Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
right am after some cheapish decks for me startin up
i wanna get into it but dunno properly where to start

looked on Ebay but i dunno whats good and what aint, so anyone know best place to get summat for £100 - £150 ?
or am i pricing too low.....

or if anyones got any they dont use anymore....

cheers

Ste ;)

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
Think yer wishin on a prayer for that kind of coin m8.

I sold me 1210's 6 years ago for £600 but that was with me fair old collection of tunes n 'all an that was a feckin steal:mad: :mad:

Decks are like coffee mate, worth spendin decent coin on!!:D

ps. If yer find a decent set up for less than 3 ton, let me know where from!

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I remeber there being some new boxed ones in the Cash Generator chain of stores for about 160 quid for two decks and a mixer! Its insane isnt it?

Obviously I have no idea what they are or if theyd last, but i was gob smacked at the time.
They sell those 'home mix' ones in Argos of all places too..........I wonder if you could buy em and in 14 days if you think theyre toss, take em back?! lol.

I was telling somebody else, you tend to get what you pay for. Cheaper decks's speed controllers and mixer's cross faders tend to go a lot, and its about 20 quid to replace either one. However, you can get good cheap decks that last four or five years. Its just that if youre learning, the speeds on your decks tend to take a thrashing whilst your inevitably thrashing about trying to beat match the bpms.

Dont believe this 'gotta be technics' lark either, yes, they are excellent, but in the last few years theres been some good contenders.

Mines only a pair of relatively cheap direct drive ones, Ive had mine about 5 years or more and the speeds only just starting to go.

Im a sucker for looks, the stantons 'look' Ok,lol.

I bet theres loads of folk who can inform you better than I, I dont really DJ much these days unfortunately. Im out of touch with whats available recently.

Sirius.

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington
am not bothered if the parts go in 12 months coz if i pick it up, ill buy summat nice instead of blowing my wages

is there anything that i can get where i can pickup the basics which will last bout a year for around £150 ?

i cant afford £400 + now and i wanna go at it :cry:

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
i have to disagree there sirus matey .. ive played on a fair few diff decks up to pres and nothing beat technics .. full stop .. there the best on the market and always will be .. hence they dont feel the need to chnge the overall style of it to competet with others that bring a new one out every 6 months or so to comptete with the technics .. if you wanna take it serious and get into it .. get technics if you cant aford , dont buy any and save up and wait till ya can .. everything about em is soooo perfect .. there not a fault i can say about em at all ( cept the on of button which can be turned off by accident with the side of yr hand ) but the new mrk 5 has sorted that prob .. )

thats juts my thoughts tho , i had the chocie of some lesser decks for my first and tunred em down till i could get technics iand i rekon it paid of in the long run .. ;)

DJFANTAZIA

Nov 21, 2001
Warrington
Innit, your mixing and suddenly a tune starts to slow down and you think WTF? and then realise.

Cant afford mark 5's , im happy with my mark 2's, there still the inductry standard arent they?

:confused:

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
aye iaint got mrk 5 either but GT has .. and there no dif what so ever than any of the rest bar you dont have the green light ( were it slows slightly when it hits it ) and the cover on the on / of button ..

i got mrk 2 me sen and wouldnt chnage em for the world .. and there are still industry standerd and IMO ALWAYS will be .. no matter how many decks peeps bring out .. like i said look at vestax and numark .. in the last say 5 years i bet both of them have brought out at least 10 diff models minimum each supoposed to be better than the last they brought out .. were as the technics NEVER change and there only on the mrk 5 in how many years !!

NUFF SAID ....

nothing touches a technics deck .. there some that are pretty close but none to the same standered .. for looks ( half these new ones look like fekin plastic toy decks .lol ) and dj friendly ness ..

ste30

Aug 31, 2001
Warrington

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
All Im saying is that there ARE other manufacturers capable of precision engineering a turntable.......and no matter what you buy you tend to get what you pay for.

Im not saying that you should compair cheap decks to technics or whatever, just that another manufacturers deck that costs 400 quid each would probably last as well as another brand at 400 quid. lol

You know what I mean. :) Broaden the scope, you may aswell have a look about thats all and dont just buy technics like sheep or sommet.

Technics may be the best, but theres no harm investigating is there.

