What was your first two tunes u mixed?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
i managed to do FPI project - Risky, into Love Decade - is this a dream, and it actually sounds good. put a big beamin smile on me face anyway

also, how do u no what tunes go with what?! ibe heard hundreds of mixes off here and i can pickup when stuff comes in and when stuff changes, but how the f**k is it done lol

first two

First two I did was GLAM "HELLS PARTY" into UNITY "UNITY"

Completely spawned it and it came out a treat...and I still do the same mix now....never forget it !!!

also, how do u no what tunes go with what?! ibe heard hundreds of mixes off here and i can pickup when stuff comes in and when stuff changes, but how the f**k is it done lol

A lot of people will just say DJ's instinct !!!!

But it depends how well you know your tunes....it's a case of pickin a genre of music, for example (this is what works best for me) old Italian stuff...you know discomagic, Italian style stuff....

I mean all music follows a pattern but this era is easier IMO all the intros, drops and breaks are all made for each other...

But basically it's a case of listenin to your tunes and just experimenting...trial and error matey !

That's how I did my first mix, just tried it and it came off a beaut !!!

Bob

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
My first mix was probably Yolk - Everybody wants to be a DJ and a tune by Release on Contagious records......thats going back a bit, lol.

As for knowing what to mix......I still struggle with that.

My best mixes were when I had only 200-300 records becuase I knew them all inside out and 'made do' picking the 'best ones' that would probably fit - I was a reet perfectionist, lol. Id try about 50 tunes per single mix untill a seamless masterpiece was born.....I dont recommend doing it at all, proper Dj's need to have a killer like instinct.
Now Ive got 4,000 or so tunes, you would have thought the sheer choice would make it easier - but Ive definately found it to make it harder because its always nagging me that I could get something better in there.

Sirius.

sirius...

I know what yer mean Sirius....when I started with my own decks, (only 2 an a half yrs ago)...I had about 100 tunes, and I still pulloff some of those mixes...

Now I've got shedloads more tunes, you are always trying to better it...I'm a perfectionist aswell...I won't let anyone have a CD off me b4 it's reet !!!!!

Bob

M

Mig

LOL, the first mix I ever did on a set of decks was Rhythm Section - Laser Nation into K-Klass (that wildlife song - can't mind the name of it)!!!!

Just kept dropping the L-A-S-E-R etc bit at the start into the tune
and thought it was amazing :$ :$ :$

Agree with what's been said already about trial and error, finding the right breakdowns etc to drop the next tune into is the key to getting it right as oppossed to just "beat mixing". Sometimes mixes just come into your head though when you could be listening to some track and think it's sounds like something else. Put the two together and bingo! Oh, and key changes are a pain in the arse too.

As my mates say - it's not as easy as it looks :D

koolherc

Aug 29, 2003
My first 2 tunes were Deep Heat '89 megamix and Guru Josh: Infinity( Speedball mix) on a set of Numark belt drive decks.First time I ever pulled the beat mixing concept off and was a little bit chuffed as is everyone.:p

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
well atm i only got 8....count em 8 tunes lol
i was sat in work goin thru em in me head tryna mix em, got home put em on and bang it worked first time, i was fuckin buzzin
been on em now for the last hour without realising it

i no certain tunes will never go together just cos they too different, and its all trial and error, just seems like when i hear someone elses its like omg how they manage to do that so well

Bobleeno

Jun 24, 2003
Chills.
:) LOLOLOLOLOL. Just dig out a tape from way back. Dj Bob n Dj Bowl (it was me mates hairdoo! his dad always did em 4 him)

Was "mixed" (lol) using a record deck and 2 tape decks i think, and not mixed very well :$ It was recorded as left track then right track, then copied into duel mono... lol 10 out 10 4 trying :)
And the first was Guru Josh - Infinity into 808 Pacific state - then lil louis - Blackout (choone)

Sound shit but im keepin it 4 as long as it lasts i reckon.

RipleyPillwall

Oct 16, 2002
South East London
my fisrst mixes where done on a double tape deck - although it was all done by "chop mixing" - and where long running megamixes of vaious types. The first real beat mix I perfomed on decks was Alicia Bridges "i love the nightlife" O Jays "i love music". - I was so impresed that 20 years later I still drop it (it is a crowd pleaser too so it must have been a case of "begginers luck")

Dj M Jaxx

Oct 12, 2001
YORK UK
www.myspace.com
Mine was

Raze - Break for love

into

Liaz - This time

Sounded like a cat crying at first, but after six months i finaly got it right

lol

Remeber back in the mid 80s..trying to mix

Duran Duran's - Wild Boys

Into

Yazoo - nobodys diary...on two mini plastic hi-fi record players...and trying to blend them in by alternating the volume controles on them both.....O happy days

Top Thread idea Ste30;) :D

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
man i want teknoage - movin on , just so i can try and mix it
such a tune, cant stop thinki how tunes start and end and thinkin what will go with em
best thing bout my one, i dint even need to try, it just went

lol i show it to everyone who asks now, its bout the only thing i can do atm

DJFANTAZIA

Nov 21, 2001
Warrington
ste30 said:
man i want teknoage - movin on , just so i can try and mix it
such a tune, cant stop thinki how tunes start and end and thinkin what will go with em
best thing bout my one, i dint even need to try, it just went

lol i show it to everyone who asks now, its bout the only thing i can do atm

As Bob says the original is expensive. Its been on about 4 bootlegs though, so its easy to get on vinyl.

;)

E

easty

The first two tunes i ever got right were Kid Unknown - Nightmare into Slammer - Do you wanna funk. The last mix i did before i left my decks last night was the accapella of mix factory - burning into the instrumental of 2 amigos - everybody get up. I might try and copyright that one