Easy one....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Why is it that when I put a CD in my CD drive (say "Microsoft Office"), run some files off it (eg Word) then take the CD out and put in another CD (ie Tombraider Chronicles or whatever) it STILL displays the last CD's contents in the windows explorer folder? Even if I turn the explorer off, reload it, its still showing the old CD - even when I right click 'refresh'. I double click a file and its still trying to access the old Cd's files and reports its 'invalid file' or something.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers

Sirius.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Yeah, I have reformatted since I built it. I have two optical devices direct onto the IDE1 and IDE2 slots on the motherboard becuase I thought as I have a SATA disk drive I might aswell have them seperate rather then master/slave on a single IDE cable.

I installed the drivers that came on the mobo CD, and after I got WinXP Pro Sp1 on the other day I did a windows update which included new updated Nvidea drivers - but I dont know what it was updating - it may have just been the Sandstorm.

The strange thing is that some CD's do it, yet others are ok :confused: Did you get that?

Sirius.

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Cant remember whether some did it/some didnt, you should get the latest NForce drivers from that link I posted as cd ones are normally out of date.
You could try turning on/off auto insert notification and see if that sorts it out, just get Tweak UI goto the "my computer" part in it, then to "autoplay" then "types" and tick/untick the "enable autoplay for cd/dvd"
This might not help at all but its worth a try.

Myk

As Jaz said update the drivers from Nvidia. The ones XP updates from within Windows Update are only for the Vid Card and are infact out of date. They are WHQL Microsoft signed but that counts for fkuc all and youre much better off with the Nvidia ones.

BTW Sirius which Vid card did you get finally ?

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Cheers Myk. Im gonna dl the drivers and see what happens. I baught an ASUS RADEON A9600XT in the end - it had good reviews. 128mb is good enough for me, lol. I can already see the difference to my old Geforce 64mb card and I havent even run any games yet!.

I need to sort out how to connect my DigiboxTV to the PC, or I may get a TV card. I have a hard disk video recorder and Id forgot the other reason I wanted one was to record the essential mix to a timed schedule, I didnt get one with the computer cos i forgot about all that!

Is the card any good Myk? You can be honest, even though its too late now - I dont mind.

Cheers

Sirius.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Thank fook for that! :phew:

I got Tombraider 'Angel of Darkness' and Tom Clancys Rainbow Six 3 Ravenshield games with the gear, and a voucher for Half life 2 or whatever its called, so Im gonna be testing the bad bwoy out soon. Im not really a games person - besides Tony Hawks Pro skater lol, but it may be good for a change to the routine.

Cheerio

Sirius.