Apple IPods...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Im going digital n buying one of those 40GB fellas in the next week or so..

Whats peoples opinions on these..They seem the business IMO but..

Are they worth the money??

Is it easy enuff to whack MP3s on from your comp?

More Importantly, how easy is it to use in your car..Im not too sure about these, they look a bit flimsy..

t4332lla_125.jpg

or these..

t7420lla_125.jpg

These look smart but I bet they cost a packet...

Denison Systems

OR should I just get an MP3 Car System n sack em all together lol :D

:thumbsup:

smiley

Apr 5, 2004
i haven't brought an iPod but i use iTunes for PC for all my MP3 stuff, old mixes included. it's a great interface, much easier to use than Music Jukebox.
downloading from your computer to iPod is piss-simple apparently, just a USB connection and a hit of the key.
car tape adapters are fine though, i use mine with my MD on long trips all the time and have never had any problems, but those radio frequency things for iPods have have a few bugs from what i've heard... then there's the whole iPod battery issue. apparently they up and die (they may have fixed this problem) and you have to send your unit back to Cupertino, CA (Apple HQ) for 'mending'.
have you checked the new Hi-MD format Sony have just brought out? high capacity mini-discs that work like a removeable hard drive in effect...

lippiatte

Apr 1, 2004
Orlando, Florida, USA
the only thing that i was disappointed to learn was that you can NOT transfer mp3's from your ipod to your computer....only from computer to ipod. something about piracy and filesharing. :$

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
lol

I can tell you anything you need to know. Basically I'm an apple kinda nut. Own a mini blue ipod but kinda been working with macs and mac forums since 1994. Basically you want an itrip its legal in your country but not in ours ;) you select the frequency you want to broadcast from and you can listen to your ipod on your radio in the house or in the car. Basically go for it You'll never look back its the best thing I ever owned in my life. I sit in the garden in the sun with my ipod with its 150 chillout tunes and I am in heaven. Any more questions pm me fella

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
They're expensive and due to them having white headphone leads, it's become an obvious thiefs target, they see the white cord going to your ears and will swipe the player, quick as a flash.

I've not tried one, but I did try the software, and on a PC it sucked, and crashed a lot of my other programs, rendering winamp useless, and I had to un-install it all and re-install a lot of programs.

Not sure how it compares price wise, but I bought a creative nomad jukebox zen, which has been fookin' ace, I've got the 20gig version, which has taken me 18 months to fill (!)

You can get them in 20/40/60 gig now, 40 gig version on ebay brand new with a buy it now option for only £189 < Might treat myself to a new one, and sell my old one :hubba:

Lastability is very good, and battery life hasn't suffered at all, I get 11 hours out of mine at a time, which has been perfect for my 11 hour nightshifts...

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
I've had a 20GB Ipod for 18 months or so now, without a doubt it's one of my better technology purchases, I've bought a couple of shockers over the last 3 or 4 years. I reckon you need to ask yourself how much music you want to carry around with you though, 40GB is around 4000 10 minute tracks if they're compressed at 192kbps. I find that 20GB is too much space and I regularly need to clear mine down so that I can find stuff as all this ID3 tag navigation that most of the MP3 players (including the Ipod) use is terrible. Just seeing a list of files and directories is plenty good enough for me as I'm really not interested in searching by genre, or album name or artist particularly when the tag data may well be wrong.. I've got one of those Itrips and they're pretty average IMO, the signal strength isn't quite strong enough, I have to have the Ipod within 2 foot of the aerial to get a listenable signal, so thats consigned to the bottom drawer with the other shockers :|

Thats bollox about the one way traffic between the Ipod and the PC too, I do it all the time between work and home and vice versa. As for software, dump the supplied software and get yourself a copy of Ephpod, it's free'ish transfer software and it's grand.

www.ephpod.com

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
I've been researching buying one of these and I have came to the conclusion the I-pod is over priced & underpowered when compared to the best of the competition.
I am going to buy the I-river 40gb player as it has every feature you need (shows as removable drive/plays EVERY format/upgradeable firmware/has a digital & analog line in/radio/remote control/better than pod battery life/in fact every option you can think of really)
I spent a lot of time looking at all the pro's & cons of all the major players as its going to be a big investment for me & I wanted the best value/performance available & this player is designed for people who want it all, all the other players had at least 1 flaw that I couldnt live with but this I-River has none.
Its also over £100 cheaper than the I-pod, seriously look at this player before you spend your money as it really is the best drive based player out at the moment.