Sirius. :)

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
oh i have fella belive ...

but if youve got £400 say to spend on a deck each BUY TECHNICS .... ive played / tried and tested .. both top models from

numark and vestex .. and ill say they are pretty fancy with all there new gadgets and straight arms and pointless pitch control of 100 + !! lol etc ect .. but its all not needed .. there all too fancy and NONE of em play or as as smooth as a technics deck .. and its a fact .. and if yr gonna take it serious why buy summat diff from what is industry standerd .. as thats what youll be playin on were ever you may play ....

you can investigate all you want ..but yr just wastin yr time IMO cos the end result will always be the same .......

TECHNICS !!! TECHNICS !! TECHNICS !!!! LOLOLOL :p

look at the pics below like ... sorry but all these below are soppsedly the best decks on the market .. sorry but all the ones that aint technics look like there made from plastic and look more like toys than i high piece of equipment .. someone of em make me laugh they that bad .. lolol

sorry but i just love em death .......:love: :love: :love:

vestax-pdx2000.jpg

VESTAX
technics-1210m5g.jpg

TECHNICS 1210 MRK 5 (G) THE DEAD POSH ONES !!!
technics-1200mk5.jpg

TECHINCS 1200 MRK 5
numark-tt200.jpg

NUMARK
numark-tt1650.jpg

NUMARK
numark-ttx1.jpg

NUMARK
stanto-str8-30.jpg

STANTON

... say no more ;)

onthetic

Sep 9, 2003
Glasgow
Ste, I picked up a brand new set of Technics 1210's MK 2 for £600 last year.

I bought them online from www.prcdirect.co.uk. I had a look on their site there, they are now £630.

I would save up the money mate, well worth it. If not mate, I'll sell you a set of Soundlab DLP1R Decks (Belt Drive) for £100.
They are in top class condition, boxed up.

Tony.

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
There's several decks out now that are that bit better than the Technics Mk2. The major flaw with the Mk2 is the pitch around '0' drifting alot and the curved cue arm!! Now the Mk3 (Mk5 if American) has over come this flaw and now has the pitch gliding without no stop around the '0', and less drift, if no drift. Now if you where to put Vestax and Numark against the Mk3, i would say the Technics would come out top, maybe!! As they still havent straightened the arm, which is the downside, to DJ's who enjoy scratchin', if you dont believe me ask Q-bert. lol :D

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
"and less drift, if no drift"

They have NONE what so ever fella ... tis what we got at GT ... and i love em .. that was the one thing that used to piss me off bout em , when youd be in the mix and hit the green light !! and it would slow down .. arrrrggg !!

ya mention the straight arm being prefered by scratchin djs .. i can see this being true with some djs .. ( as ive tried it my self ) but hey they still use technics decks for the scratchin champinship thingy .. if there was a better deck overall , for scratchin etc etc .. surely they would use it ????? would they not ??

i personally dont think technics will ever be replaced ...

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
Dj Ben Fisher said:
"
but hey they still use technics decks for the scratchin champinship thingy .. if there was a better deck overall , for scratchin etc etc .. surely they would use it ????? would they not ??

Technics are the sponsors for the championship!! and Technics didnt realise the straight arm, it was another company. So I very much doubt they will use another manufacturers name at the Technics Championship. Also, I dont think Technics will change the arm just yet, as they are still convinced there arm is better, or so i read!!

nowthen said:
Smack Generators? Aye can't beat em!!!!:D

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!! :rofl:

I really like the look of them mark 5 g babies.... are they the ones with the +/- 16 pitch ?? Ideal....

Some tunes even @ +8 still need to be pushed round by hand to keep beat synch.... Olimpia (which is one of me most fave tunes eva) is a prime example of this....

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
aye they look the bizz dont they shooms with the fancy blue lights un all that BUT shooms fella ya dont need them to have a +16 pitch ..

just pitch yr own up .. as i done with mine .. THEY MUCH BETTER !!

plus when yr mixin with em being faster theres less room for error ( due to the beats being that bit closer togther ) .. so your mixin improves a lot faster .. (IMO)

only takes all of 3 mins to do as well , and can be changed back if you dont like it .. all ya need is a screw driver and a black marker pen ... ;)

p.s biskit .. doh how dumb is aye .. aye technics do sponser it dont they .. lol wouldnt mind but i have a video of it too .. god im being pretty slow today .. ;)

still cant see the straight arm bing better tho as i have tried it mesen and dont rek much too it but i aint on the level of Q bert .. lol .. but youd think if it was technics would do the same sorta thing wouldnt you ??