broadband...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

woody

my wonderful mother has decided to treat herself to a brand spanking PC and therefore donated her old one to lickle moi :cool:
i'm totally unsure what broadband to get??????
i've got to get a phone line put in yet anyway so it i'm not yet tied to either BT or NTL, but can get them both in our area.

what has everyone else got, how much do ya pay per month and is it any good??? some boffin dood at work thinks BT and the 512k pipex for 23.50 p/m is the best option....but i dunno :confused:

anyone help....

cheers :D

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
before you buy broad band you might wana check out scottish electircs new set up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 meg up stream and 1 meg down stream £29.99 comes down the power lines as well so no reduction in speads due to noise on the line.

Next one as stated is bulldog, however there 1 meg service for 24.99 is only enabled at 450 exchanges you need to browse the site and do a check to see if yours is enabled

after that id go cable if its in your area 7 - 1 conntention on a 512K connection you down load at aprox 70Kbs compared to standard 50 - 60 kbs for other service providers and also cable do a 1 meg line for £35.00 per month still its on 256K up though

But that scottish power is out this world for that !!!!!!

woody

just rang BT to find out about getting a line put in, basically its free coz theres already a line in the house, but the basic phone line rental is 10.50 p/m for min of 3 months and it has to be in for 10 days before they can test if i can get braodband or not :confused:
so methinks i'm gonna go with NTL, thinkin about gettin sum decent telly for crhrimbo too!

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
mad if your going for BT its a rip off. There cust service once they have you is shit any problems they dont want to know.

Also tied into a contract no free webspace, hell you dont even get an email address you have to buy it.

Really puzzles me people going on BT rather than shopping around there much better deals out there.

Also BT's home ADSL just bangs everyone on the same line they dont give a shit about there contention rate at all. Unless of cause you buy the office package then they do :S

Well if ya do go with them hope its does go ok for ya but I used to sell for an ISP and the amount of people that had BT contracts for a year but couldnt get the ADSL working and BT wouldnt do feck all about it but told them they cant cancel there contract was just unberlievable !

woody

cam said:
mad if your going for BT its a rip off. There cust service once they have you is shit any problems they dont want to know.

Also tied into a contract no free webspace, hell you dont even get an email address you have to buy it.

Really puzzles me people going on BT rather than shopping around there much better deals out there.

Also BT's home ADSL just bangs everyone on the same line they dont give a shit about there contention rate at all. Unless of cause you buy the office package then they do :S

Well if ya do go with them hope its does go ok for ya but I used to sell for an ISP and the amount of people that had BT contracts for a year but couldnt get the ADSL working and BT wouldnt do feck all about it but told them they cant cancel there contract was just unberlievable !

to be honest mate all this computer talk goes right over my head!
i just wnat something thats reasonably cheap, quick enough to surf freely and thats about it,

if its good enough for butty, then thats alright by me :)
plus i've just spoke to BT and its gettin re -hooked up tomorrow :cool:

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
ok mate hope it all goes well for you anyway it is shit hot like when its working :)

You should have had a look as www.adslguide.org

thats got all the suppliers and how good they are for reliability speed and customer service.

BT are sound to use until you get a problem hopefully it will just run like clockwork for you and you wont have a problem though :)

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
well
my NTL box goes down round about 1230 most nights, so my net goes off
atm i cant get on hardly any webpages, altho i can download and do some gaming
its not bad tho, 1Mb line n all my mates are on it too
was gonna get ADSL but were too far away from exchanges
just go for whatever u can get tbh
then start dling some pron :p

acestu

Sep 29, 2003
Outer Space Mon Capitan
BT

For BT Broadband mate your cable run has got to be 3 kilometers or less from the exchange, They told me on the website that i couldn't have it, i rang them up and said i can spit on the exchange if i open my window, they said "your right, our website Alogarytms don't work , you can have it" which i thought was rediculous, anyway had it for 56 months now and never 1 problem mate, although a lot of my friends who are on NTL round here are always having problems.......................

L8rM8
Acestu:crazy:

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
gonna sort out pipex when hes got his bt line installed - wont have n e probs bein in eccles like. i prefer pipex. ur not tied to a 1 year contract its monthly its been safe as hell for me for speeds, reliability etc and its cheap as chips :thumbsup:

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
woody mate, ignore the BT posts, they're on about BT as an ISP, you're on about line rental...different things, get your BT line and then choose your ISP, go pipex if they now do monthly.

gonna check out this bulldogadsl for my new pad..sounds a good deal.

p.s fully agree that BT as an ISP are crap.

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
grad said:
[B
gonna check out this bulldogadsl for my new pad..sounds a good deal.
[/B]

yikes, £50 connection and then another £50 for short term contract. :(

pipex are just as bad, they say it's a one month minimum but if you leave within 12 months they hit you for £60..so erm that's not one month minimum is it.

got stung by them when i moved last time. :(

i'm with virgin now, no monthly and no connection fee but some people have had crap service and poor support, mines been fine, never less then 60kbs and no outages but it might be different in manc..

any others worth a look?