breakbeat - the ones to look out for?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
just been listening to jonnos quality b'beat bonanza and this is definately the type of music i'd like to get more of. have got a few tracks but not many.

it's post 92 up to the modern stuff i'm looking for, bit of a wide range but I'm not sure what came when.

so who's the definative artists? what are the tracks I should be checking out?

I'm sure a few of you can give some ideas :thumbsup:

Last edited:

db909

Feb 7, 2003
On Ilkley moor without a hat
Also BLIM, Chris carter, Danny Mcmillan Meat katie plumps anything on TCR , whole nine yards
anyone doing a mix on Annie Nightingales show ;)

some of my faves :D

Raw deal - headless horseman rides again blim remix
Elisabeth troy - forever young blim + freq nasty mix
Ils - it's about that time
Vigi and flip - freak frequency
Rennie pilgrem + blim - 2 freaks
Soul of man - killa brew
Zero - emmit/collect remixes

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
Wall of Sound still gets my vote. Heaps of good stuff on it, some of it not necessarily 10/10 material but kind of reliable. Mo Wax / Ninja are pretty much on the money too but are pretty collectable. Grand Central and Tru Thoughts are worth checking for chilled stuff beats although they're definitely more current.

AB45

Dec 31, 2003
Essex
All above and the Drummatic Twins (check out their tune 'Rock Steady' it a corker).
Class tunes this new school breaks and a breath of fresh air. Got that 'english' feel to it that the music did around 1990.
Im well into it at the mo:) :thumbsup:

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
AB45 said:
All above and the Drummatic Twins (check out their tune 'Rock Steady' it a corker).

AKA Shades of Rhythm :)

Anything on Finger Lickin' is usually a safe bet...

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
The daddy of them all, IMO, is Hybrid. They were the artist's that really made a huge WOW on the breaks scene.

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
I remember a brilliant Cut & Paste tune called Forget It, nicey acidy breakbeat number... am I getting confused or were Cut & Paste something to do with Freestylers?

Danny

Jul 22, 2002
London, UK
www.ketoloco.com
Jonno said:
The daddy of them all, IMO, is Hybrid. They were the artist's that really made a huge WOW on the breaks scene.

take a bow that man:thumbsup: ;) cant believe they hadnt been mentioned yet :love:

pm us yer addy grad mate and i'll get a cd or two off to yer filled with a mixture of stuff so you can get a feel for whats good and whats not in your opinion;)

all mentioned so far are top notch producers/djs phones: and like ab45 said, have given dance music a big breath of fresh air ..... breaks have been huge this year and had thousands of people lovin em over in amsterdam etc .....

hybrid - best producers musically imo, but more progressive breaks. some awesome tracks ... remixes more than orig releases
rennie pilgrim - hard very acid influenced breaks, right up your street i imagine
evil9 - more hip hop influenced but very good breaks
danny mcmillan - been around ages but his nu-skool breaks are bad ass
plump djs - different style of breaks, not my style really
hyper - grab any of his remixes, all top stuff
freq nasty - kinda d'n'b influenced breaks with dirty rappin, hard breaks thou and sum good stuff ... check hybrid - higher than a skyscraper (freq nasty remix) :thumbsup:
meat katie - loadsa mint tunage
aquasky and masterblaster - dirty quality breaks
orbital - some of their new stuff
christian j - always mint remixes
lee coombes
freestylers
stanton warriors
way out west

'distinctive' is my fave label, then theres marine parade (which sadly aint no more :cry: - so grab the labels better tracks from adam freeland etc) theres tonnes more

errrmm when i get home i'll list some quality tracks, labels etc .... got a a load of work on at the mo :cry: and as someone said before (cant remember who :$ ) annie nightingales shows are always spot on for quality breaks :thumbsup:

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
10/10

Mike said:
I remember a brilliant Cut & Paste tune called Forget It, nicey acidy breakbeat number... am I getting confused or were Cut & Paste something to do with Freestylers?

spot on mike yep it was one half of the freestylers and one half of the plump djs. Mad some really good stuff. There was a good one called half term break that used the riff from grange hill. Forget it was inspired by chemical beats.

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
pauly p said:
love da beakz :p

anything from the Freestylers, Rennie Pilgrim, Adam Freeland, DeeJay Punk Roc, Forme, Freddy Fresh, Bassbin twins, Cut la Roc, Freq Nasty, Stanton Warriors,

Labels: Marine Parade, early Skint, Ninja tune,

Didn't even know you liked breakbeat Pauly!

I like virtually all Hybrid's stuff and really rate the stantons.

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
Danny said:
pm us yer addy grad mate and i'll get a cd or two off to yer filled with a mixture of stuff so you can get a feel for whats good and whats not in your opinion;)
:

nice one danny, will do :thumbsup:

got a couple of hybrid mixes lying about will have another listen

hybrid - remix and additional production
&
hybrid - in the mix

I think both of them are just hybrid mixing their own remixes..

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Yea yea am digging some of the names so far...

Hows about these...

Jonny L - Sawtooth - 1998

Omni Trio - Haunted Science - 1996 (the awesome 'Haunted Kind' slow-mo lovely track)
Omni Trio - Byte Size Life - 1999
Omni Trio - Even Angels Cast Shadows - 2001

Just for a taste of the (what I deem) more classy breaks stuff, beautifully crafted. phones: :love:

:thumbsup: