'Amen' Breakbeat construction.....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Do any of you try and make dance tunes??? I have Reason and want to compose whats known in the trade (I think) as the Amen breakbeat. I dont like sampling much so I would prefer to create it in the drum machine part of the software - I listen to a sample of it over and over again and I just cant get it the same as its too 'busy'. I need it breaking up into instruments/elements or something.

Its on nearly all retro tunes! (like true faith/circuit etc) so I wondered if anyone knew how to make it. Next thing is to find a *decent* piano sound...... Also, if you do sample a bass sound or something, how do you get it pitched exactly to a correct note like C?.

Dont fret as Im not expecting a huge response!. Its just that someone might have a loop construction kit or something :).

Also, if anyone does make anything, what do you do and how do you stick to finishing it without sacking it off because its too hard and starting a new one :) heheheh. What tunes have you attempted and how well did you do with it?

ps I hope this isnt supposed to be in Help Section, its just meant as sort of a discussion thing with a bit of a request thrown in........

Cheers,

Sirius.

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
deep breath....

Okay amen brother by the winstons. Right basically I think your chances of recreating this break with a drum machine are next to nothing. The 60's and seventies soul drummers were basically the nuts and breaks like funky drummer, sly and the family stone stuff etc are well used because they have a phat live sound. Chemical brothers beats aren't recreated they're just old breaks with filters on. If I was you and you really wanted a breaks sound I'd just hunt for a lesser known break. Checkout www.juno.co.uk and search under breaks there's loads of compilations. Or if you already own any of the various breaks beats and scratches then even better!!! Hope I was of some help. If you need more technical assistance I could put you in touch with some well know breaky dj's

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
http://kickme.to/rollin
Theres the apache and amen and a few other breaks here..
My friend Anton has made a few top tunes with reason and a few other progs if anyone wants a listen to them then go to his site and check them out.
If you have any specific problems with the software side of making tunes then tell me the problems and I shall ask him.
He will appreciate any feedback you all have on his tunes as well..
http://www.geocities.com/oldskoolvibealive/