Please help- retreiving data

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I have lost some 5000 words of data over the last day.

Firstly, one essay saved (3000) to disc has come up all funny squares and shapes when i try to bring it up in word. This one is not so bad as i have printed a majority of it out once, so i can quickly retype if push comes to shove (well i am a one finger typer so it will still take ages).

Secondly, and more disturbingly is some 2500 words of an introduction to a major research proposal- worst bit is i had my full essay plan and refferences collected from the last few months tagged on the end. To make matters owrse i did a majority of the wordage, and all the essay plan directly from my not-so- brilliant mind directly to pc. When i came to pop the disc in (same one as used above) this am to make a few adjustments, the bastard was blank apart form above mentioned work- which even then was wonky.

Where is my essay? It was all typed on a uni pc over the last few weeks, so no chance of it being on mine here at home. I will check at uni- but i know from previous spazziness that no work is saved automatically, and i no for a fact i only saved this to disc.

Oh and both are due it at 1.30 today, or its stacking shelves at Kwiky for me.

:crazy:

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
What versions of word are you using and what operating systems ?? XP ??

Can anyone have saved over the document to piss you off ???

Does the document not work only on your works computer ???

Have you tried opening it on another PC ??

Could be a corrupt Normal template

start \ search \ files & folders

look for normal.dot

its usually in applicaion data in th MS office folder. It is a template document.

Delete it or rename it to old.doc or anything, open work again. this will recreate the template. This will also fix the error message "Winword.exe has generated error's" :)

Need a little more information about the document though hun, try the above and let me know :)

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
if you had the second document and were working on it from Uni for the last week then you must have saved it somewhere to load it up next time to continue your work. When you load it at uni where do you get it from ??

Sounds to me like you either have pish old systems at uni and a new one at home and the one at home wont support the word doc cause there that fucking old, or its the other way round,

But then again your female, the documents could be floating round Mars :p

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Stand back folks, drama over!

Lol wrong disc hence it being blank :$ .

I arrived at the library all flusterd a while ago and nearly started screaming and wailing to poor geeky library man/boy and off we went to the pc i was using yesterday, and hoofeckingray there it was still inside. Lol the problem is all these little balck disc's look the same.

Sorry to anyone whose time i have wasted, and thanks Cam for suggesting ways of help :thumbsup: .

Amelie (aka, thick as pigshit).

:)

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
The Joker said:
we've all done summat like that tho hun, so ur not alone!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yep thats right hun, you go ahead and speak for the rest of us (and I use the term loosely) normal people.

We were all going to go an admit to making these mistakes as well just like as you say you and Amelie do

Does that sound sarcastic ?

cause it should !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Joker Jen

VIP Gold Member
Oct 8, 2001
Secret Location in Gotham City
cam said:
Yep thats right hun, you go ahead and speak for the rest of us (and I use the term loosely) normal people.

We were all going to go an admit to making these mistakes as well just like as you say you and Amelie do

Does that sound sarcastic ?

cause it should !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
really u've never ever had a pc disaster type moments???

hmmmmmmmm let me refresh ur memory cos it seems 2 need a reboot, who was the 1 that decided it was a gud idea 2 do sum upgrades 2 his m8's mum's pc & cocked it up that much it needed a full install of windows 2 make it work again..........................

I'm sure that I'll b able 2 find out more dr cam pc disasters n all :p :p :p :p :p

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
Nope that was not my fault it was a Win32 file which corrupt I didnt have anything to do with it, I was just on it at the time and hence cause there computer iliturate I was held responcible, cause i was held respioncible and theres no way they could reinstall the op system i had to get a mate to do it for me :D

not my fault :D :D :D :p :p

Try again hun

Joker Jen

VIP Gold Member
Oct 8, 2001
cam said:
Nope that was not my fault it was a Win32 file which corrupt I didnt have anything to do with it, I was just on it at the time and hence cause there computer iliturate I was held responcible, cause i was held respioncible and theres no way they could reinstall the op system i had to get a mate to do it for me :D

not my fault :D :D :D :p :p

Try again hun
u'll say owt 2 make it sound like it weren't ur fault, but it was fine b4 u touched it & then after u've been on it it wudn't work, u were fiddlin doin stuff with it & alcohol played no part in that nite did it now :p :p :p :p

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
The Joker said:
u'll say owt 2 make it sound like it weren't ur fault, but it was fine b4 u touched it & then after u've been on it it wudn't work, u were fiddlin doin stuff with it & alcohol played no part in that nite did it now :p :p :p :p

Typical user LMFAO it was fine before you touched it blah blah blah.

Microsfts a fine company isnt it hun, nothing ever goes wrong with its products and it never brings out half baked Operating Systems that are floored to fuck, then having to bring out updates to rectify all the problems the operating stsyem has when people click on that error box, that never appears when problems dont occur :p :p :p :p :rofl:

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Amelie said:
Stand back folks, drama over!

Lol wrong disc hence it being blank :$ .

......we went to the pc i was using yesterday, and hoofeckingray there it was still inside. Lol the problem is all these little balck disc's look the same.

Amelie strikes back! lol :rofl: Hey, atleast you had A disk in this time! hahaha. You were lucky the disk was still in the library machine :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Like me, you dont tend to mix well with computer gadgetry do you lol.

Sorry, had to have a dig, its rather funny. :)

Sirius.

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
The Joker said:
How typical of a bloke 2 blame everythin & anythin, instead of standin up & sayin yep I was on it at the time, it was my fault, those words jus don't compute do they :p :p :p :p

LOL i would say how typical of a woman to have blinkers on to the truth, what is it you females see,

££££££££
Shoes
Shoe Protection
Cute Animals

Dont think anything else goes through the female mind does it ??? I know for a fact the point I raised about Microsoft being pretty shit and releasing its products before fully tested wont enter there even though ive proved it you still wont understand what i mean........... here ill try again in your language.

Microsoft is a company that has lots of ££££ it make shoes and those shoe straps snap very often, so it sends out new shoe straps to its customers to repair the broken straps, However some times it releases lovely litte cute animals, these animals eat the shoes so it then Microsoft releases shoe protection to stop those cute animals eating its shoes. Now if Microsoft had just made Shoes that's straps didnt break, it wouldnt need to realese all the shoe straps to replace the broken ones, and if it trained its cute animals to NOT eat the shoes then it wouldnt need shoe protection.

It doesnt though sadly it just bangs out its shoes left right and center.........

Now you see where im coming from hun :D

God im good to you having to explain these things in your language :D

Joker Jen

VIP Gold Member
Oct 8, 2001
I'm sure that a lot of the female population wud understand wot u've replied with but it makes no sense 2 me wotsoever!! The only shoes I've ever had an interest in r metal & nailed 2 a horses hooves!! now if u'd explained in those terms I might have understood wot u were talkin bout!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

anyways ur gettin away from the fact that the pc was workin fine until u got ur pished mitts on it & then hey presto it's not workin at all!! If this was a bug down 2 Microsoft releasin the OS 2 early how come it needed a full windows install & not jus the latest service pack 2 fix it???:p :p :p :p

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
Now im sure i never said the problem was because of MS realesing there operating system early, im sure I said it was a corrupt file and tried to explain to you that MS DO release there operating systems to early and it is the cause of a lot of bugs etc but I didnt blame this event on MS, however it was a PC error and it was a corrupt FAT file or sumat like that, which I had no control over at all as the PC wouldnt boot up, which means that I couldnt have changed anything, unless I went into the BIOS which I never ;)

You need to read the posts properly and also if your not sure about what your speaking about, be carefull in what you say ;) :p

:p :p :p :p: P :p :p :p :p :p