the joy of decks ITV1 thur 12.30 pm

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Yeah, I missed it too (some of us DO have to get up early....lol) - I have a digi-box so I can catch it on ITV tonight if I stay in, just so I can depress myself at how dire the dance music scene has become and how it is in the eyes of joe public.

I can imagine it now, some poncy boyband-esque lad in a sort of silk dayglo blue shirt with HAIR thats spiked up like he's just got out of bed, wafting a 12" above his head like a right clown who can only string a few tunes together cos they all sound identical and is aided by beat counters and gadgetry......then onto to the overwieght barbie lookalikes who thought a platter was some sort of patte or side dish, giving it 'yeah we girls are giving it large! - much better than the boys" and all the usual stereotypical bullshit that makes me wanna weep.

Sometimes I wish that these muppets (to quote above "never liked music cause it was all take-that") and 'hangers on' would just fek off and buy into some other genre and leave us alone.

I've gotten all worked up now.........grrrrr. I must relax now, lol.

Sirius.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Yeah, but it got put away with some other stuff - to make room for MORE vinyl!!!!! lol.
I could have dug it out, but the time it would have taken to sort out, find a casstette, remember how to set it to record etc, I may aswell have stayed up to watch it! lol.

Besides I knew it was on itv2......along with everything else youve just watched on ITV1. they may aswell have called it the repeat chanel.

Sirius.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
What a joke. I switched the bastard off after about 5 mins and went upstairs to listen to Q-Bert instead.

The problem with this program is it will only confirm to people who hate dance music that dance music is a joke and the dj does fuck all but try to look good. The likes of Tom Middleton should be seriously ashamed! And what were all those whoppers doing in the audience.

I'm thinking of starting a extreme real dance music terrorist organisation and bomb events like this

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
lastnightadj said:
When did playing a record and waving your arms around like a baboon become good djing??

I always think this whenever I see Norman Cook.

Missed the program, sounds like I was lucky.

Good idea with the bombs Jonno. :)

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
now now

wildpitch said:
I always think this whenever I see Norman Cook.

Missed the program, sounds like I was lucky.

Good idea with the bombs Jonno. :)

lets not slag norman. The man is pure music through and through. He knows his shit. There's nothing wrong with a dj having a good time behind the decks after all all our mates are on the other side of them chatting and having a good time and we're all stuck by ourselves :(

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
"BOOOooooooohhh"
lol, bunch of arse

heres hoping we actually see them doin summat in the next few weeks
everyone i spoke to today said exactly the same thing...all lookin forward to seein summat decent on tv for once

suprised there wasnt a public vote with Simon Cowell
lame tbh

Danny said:
how funny was the very last bit thou, where middleton had that guy recording the sound of a moving plant........:D

Thought that was funny too. Did wonder what Tom Middleton is playing at. He must be taking the piss with this. Like when Madonna wanted Aphex twin to remix her and he said "only if you make chicken noises on the record". His songs are now on car adverts now though :confused:

About the program - very poo. :( knew it would be anyway ;) Didnt you just know that Roni Size would pick the black fella and Sister Bliss pick the bird :drevil: Mr C should have kicked the shit out of the fella from York for playing radio one trance though.

Didnt see any mixing :S

Last edited:

Devious

Mar 28, 2003
Bolton
www.devious.me.uk
I had to put matchsticks in my eyes to keep awake through this pile of cheesy pap . How does watching the 8 'dj's' mix there same 2 records over and over show the judges who is best ?
Also the crowd and judges seemed to buzz the most of that 1st guy who played drum and bass so why wasnt he picked in the top 4 ?
I'll put up with it next week if only to see what Tom Middleton gets up to with that plant ;)

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Forgive me for being a dumb ass, but who is this Tom geezer youre all on about? lol.

Tell you what would be good, if they secretly planted in somebody like John Digweed or dug out Dave Dorrell from his hidey hole (or somebody else whose face isnt hardly recognised on the circuit), and showed the show up for the pile of inane dross it appears to be.....like planting carl cox in there and waiting for a simon cowel-a-like to say 'nah, you wont get anywhere in this industry pal' lol.

It sounds so dire, Ill have to tune in for sheer 'dire amusement' qualities. lol.

Sirius.

Oh and yeah, theres nothing wrong with enjoying yourself behind the decks - within reason! lol. I didnt see it so cant comment, but I still remember the days when people faced all directions in clubs - and not all fixated on the Dj 'pulpit' style stage you sometimes get - infact, the DJ didnt even matter in some cases, it was the mixing and tunes poeple went for - not some muppet with one hand behind his head, the other in the air with a record and gyrating like his grundies are on fire. lol.

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
sirius said:
Forgive me for being a dumb ass, but who is this Tom geezer youre all on about? lol.

He is or is part of Jedi Knight / Global Communication / Cosmos and loads of others as well.

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
Re: now now

nathan said:
lets not slag norman. The man is pure music through and through. He knows his shit. There's nothing wrong with a dj having a good time behind the decks after all all our mates are on the other side of them chatting and having a good time and we're all stuck by ourselves :(

Lol, I'm not slagging him Nathan. To be honest I've never seen him DJ live, only on the box a few times, and it always looks like a bit of 'mare to me. He did himself no favours by wrecking some tunes on the last Blur album as well.:|

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
sirius said:
Oh and yeah, theres nothing wrong with enjoying yourself behind the decks - within reason! lol. I didnt see it so cant comment, but I still remember the days when people faced all directions in clubs - and not all fixated on the Dj 'pulpit' style stage you sometimes get - infact, the DJ didnt even matter in some cases, it was the mixing and tunes poeple went for - not some muppet with one hand behind his head, the other in the air with a record and gyrating like his grundies are on fire. lol.

Thats spot on m8 :thumbsup:

Without being friends of the stars - I knew Tom when he lived down in exeter - this was 93-95 - he was a good laugh and a top producer - I bet he is loving the limelight he gets now

koolherc

Aug 29, 2003
the joy of decks

You guys were right about this programme being gash, all we heard was these djs havin so much talent but none of this was on display. Just a bit of dancing behind the decks which is fuckin cheesy big time. The Irish girl at least did a spinback and cut into her next tune.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I bet the skills of some of the Dj's may be ok - and far better than I could ever do, but perhaps its another case of a producer 'knowing what we want' lol.

It was only a matter of time, a reality type tv show for Dj's or 'wanna be' Dj's cos its cheap and nasty and no doubt there will be a phone vote at the end........where the muppets of the population ring or text in........cant you see its a money making scam???lol.

"You can win a holiday and play in a club" or something.......say 750quid tops for that.......then 20,000 peeps vote at 40p a minute or more......kerchiiiiingg. lol.

If they focused more on the proper skils of turntablism, Id be an avid follower of this show, but the cut and change fast paced spectacle I witnessed earlier is just as exciting as "Are you be being serviced" about Blackburn and Darwens council workers. lol.

Id probably watch it if there was nowt much else on. Its a shame such a potentially good show is all 'tacky'.

Sirius.

DJFANTAZIA

Nov 21, 2001
Warrington
Was not impressed at this prog, .. as peeps have said it was too mainstream for that time of night,........ i was expecting scratchadelic skills goin off,....... didnt happen

:mad: