un so might take a while to replace.

Aye the Sheen method normally does the trick for me, but might try this Isopropowhatsit tho Grover...:thumbsup: Sounds like sommat u rub on your corns, but I'll give it a whirl...:roll: ;) :thumbsup:

Mart
:rolleyes:

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
grover said:
not used it but have been recommended isopropranol(think that's the right spelling) from the chemist...... john kelly's old tunes came up a treat and sorted the crackles as well

A lad I used to know used this on his vinyl, and it worked a treat for his stuff,,

Apparantly its quite toxic though and you should wear gloves. Not sure if this is true, he never used to bother

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A

AntiX

grover said:

Isopropanol- is pure alcohol without any impurities, so when it evaporates it leaves no trace of any thing. It's the dogs.... for cleaning tape heads, video heads and vinyll.
Only one prob...when I tried to buy it the chemist wouldn't sell it to me until i explained what it was for- its also possible for irresponsible people to 'sniff' :roll: the stuff :naughty:!!!!!

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
that isopropanol thing...if it fully evaporates wouldn't it then leave the dirt behind?

i asked this ages ago and someone said mr sheen..there was bit of a debate about it..does it harm your records long term etc..but after trying everything else i gave it a try and it deffo gets a :thumbsup:

spray the polish on, then play the record while it's wet, and be amazed at the amount of crud your needle pulls out (best not to use your best needles). i've done some and had to clean the needle about 5 times it gets that much gunk out.

that's the thing i didn't get with the other methods..unless you play the record to get the gunk out most dirt will stay behind once the liquids dried off..surely wetting and wiping it just moves the crap about..doesn't actually remove it..

give it a try.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
grad said:
that isopropanol thing...if it fully evaporates wouldn't it then leave the dirt behind?

i asked this ages ago and someone said mr sheen..there was bit of a debate about it..does it harm your records long term etc..but after trying everything else i gave it a try and it deffo gets a :thumbsup:

spray the polish on, then play the record while it's wet, and be amazed at the amount of crud your needle pulls out (best not to use your best needles). i've done some and had to clean the needle about 5 times it gets that much gunk out.

that's the thing i didn't get with the other methods..unless you play the record to get the gunk out most dirt will stay behind once the liquids dried off..surely wetting and wiping it just moves the crap about..doesn't actually remove it..

give it a try.

Agree with all that, you deffo need to play the record thru, else I can't see it working.

Mr Sheen all the way for me, amazing results :)

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
So where do ya get get this Isoproppythingymejiggy stuff from :S ?

DAMO 72

Aug 11, 2004
giggletown
ask them very nicely at byour local chemist,explain that its for cleaning records n not drinking(lol) n it should cost about four pounds for a large brown plastic bottle.then get yourself an empty vinyl spray bottle n fill it with your new magic liquid,oh nearly forgot you have to order it should take about 2 days for the pharmasist to get it in.(fnaar fnaar!)
DAMO :cool:

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
DAMO 72 said:
ask them very nicely at byour local chemist,explain that its for cleaning records n not drinking(lol) n it should cost about four pounds for a large brown plastic bottle.then get yourself an empty vinyl spray bottle n fill it with your new magic liquid,oh nearly forgot you have to order it should take about 2 days for the pharmasist to get it in.(fnaar fnaar!)
DAMO :cool:

Cheers Damo, will get some ordered :thumbsup:

A

AntiX

Remember youve gotta use a clean cloth that wont drop any fibres and watch the dirt lift off. HMV sell something more or less identical, in a spray with a cloth included, and its a decent size fro 4.99 :thumbsup:

grover

Jun 5, 2003
i got some isopropyl alchohol the other day..... had to go to about 3 different chemists as most don't stock it...... the looks i got from the chemist assistant.. you would have thought that i had just asked for rohypnol or something lol .......... i ended up going to my local chemist and asking could they order me some...... asked in the morning and it was there in the afternoon :thumbsup:

Last edited: