book about clubbing at legends warrington 1990-92

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
Hi :wave:
Has anyone read the book "brass" by helen walsh.

Its about a young girls obsession with the house music era, and her love of legends nightclub in warrington. Its apparently wrote as a diary accounting events, drugs, lifestyle etc.

I've read an exert from the book and it sounds really interesting, But i would value anyones opinion before i buy.

Cheers
italooldskool ;) ;)

Myk

Ive read the short story she published in the Warrington Guardian not long ago called "My First Love" which was about her going to Legends etc. That was brilliantly written. If that is anything to go buy Brass will be a worthy read, although I thought it was set in Liverpool and was about her and a prostitute friend running rife with scouse gangsters and what not.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
The book "Brass" is a fictional piece that isn't about Legends at all, unfortunately. I haven't read it myself but Amelie has, she didn't rate it as amazing. She's round ours in a bit so I'll get her to give you the full lowdown.

The Legends piece was for The Observer, purely done as a factual article in one of the magazines. IMO it was a brilliant piece of work written straight from the heart. It's here if you want to read it again:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1150752,00.html

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I have read Brass, and bought it just because Helen Walsh's piece in The Observer was so fantastic. I felt that she really captured the feelings of any young female who got caught up (willingly) in the whole club culture. As someone who went to my first venture into that world- a warehouse party at the tender age of 14, and subsequently letting it take over my whole life, indeed sacrificing everything from school to family just to keep going out- i really felt she hit home in that article just how empty you feel when it is over. I loved her heartfelt and honest emotion, the way she openly admitted to treating her mother so badly in her quest to be part of something so special. I can clearly remember my mum's anguish when i would climb out of my bedroom window on a friday evening (armed with nothing but all my babysitting money, some deodarant, a can of hairspay, and of course the obligatory dewberry oil) not to return till late sunday night. Like Helen i was ignorant to others feelings- all that matterd was to be at my friends for pick up time. She echoed my sentiments exactly when she said she felt it was a secret she did not want to share, yet i times i remember almost bursing with pride and wanting to tell everyone what exactly i got up to at the weekends. But unfortunatly the warmth and compassion that she displayed in that article did not happen with 'Brass'.

The predominant problem with Brass was the main character 'Millie O'Riley', I did not like her, i saw nothing but anger and hatred. I disliked her to the point where i actually did not care what happened to her. I think that this was intentional on Walsh's part, she wanted the character to be so messed up from her years of clubbing that she was left drained and bitter, but unlike writers such as Irvine Welsh who sucessfully manage to create distasetfull charachters such as Juice Terry in 'Glue'- who although you find abhorrent you still feel some pull towards. I think that the problem is that Millie was not built up enough, Walsh did not elaborate on why she was fucked, Walsh simply portrayed her in my eyes as an annoying middle class brat with an attitude problem and an unremitting desire for underage female prostitues.

I am guessing that the whole underage thing was a direct link to what Walsh felt happened in her own life. I am presuming that by making Millie a sexual deviant in this way she is making a parrallel between entering the whole culture at puberty, and as the scene inevitably took over every aspect of her life, she feels in some way robbed of those initial sexual expeiriences that she missed, hence the desire to be sexual with a young girl (a subsitute, a mirror maybe for her former self). I apreciate this, but felt it was not explaned enough. Instead Millie came across as a sadistic perv who actually took pleasure in almost assaulting very young girls.

Overall i felt that the book relied far to heavily on shock tactics of sex and drugs. It was graphic on both accounts, although sometimes i felt that it was purley to be considered 'gritty' and 'raw', when in actual fact the sex scenes just came across as a Jackie Collins book set in Toxteth.

The ending was crap, really poor- like a hollywood film that might as well have 'to be continued' as the credits closed. I will read the follow up though, as the other lead character in the book, 'Jamie', Millie's best freind was a good bloke, belivable etc so i would like to know how his life pans out.

I would give this book 6 out of 10, saved from a bellow 5 by the good descriptions of freindships formed whilst clubbing, and the few good referrences to the aftermath of feelings that can occur after something amazing had ended.

And before anyone does any crazy qouting re: grammer/spelling ( :naughty: ) all i can say is its down to the fact that double english was on a monday morning and a friday afternoon :fekked: . I do not care, lol my english is weak but my memories are strong. And given the chance- i would do it all over again :)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Amelie said:
... a sexual deviant... a sadistic perv... sex and drugs. 'Gritty' and 'raw', the sex scenes just came across as a Jackie Collins book set in Toxteth (phwoar, scouse whore! woo woo) ... amazing

Well, that's me sold, I'm ordering a copy right away, under the covers here we come... :eek:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
northern minx said:
that makes two of us babe :) i can trully resonate with one, we were totally blessed to have been a part of it all, special special times :love: :love:

btw Amelie - u really ought to be a writer :thumbsup: you capture yr reader :p

Cheers Minx, lol although i do tend to go on and on- you lot got the edited version :$

DeeDee

May 13, 2002
Over the hill in St Helens
ive got this book ordered to read on me jollies (thats if i get time to bloody read anything!)
Amelie: excellent review, i see a career as a critic for you! i would love to have a way with words like that!

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
How good a critic is amelie, :fekked:

You should write a book about the early house scene yourself, we would all rush out and buy it. As for the double english on a monday and friday, what would your literary skills be like if it was tuesdauy and thursday instead.

excellent review, well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

italooldskool ;) ;)

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Nah, it would never work. See the problem is i had that much of a good time i only remember the odd bits and pieces :)

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
lol

Jonno said:
The book "Brass" is a fictional piece that isn't about Legends at all, unfortunately. I haven't read it myself but Amelie has, she didn't rate it as amazing. She's round ours in a bit so I'll get her to give you the full lowdown.

The Legends piece was for The Observer, purely done as a factual article in one of the magazines. IMO it was a brilliant piece of work written straight from the heart. It's here if you want to read it again:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1150752,00.html

Tis a quality publication thats why ;) I had to go and give the Observer music monthly staff shit though for having the stone roses as number one all time britsh album and having screamadelica at bloody 68.

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
hhmmmm

nathan said:
Tis a quality publication thats why ;) I had to go and give the Observer music monthly staff shit though for having the stone roses as number one all time britsh album and having screamadelica at bloody 68. ?Amelie you said you'd do it all over again but have you been to an old skool night lately? Or do you mean you'd do it all over again back in the day?

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
nathan said:
nathan said:
Tis a quality publication thats why ;) I had to go and give the Observer music monthly staff shit though for having the stone roses as number one all time britsh album and having screamadelica at bloody 68. ?Amelie you said you'd do it all over again but have you been to an old skool night lately? Or do you mean you'd do it all over again back in the day?

No Nath, as i am sure you are aware i have not been to an old skool night lately, my reasons are pretty obvious. My 'i would go back and do it all over again' was directed at me stating that regardless of the issues and problems of being part of someting that young, ie missing quite a chunk of education, i found it so fantastic dispite the bittersweet aftertaste that if i had my time again i would not change a thing.

:)