Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
SCR101.5 said:
Hahaha & the pints just wouldn't go down your neck in that pub, because you'd be too excited about the night's forthcoming activities.

yes yes.....the tingle belly syndrome :p got that a lot back then.......hoping to have a bit of an orbit runion at JOY in July when Dave Angel makes his return to leeds phones: phones: whooooooooooor jeeer :king:

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
Northern Star said:
yes yes.....the tingle belly syndrome :p got that a lot back then.......hoping to have a bit of an orbit runion at JOY in July when Dave Angel makes his return to leeds phones: phones: whooooooooooor jeeer :king:

Sounds wicked- never saw him at the Orbit, did get to see him in Notts though and he did a great essential mix in either '92 or '93. Must get that mp3d.
I'll have a look out for the deets.

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
SCR101.5 said:
Couldn't agree more- did anybody ever go there straight?
Also would like to give a mention to Atomic Jam when it was at the Que club & Whooosh that used to take place in Nottingham.

Dodgiest, although I have never been involved in any bother- Marcus Garvey centre (aka the Ballroom) Nottingham. It's been going for fucking years that place, first went in '91 for the Shamen- Synergy tour & went last year for Jeff Mills- nothing had changed, although the music was obviously much better.
MGMs Nottingham- RAVE NIGHT- was threatened a couple of times in there.

Orbit for me the most friendliest club ever - probably to do with the fact that everyone was loved up to f**k on £20 a pop 'E' like ;) I did go there straight mate - i didn't usually take anything so i can vouch for just how good that place was:cool: probably had something to do with the mahoosive doormen and there then state of the art scanner things they scanned you with as you walked in :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
SCR101.5 said:
Sounds wicked- never saw him at the Orbit, did get to see him in Notts though and he did a great essential mix in either '92 or '93. Must get that mp3d.
I'll have a look out for the deets.

Ah cool if you need any dets hun kells & tots are the right peeps to speak to ;)

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
Friendliest - was Bowlers when i first started going (loadsa hugs best mates and all that :D ) tho tbh it did get slightly dodgy towards the end lol :ghost:

Dodgiest - Defo Maximes 96 - 97 ooooh kin ell :| could never ever settle in there during this period put me off going in the end :naughty:

silocybe

Jun 17, 2003
france
Konspiracy said:
Dodgiest without a doubt Konspiracy towards the end before it was shut down. Safety in numbers there. A couple of my mates wouldnt go in there if we had tried (and failed) to get in the Hac after one of em had his coat slashed while he has wearing it.

Fook me that had to be the dodgiest club ,And silly me went back for more , what was i thinkin..many a dodgy encounter in there..so it gets my vote..

Best atmosphere has to go to Legends in Warrington circa 91 , knew quite alot of folk in there so always felt safe.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
CANO ... said:
Friendliest - was Bowlers when i first started going (loadsa hugs best mates and all that :D ) tho tbh it did get slightly dodgy towards the end lol :ghost:

Dodgiest - Defo Maximes 96 - 97 ooooh kin ell :| could never ever settle in there during this period put me off going in the end :naughty:

Some of my mates still cite Maximes as the reason they won't go to another old skool night:|

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
dods said:
Orbit for me the most friendliest club ever - probably to do with the fact that everyone was loved up to f**k on £20 a pop 'E' like ;) I did go there straight mate - i didn't usually take anything so i can vouch for just how good that place was:cool: probably had something to do with the mahoosive doormen and there then state of the art scanner things they scanned you with as you walked in :thumbsup:

Great big truncheon like torches those doormen had, I seem to recall.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
SCR101.5 said:
Great big truncheon like torches those doormen had, I seem to recall.

yep but they were well sound.....i was in and out of the club all taking the piss but they didnt bother cus they remembered me lol......they even did me a fave once when the cloak was full and i had a mahoosive coat with me.......so they offered to look after it for me :thumbsup:

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
ooo tricky 1

friendliest club would have to be Trance Buddah in Amsterdam....that place was amazing!

dodgiest i would say for me was Bagleys in Kings Cross London about 98 it was i was scared silly all nite as me and my mate were the only white peeps in there...not racist of course (after all Thierry Henry is my god :) )

but wen ur the only 1s it gets decidely like....erm what are we doing here mate i know its ur birthday but we aint like exactly having a great time...getting stared at all night lol

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Going to avoid the early years on this one, as there were incidents at quite a few of those nights, but, to be fair, they were often isolated.

For me,,,

Friendliest - Megadog @ The Academy 93/95 - like a festival indoors - wicked :D

Dodgiest - Wigan Pier 92/93 - really moody and on one night, mates car had windows smashed and stereo nicked and we saw someone get their throat slashed :( :ghost:

Dr Dek's Lad

Mar 16, 2006
In a House what jack built
Friendliest defo love shack blackpool everyone knew each other, well i think i knew everyone in there no one give anyone any shit saw one fight in there in 2 years and that was my dad and some guy from leeds, i just carried on dancing HAHA.

Dodgiest - I went to the banshee in manchester with a mate who used to own a rave clothing shop in aflecks palace as he was going seeing some DJ mate of his and i shit myself it was pitch dark and i was trippin my nuts off and everyone was giving me the evils it seemed as though they were all demonic or somthing ,i just wanted to go ...... I still cry out in the dark to this day.

Oh and yea all the little sh1t heads ruined Maximes for me seen some horrible things in there. really shitty club full of charlie big time wanna be's. Probably the reason i dont go out anymore.

DavyJam

Mar 16, 2006
Warrington
The 2 dodgiest clubs we went to where the Hippodrome in Middleton and the Doncaster Warehouse in 1992. We only ever went these places once and never went back. Both stories are quite confusing but basically some of the local headers wanted to give us a kicking towards the end of the night cos they thought we was from Liverpool.

As for friendliest club's I really couldn pick one they was all pretty sound - maybe Cream or Garlands just cos there was so many people in there from everywhere.

skin666

Sep 6, 2008
Harrogate
Leeds After Hours Clubs

Friendliest for me was The loveshack n madisons in Blackpool

Dodgiest .......erm 1 word.... "DUNGEONS" Leeds.....how i made out of there alive i just dont know

Neil

Haha just stumbled on this...I used to DJ here mostly for a year or so until the sonny's crack-heads turned up intimidating ppl and shit only other i i played was 62's -I still have tapes from Dungeons that sound pretty dire
I was DJ 8 BALL
There was DJ BOZ also was resident at Hi-Flyers
DJ Corbee Z
DJ AL
Cant remember the rest lolz
P.S. I loved Dream at Trades Hall Tony Walker Vertigo Rob Tissera

Loads of old-skool downloads on here inc Dream at Traded,Gallery,Orbit etc

FATBOY SKIN | listen to music and sounds on hearthis.at

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
hard one is this

friendliest hackketts blackpool that was a happy happy club

dodgiest quad park but also one of the best nights i ever went to as it was my first ever proper night out at 17

best music legends no one touched that club for music selection

Thruthevibe

Jul 17, 2017
Friendliest was definately Milwaukees all through Helter Skelter and Equinox. Only held about 500 and was a real sweat box but the smiliest ravers ever.
Dodgiest club was an after club from the astoria, Can't remember the name of the club but the event was called roast. Proper moody.