The METRO Saltcoats, Scotland

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

martin_d

Dec 5, 2003
What a club of this nature was doing in a provincial small town in Scotland I have no idea, but between, 1990 and 1991 it was the place to be. Anyone else here go to the place?

turpieaj

Feb 15, 2003
sunshine on Leith, via Watford
aye me

Yo Martin,

I used to travel from Edinburgh nearly every week to go there me and my mates had some blinding times..Ok the mixing weren't that great but the vibe the place had if you could only have bottled it. Remember tripping out and seeing this massive projector screen lower down to the dancefloor and they played the quickening scene from "Highlander".Sheer madness!

Top tunes I remember from the Metro:

Disco Brothers Do it to me one more time
Parnters in Crime - Gotham City Strikes Back
Beltram - Energy Flash
CJ Bolland Horsepower/Mindwar
The Mackenzie - Cyclotron

The list is endless chief!

M

Mig

:D :D :D :D

Went there a few times but not a patch on the old Pavillion at Ayr when the Streetrave nights were on - happy days :D :D :D :D

Best one ever was the Warp tour seeing LFO and Nightmares on Wax doing live PAs. :love: :love: :love:

Best venue and vibe ever in my opinion :thumbsup:

rebelbhoy

Feb 22, 2006
Ayr
martin_d said:
What a club of this nature was doing in a provincial small town in Scotland I have no idea, but between, 1990 and 1991 it was the place to be. Anyone else here go to the place?

been many a night m8(being from ayr)was a top night in the early days
(before all the growlers)still ayr piv kicked its ass!!!!

SrDave89

Sep 19, 2008
ayr piv rocked so did metro etc etc

Hiya guys, aye the piv is at the forefront of my best raving days, 89' onwards. During those days was a regular at metro too,and one night that sticks in my head was when nomad and mikey freedom were performing,( i wanna give you devotion) pka, evolution other nights oh i could go on..emm...dont have enuff braincells left to remember at this time sorry.

iM A STREETRAVE MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH THOUGH.

Anyone ever go to armadale vu peak?:spin:

TiNNiE

May 2, 2006
scotland
i miss that vibe of the metro everything about the place was spot on apart from joe deacon whose mixin was sheer pants but managed to belt out some real crackin italian stompers that iv still to find id's for
(the fox's who owned it were complete wankers.)
90 to mid 93 i was there every weekend includin the sunday all dayer caked out my eye balls jumpin about on tables with no top on covered in vicks sniffin a bottle of poppers much to the amusment of my brother who was a bouncer there at the time which got me a swift kick in the baws and flung up againts the shutters afterwards. happy days :thumbsup:

any one mind of scott gibson and tony curlet use to dj there?, they done a engagement party at the pleasuredome in irvine for a m8 of mine best night iv ever had.

the metro is up for sale last i heard its either goin to be flats or some thing else no idea what tho ,its also still got the same carpets chairs u name it from back then so my nephews bird told us.

i dont post as im lazy but seen this couldnt resist :wave:

Attachments

• l_b2fd36194c608845ee6983fa511f5d7b.jpg
    l_b2fd36194c608845ee6983fa511f5d7b.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 15,468

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
Scott Gibson went on to become a Resident DJ at the Arena in Middlesbrough and sure he used to work in Tuftribe records in Boro also.

Never had the pleasure of Hanger 13 or Metro, my samples of the Scottish scene were Rezerection, Fubar, Bishops in Elgin (DJ'd there a few times), Kick N Hard, all around Inverness in pokey little club nights put on by me mate and some club in Edinburgh way up the North End of Princess Street that I cant mind the name of.

turpieaj

Feb 15, 2003
some club in Edinburgh way up the North End of Princess Street that I cant mind the name of.

Possibly could have been The Venue at the back of Waverly Station resident DJs there were Twitch and Brainstorm played more acid techno and Derrick May used to play there regularly or a couple of hundred yards down Calton Road was the Calton Studios (my local). Happy days

turpieaj

Feb 15, 2003
i miss that vibe of the metro everything about the place was spot on apart from joe deacon whose mixin was sheer pants but managed to belt out some real crackin italian stompers that iv still to find id's for
(the fox's who owned it were complete wankers.)
90 to mid 93 i was there every weekend includin the sunday all dayer caked out my eye balls jumpin about on tables with no top on covered in vicks sniffin a bottle of poppers much to the amusment of my brother who was a bouncer there at the time which got me a swift kick in the baws and flung up againts the shutters afterwards. happy days :thumbsup:

any one mind of scott gibson and tony curlet use to dj there?, they done a engagement party at the pleasuredome in irvine for a m8 of mine best night iv ever had.

the metro is up for sale last i heard its either goin to be flats or some thing else no idea what tho ,its also still got the same carpets chairs u name it from back then so my nephews bird told us.

i dont post as im lazy but seen this couldnt resist :wave:

Lol - Knew it well, used to visit the Metro alternate weeks with the Calton Studios. No one from Edinburgh had heard of it tbh so we used to drive through until DJ Crosbie got a residency there and managed to jump on the Corstorphine bus. A top venue, great music with dodgy mixing (but better than mine) and top atmosphere before it started going hardcore in 93..PAs that I remember where Monica De Luxe, BBG, dream frequency and If Tinnie can confirm Carl Cox did a 3 deck italio set:fekked: one night. @Tinnie I think the main owner was Eddie Fox? Looked slightly like one of the proclaimers if I remember:thumbsup:

martin_d

Dec 5, 2003
Lol - Knew it well, used to visit the Metro alternate weeks with the Calton Studios. No one from Edinburgh had heard of it tbh so we used to drive through until DJ Crosbie got a residency there and managed to jump on the Corstorphine bus. A top venue, great music with dodgy mixing (but better than mine) and top atmosphere before it started going hardcore in 93..PAs that I remember where Monica De Luxe, BBG, dream frequency and If Tinnie can confirm Carl Cox did a 3 deck italio set:fekked: one night. @Tinnie I think the main owner was Eddie Fox? Looked slightly like one of the proclaimers if I remember:thumbsup:

turpie,did you come through to the Metro with any Hibs crew?

TiNNiE

May 2, 2006
scotland
im not sure about the carl cox thing turpieaj i was mostly spakkered it wouldnt suprise me if he did due to the massive popularity the club had at one time even goin so far as bein recomended best night out in britain back in 91 in some magazine before all the numpties started the growlin .
as for owners eddie fox was a complete wanker so was his brother few m8s did the glass collectin there as well as my big brother bein one of the head bouncers so they seen all the shit happening behind the scenes ,likes of turning the water off and chargin folk a pound for a pint of water, turning the heating on so folk buy it .
the growling thing was all to do with drugs rebelbhoy fighting between kilwinning ,saltcoats and load from glasgow think it was wishaw not sure was so long ago but i do remember standing near one of the chapmans who was dealin in there at the time gettin stabbed then running out refusing a ambulance.
i could go on and on theres so much memorys i have of the place due to that special vibe and atmosphere like dancin in the toilet while mno - gods of abraham was belting out and some poor **** was lyin in the piss tray spakkered out his nut with folk standin over him tryin to have a slash
funny times and happy times.
best night there ever was sunday all dayer 7 with bizzare inc in july91 dunno if you went to that one turpieaj what a night .got home at 8am jumpin about the kitchen with me m8 to the new metro tape with eyes liek saucers chewing chewing gum thinkin we were still there and me mum sayin
"ok,,,ill stick the kettle on then shall i" ;) ;) :thumbsup:

Metrohead

Sep 17, 2009
The Metro is back....doing Old Skool, Fri 18th Sep 2009

Hey, just a shoutout mentioning that the glorious Metro is back, doing an Old Skool mix this Friday! A dream come true for me....I'll be there!

Chr1s71

Oct 16, 2010
Greenock
I know this is an old thread but i stumbled on it by chance and it brings back a lot of memories and i probably met or know some of the posters.

It sure was having been about the years at the Metro 89-91 were something else. The best atmosphere of any club i had been to before or after.

Does anyone have any of the tapes from 91?

I have tapes from early 90.

There was a really large presence from Greenock/Inverclyde 89-91 there used to be 4 full buses and loads more in cars. Happy days when you took half an E incase the whole one ko'd you :D

Worst bit of the Metro was Joey Deacon (shit DJ) and Fox who owned it for not realising this. The alldayers were a different story with good live sets and better DJs. Post 91 the music sadly got too cheesey and the idiots appeared in number.

Shad

Jul 29, 2006
San Francisco
mid 91 to mid 92!

I was there almost every week for a year, really tall skinny guy with curly hair stood up the left balcony with the rest of the East Kilbride lot. I have a bunch of tapes from the period, going to start ripping them. Mixing is downright awful on some though. We left before the BS started getting really bad between the factions, stopped buying E inside as it was getting dodgy, too much special K started appearing etc. Went to the big raves after that, Hanger 13 I made a few appearances and amazingly Hardfloor played there! By 94 we were at the Arches, Sub Club etc. All seemed like such a long period while it happened, transforming from snooty clubber (Tunnel '90, TPA '91) to sweaty raver to trainspotting DJ wannabe spending all my drug money on vinyl instead. All within four years! Aye part a growing up...

Weetaz

Sep 23, 2023
Yes Carl cox did do a set in metro and Eddie fox was like a proclaimer with brown hair 🤣I used To go carlton studios sometimes and hanger 13 rez at ingilston back in early 90s too but metro was my main club ✌️💛