Trackmarking CDs

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
I want to use some software to trackmark my mixes when I record to CD.

Iv been previously using a Philips Hi-Fi CD recorder but would prefer to use software.

Iv already got Nero Wave Editor and SoundForge although have never really used these but Im fairly sure these programs would allow me to do this - Anyone know how?

Also as I have already trackmarked my CDs when I save the mix to my PC it seperates all the tracks as individual files.

How do I then get them to play as 1 mix without gaps?

Retroandy is currently hosting a mix for me and I know that Im not the only 1 who could do with a bit of help with this.

Any help or suggestions will be really apprecaited. :thumbsup:

GavinH

Jun 16, 2004
Not sure about those software packages Jack, but I use Audio Cleaning Lab (about £10-15 from Amazon).

I record the whole mix directly to pc as one long WAV file. All you do is then just click at the point where you want a new track no. to start and click a button. very simple!

Sorry can't help with your current sofware, but if your looking to get new software, in my opinion you wouldn't get much better for less than with ACL.

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Ok since you have Nero this is easy...

Open Nero choose "audio cd"
Drag Wav/mp3 in the window
R-click it & choose "Properties"
In first tab that appears put "Pause" to 0
On next tab wait till the Waveform is built
Click on the Waveform & play it till you find where you want a track marker (I just put them every 5 minutes or so)
Press Split
Do this for each track (the waveform will now have lots of red lines on where you split it)
Press ok
Nero will pop a box up "are you sure you want to split track into XX tracks"
Press ok
Burn
Play in CD player & observe you now have track markers
Easy

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Cheers fellas, I'll have a play with Nero tonite. :thumbsup:

What about getting them to play as 1 track with no gaps - there must be an easy way burn the CD with them all joined together?

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Playing as one track with no markers?
Just put the complete file in Nero Audio CD & it will be one large track with no markers.

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
JAZ said:
Playing as one track with no markers?
Just put the complete file in Nero Audio CD & it will be one large track with no markers.

I meant when you had several files but you wanted them to play as without any gaps, say like if you recorded a Global Underground CD to the PC each track would be a seperate file.

Iv just sorted it I think using Nero Express as theres an option that allows me not to have gaps.

Iv now can put trackmarks using Nero Express thanks Jaz :thumbsup:

It seems a bit fiddly as the wave form is quite small.

Can it be done in Nero wave editor?

Iv been told Soundforge is probably the best program to trackmark but cant work out how to do that - Anyone know?

Tim Acid

Nov 1, 2003
The Acid House
theacidhouse.com
I do it probably a long winded way but never have problems

I open the complete wav file in an Audio editor - (I use Cool Edit Pro V2)... Then I find where I want my first track to end and drag the mouse from there backwards to highlight this as track 1, then file 'save selection' then delete that from wav.. and do same for each track... that way i can pin point excatly where I want my track to start etc. (confused, you will be)

I have tried Nero Editor - just takes forever to load and the waveform is crap... took me ages to track index, i could have track indexed 4 CD's using my method above in the same amount of time.

With regards to burning tracks without gaps - all you need to do is select all tracks in Nero then go to properties and change pause to '0' - but make sure the 1st track as a '2' second pause otherwise nero will not burn it.

With Mp3 mixes you will need to convert all tracks to wav. otherwise you still get a small gap, dunno why it's just the way it is.

Feck hope all the above makes sense, does not read right.....

Shorty

Mar 11, 2004
ChOrLeY
Nero express should have a tick box to tick just before you click to burn saying something like "no pause between tracks" - Click it :thumbsup:

Trackmarking in Soundforge

Trackmarking in Soundforge in 20 easy(ish) steps! ;)

for this example presume total mix length 70min 30sec with 10 seperate tracks

1. Goto the start of your mix (00:00:00.000)
2. Click Special
3. Click Insert Marker (you will get a line and a tag)
4. Find the parts of your mix where you want the track marks to go
5. Click Special
6. Click Insert Marker
7. Repeat (for a 10 track CD you will have to repeat 9 times)
8. Goto the end of your mix (eg. 01:10:30.000 (for a 70min 30sec mix))
9. Click Special
10. Click Insert Marker

Now you should have your 70min 30sec mix with 11 Markers (1 @ start, 1 @ end & 9 when the tracks change!)

11. Click on Special
12. Click on Regions List
13. Click on Markers to Regions

You will now get a box saying 'All of the Markers in the sound file will be converted to Regions. Are you sure you want to continue?

14. Click Yes

Now all the Markers are Regions and will be named
Region 00:00:00.000 to 00:07:22.123
Region 00:07:22.123 to 00:13:45.567
etc...etc...

15. Click on Tools
16. Click on Extract Regions

A Extract Regions box will appear with all 10 Regions named

17. Select a Destination Folder (eg. c:\my_mix)
18. Click Extract

The program will now 'Extract' each Region and save it to the Destination Folder

19. Close Soundforge
20. Open the destination folder (eg. c:\my_mix)

You should have 10 .wav files saved in it
now burn these 10 files with a 0sec pre-gap

Ponka

Aug 27, 2005
Middleton
www.mcfc.co.uk
okay heres another one then seein as you all cracked the last one so easy!!

say i rip a cd that is already trackmarked can i remove the trackmarks so that it appears in wm player as one long set (multiple tracks take up too much room in the library far too much scrolling etc.)

Any takers !?! lol

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
If you dont have Cooledit you can do the same with a freeware cd extraction program called Cdex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) it's a great free program & is easliy of saleable quality, I use it to rip all my CD's.
Just download it & set it up using the options to set bit rate/audio codec etc & then choose the "Extract a section of the CD" option & just set the start & end to the start/end of the CD & it will spit out a full length MP3.