Oh & bluejammer that E-bay one looks ok but wait till you get stung on import duty for it..

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Cheers for the feedback fellas.. :thumbsup:

The main reason Im seriously thinking about getting one is for the car. Ive been without one for a bit n Im buying one very soon and I want to be able to play MP3s of all the old sets Ive accumulated (Cheers Alan n Noel :D :thumbsup: )..

The best way to do this I think is to buy one of these Ipods and just whack the lot on there, get one of these car kits and away you go..

Cant you buy in car chargers for the Ipods??? Surely that would sort out the battery issue..?

I was looking into those IRivers (not in too much detail) and they look very good indeed, the reviews are very favourable...couple of things though, I couldnt find anything on in-car kits, and would Ipod users have bought one of these if theyd been around at the same time??

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
I'd have a bought an in car kit for the Ipod for hooking it up to the stereo, the battery life doen't come into it as at 18 months old it still lasts for 8 or 9 hours. It baffles me why car stereos don't have an easy to get at line in on them, as thats all you really need for the sound. If your main use is for the car get yourself an in car stereo that plays mp3's, won't look as good but you can pick them up for around a ton I think.

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Im pretty sure those in car kit things would work on any mp3 player as surely they just take the output from the headphone socket & send it through to the tape bit you put in your car stereo, but I think its something you should research a bit if thats what you want to mainly use it for.
If its just for the car why not consider a mp3 cd car stereo as there cheap to buy & cdr's cost pennies & the battery life is not an issue.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
JAZ said:
If its just for the car why not consider a mp3 cd car stereo as there cheap to buy & cdr's cost pennies & the battery life is not an issue.

I have thought of that too..But at the moment I havent got any facility to burn CDs :$ , and I quite like the idea of sticking everything Ive got on MP3 on one piece of equipment and it being mobile too, so I can use it other cars.. :S

Too many choices lol :cool:

Devious

Mar 28, 2003
Bolton
www.devious.me.uk
skippy said:
i think these are the neatest, they've thought of everything and it all works perfectly -

av120_dvr.jpg

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500432_specs.html

:king:

I sold mine on ebay for £220 a few months back , not because it wasnt good I just needed money rapid stylee.

Its an incredible piece of technology and everything works well except the video recorder wasnt brilliant but Ive heard they have improved it with later versions. Amazing to take on your hols with you , I had 10 or so full 2 hour movies on there as well as thousands of old skool mp3's :thumbsup:

I also captured some funny moments with the camera and vid recorder also.

The swiss army knife of gadjets :love: Think i may buy another when I'm flush again.

Eddy Osborne

Sep 4, 2002
lippiatte said:
the only thing that i was disappointed to learn was that you can NOT transfer mp3's from your ipod to your computer....only from computer to ipod. something about piracy and filesharing. :$

Mate this is what there supposed to do but just play around with it and u can do it no problem :thumbsup:

Ive had a 20gb i-pod for about a year and its the bees knees. I got a in-car charger for it in hong kong for about £7, i think there around £15 here. I only really use it for the car so I have the i-trip to go with it and its great as u can alsoo tune into the frequency through your home stereo aswell etc etc

However in the first picture u posted konspiricy (the tape with the wire) my mate uses one of these for his car and it works just as good including the sound (if you want for thios option it would save a few pennies) However u wudnt be able to work it on your home stereo

I would highly recommend it :thumbsup:

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Liquid E said:
I only really use it for the car so I have the i-trip to go with it and its great as u can alsoo tune into the frequency through your home stereo aswell etc etc

I think thats exactly what Im after..., probably because Im gonna buy a new car stereo anyway AND I want mi MP3s all on one mobile device...

So this i-trip, how reliable is it, has it ever gone tits up..?

Eddy Osborne

Sep 4, 2002
Its the size of a clipper lighter i'd say and u just click it in on the top of your i-pod. The only problem ive ever had with it is if you tune it in to a frequency when your driving around different areas you may get a bit of interferance apart from that, its perfect. I think my mate has an i-trip for sale. Pm me if u want it. :thumbsup: