Asha - Jj Tribute

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

old skool

Nov 18, 2005
stockton-on-tees
it is amazing to think how one single,relatively unimportant man who few ppl know and lives so far away has brought so much happiness to so many ppls lives,and its a shame that so many good producers fade into obscurity to never be seen again.

personally,this was THE tune that just sealed my love for old skool and remains in my top 3,actually nearly cried once wen it came on in a club,just that piano,oh that paino:)

its the most complex sampling ive cum across, if you read the lyrics to ball and chain,u think how the hell did they get wot they did from that

mr ASHA u are simply a legend and a hero to us all,your not gonna find a bigger source of old skool information,memories etc anywher else so stick around:thumbsup:

DMX

Feb 5, 2011
@ASHA:

1) Did you play the whole piano part or is it sampled too (like the vocals)?

2) What equipment did you use for the piano? Korg M1? Roland U-220? ...?

3) Do you know the "bootleg"/"cover"/"remix" from NRG called "you got me"?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_J2ky4AGGI&feature=related]YouTube - LIQUID CRYSTAL - YOU GOT ME [MASSIVE OLDSKOOL HARDCORE PIANO ANTHEM][/ame]

See the crowd going mad on your piano :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDFME0qlUlM]YouTube - N.R.G. - You got me @ Retro Suite 16-1-04 (Por AleMG)[/ame]

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk

ASHA

Feb 20, 2004
Milan (Italy)
www.myspace.com
@ASHA:

1) Did you play the whole piano part or is it sampled too (like the vocals)?

2) What equipment did you use for the piano? Korg M1? Roland U-220? ...?

3) Do you know the "bootleg"/"cover"/"remix" from NRG called "you got me"?

1) The piano part is all played.

2) Korg M3R

3) No. It's a very interesting version, have you some news about it ?
now I am posting the video in the ASHA facebook page
A.S.H.A. - JJ TRIBUTE | Facebook

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Can I just add my little opinion, this is a track which did nothing of note down here in the SE so far as I can recall. The scene was trying to become harder and harder during 90/91 and therefore there was little space for piano tracks generally. This is our loss and adds to the age old arguement of North vs South and musical taste.

I have only just got my hands on a copy of the original pressing and it will sit pride of place as the production levels are great and it is a track which realy works musically, not just samples, drum tracks and a few beeps etc as was fairly typical of 1990.

:thumbsup:

S

DMX

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for your answer Dario! :wave:

3) No. It's a very interesting version, have you some news about it ?

It's from the well-known breatbeat & hardcore producer "N.R.G." aka "Liquid Crystal" (real name "Neil Gavin Rumney") which released it in 1993.

R-145843-1184266529.jpeg

Liquid Crystal - Chromatic EP (Vinyl) at Discogs

Hope you got some royalties of the sample clearing :) But i don't know if somebody cared about this in those early sampling years...

By the way: Who owns the rights of your tune actually (regarding to remix requests)?