OSA Membership - private member only parties - coming soon...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
E

easty

I don't agree with this. Sorry to p1ss on everybodies parade but it will bscome a closed shop and will not attract any new blood into the old skool scene which considering we all play tunes that are over 10 years old is exactly what we need or old skool will die of quicker than it is already doing. It's the security that needs improving and everyone working together instead of everyone thinking of themselves for once. In principal butty mate it's a good idea but I think on the whole it will do more harm than good so I will not be joining. i think old skool is for everyone and if you don't wnna let me into your parties then thats your perogitive.
Please remember this is just my opinion on the matter and I don't want to p1ss anyone of with it

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
easty said:
I don't agree with this. Sorry to p1ss on everybodies parade but it will bscome a closed shop and will not attract any new blood into the old skool scene which considering we all play tunes that are over 10 years old is exactly what we need or old skool will die of quicker than it is already doing. It's the security that needs improving and everyone working together instead of everyone thinking of themselves for once. In principal butty mate it's a good idea but I think on the whole it will do more harm than good so I will not be joining. i think old skool is for everyone and if you don't wnna let me into your parties then thats your perogitive.
Please remember this is just my opinion on the matter and I don't want to p1ss anyone of with it

Im not convinced it will become a closed shop. If anything news will get around and people may be desperate for membership (if its any good that is.. ;) ..) The idea of knowing the people you let into your events isnt a new one. It goes as far back as the Loft and Paradise Garage (in clubbing terms that is)

Im pretty sure "Old Skool" nights will continue without membership, but for one off events where the law might take exception (a rave in a field.. :D ;) ), I reckon its needed. For instance, The Revenge parties need membership, unfortunately I never went, Jonno would know more

Some of the more discerning nights across the country use it, and the idea of promoting it through a website is fast becoming the new "word of mouth"

Nice idea Butty :thumbsup:

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
I think thats a cracking idea.:thumbsup:

It wouldnt be a closed shop just a members club. Im a member of a few clubs and if you want to bring a few mates you just sign em in.

From my experience OSA's member are very welcoming and if anything new members would be encouraged to join rather than avoid coming.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I must admit when you told me about this idea, I poo poo'd it, thinking it'd be all cliquey and wrong.

But at the end of the day, the most important factor here is keeping the spastic/wrong-uns out, so that we can ensure a trouble free night for everyone to enjoy.

That's essentially what is needed after all, so I've changed my mind, and am behind this all the way (I can be wrong sometimes :$ ) :thumbsup:

GRIMMY

Aug 19, 2002
Manchester
get-me.to
Got 1 or 2 questions/comments to add here about this idea.

In response to Easty's post, don't think it'll deter newbies at all. When they "discover" old skool I think they won't be put off by a simple membership card. All they need to do is sign up for one and in they go. There's no reason why not to. Plus, it makes people feel part of a community which raves back in the day encouraged.

I think one way of keeping those dickheads out is to encourage people to sign up for their own single membership. The only reason I say this is because if some loon who's on a friends membership messes about at one of these events and they get collared by security and asked "Who's membership are you on?" They're not gonna tell them are they? And they could possibly attend again and cause more trouble.

Putting them on single memberships would eliminate this problem. After all, thats how Monroes started out with friends letting friends on their membership and look how badly it ended which is a shame because a good night loved by many was brought down by dickheads once again. Giving people an incentive to get single membership would be an idea, such as a free CD and discount entry at their first event.

This certainly is a great thing this membership lark. I hope other promoters take it on board. Keeping the dickheads out keeps nights alive.

Katoosh

Mar 1, 2004
Newton-le-willows
Brill idea!!! :thumbsup: The fact that you can vouch for friends paints a whole different picture for me :D :D :D .

I probably wouldn't be able to go if there was only me from up here but allowing members to bring other people along is great :thumbsup: . Then in turn they will bring others also. So I don't believe it will be as cliquey as you would think. If there were lots of little cliques and nasty attitudes inside that would be more worrying :( .

E

easty

Rightl lets clear some things up here. Butty's idea is not a bad un but when you think about it really then it's a no go on many reasons. First of security, unless you have strict confidence and trust in your door team that they will do as you ask then you are fekked. the people who are concistently causing trouble at these nights are known heads in Manchester and no bouncer within Manchester will refuse entry to these idiots with or without a membership . If the bouncers are gonna be stong and refuse entry to these people then you don't need a membership anyway.
Plus i don't care what anyone says on here, this board is cliquey and it will in my opninion become a closed shop, it is as if your saying lets do our own thing and fekk everyone else. How boring will it become hearing the same dj'd playing the same tunes and looking at the same mashed up faces all the time when you go out. Thats no my idea of fun and it will proper kill the scene as far as sensible peeps going out are concerned as you will all become bored.
There is another way to work things out and it means people on here stop being stuck up and we get some more secure door staff
now what does everyone else think?

Sully

Jul 14, 2003
Manchester
www.S-30.co.uk
If this go's ahead theres enough quality DJ's on here together with the bigger names to have several nights a year without havin the same names on again and again - tbh alot of people like to go and see the same DJ 5-6 times a year cos their style does it for em (just like Stu Allan does for your crew easty mate).

i'm guessin that these nights wont be flyered / postered cos the only folk allowed in will be osa members and vouched guests - so all promoting will be done on osa and by word of mouth. if this is right then the tossers prob wont even know about it and if they do hear abt it they wont get in cos they've no membership card. easty's right sayin that the door team have still gotta be strong but it should be in black and white - no membership, no entry.

i'm for this scheme and think it'll work - prob an idea to move the events around different areas though instead of havin em all in manc / oldham etc, theres over 3500 osa members and a uk tour would go down well.......

E

easty

The point of the whole exercise though was to make nights in MANCHESTER safe. Now even if no night is ever promoted it will still attract attention from the idiots over time as they WILL find out about it. We are talking about drug dealers and scallies who's whole life's depend on whats happening on the streets. Plus if they find out no other idiots are there that will make em even more dtermined to get in. People have been trying to make nights safe in Manchester for over 20 years and no one has succeeded. The trick is to get an honest door team and to have little parties all the time or big events now and again. You try an put regularity and big together and thats how you attract nob heads

'Shabba'

Mar 3, 2003
Sniffing glue........again!
easty said:
The trick is to get an honest door team and to have little parties all the time or big events now and again. You try an put regularity and big together and thats how you attract nob heads

Good luck in finding that door team. :thumbsup:

Also, the original post by butty gives me the impression that the intention is for private doooo's every now and again and not a regular club night!!!!

Admittedly i haven't read anything in between so apologies if i've missed something. :)

I think it's a good idea and well worth a try, it may go tits up but you don't know anything til you give it a try!!!