Manchester 1995, House/Techno scene

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

original.ital

Jun 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

Felt it was about time I wrote a post.

One of my faviourite club nights post rave-scene was Bugged Out @ Sankeys Soap, Manchester and Sleuth @ Paradise Factory, Manchester. These club nights were hard-house and techno with the resident at Sleuth being Justin Robertson. Guests included the likes Darren Emerson, Dave Clarke, Laurent Garnier to name a few.

These nights had quite an underground feel to them, where people only cared about dancing, and letting off some of that university stress

Did anyone else visit these clubs during 94-95? I had a friend who went to Final Frontier in London which apparently was quite a similar vibe. What other clubs were about that had the same type of music?

Ital

Attachments

• HiRes-1.jpg
    HiRes-1.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 119
  • sleuth_clarke.jpg
    sleuth_clarke.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Am into my 95 house but did not really go out in 95 as I was away at college training to be a painter and decorator and did not know anyone who was really into house I collected a ton of tapes that year.

But I moved backed to Norwich in 96 mainly went to waterfront or U.E.A have seen Danny Rampling, Tall Paul, Tony De Vit, Scott Bond, Tom wainwright or Allister Whithead not sure. Have seen Lisa loud and ton of other's but can't remember as it was so long ago. :thumbsup:

Miss money-pennies use to do tours and come to the U.E.A Norwich, same with a lot of other tops clubs like gatecrasher. Seen so many DJ's in Norwich.

My brother saw Judge Jules in a night club, but i was not with him it was upstairs the dance floor upstairs was very small it would of been very cool to see him. That was a fluke by my brother they did not know he was their.

Before 94 i was into hardcore & jungle but mainly went to night clubs my mates were not into that type of music or events.

My brother loved house music but did not collect tapes like me, the same with a few of his mates some did have turntables but did not collect tapes all were into CD mixers.

even to this day am not over keen on CD mixers. Not my cuppa tea.

Last edited:

original.ital

Jun 14, 2020
Before 94 i was into hardcore & jungle but mainly went to night clubs my mates were not into that type of music or events.

I've seen Lisa Loud play once at Back to Basics in Leeds. I quite liked her progressive house sounds.

I was similar in the sense I was into the rave scene circa 90-92. Went to quite a few raves and free-parties during that time but mainly in the East Anglia area including Milton Keynes. Raves such as Dreamscape, Amnesia House, Equinox etc. I loved the piano riffs but I was always striving for that techno kick-drum.. ie Carl Cox, Dave Angel, Joey Beltram.

After 92 the BPM of the music increased considerably and it wasn't too my liking. Don't get me wront, I don't mind jungle but wasn't my type of music to dance to even though I love old reggae/dancehall too.

original.ital

Jun 14, 2020
Was still at school don't really know that much about it:vandyk:

I use to hear about it from older siblings which got me fascinated. Plus as a kid we would see news reports on Acid house parties.

Hearing A Guy called Gerald for the first time on John Peel's radio show got me properly intrigued.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I use to hear about it from older siblings which got me fascinated. Plus as a kid we would see news reports on Acid house parties.

Hearing A Guy called Gerald for the first time on John Peel's radio show got me properly intrigued.

I was well into my rap then de la soul public enemy ice cube NWA :roll: and Rock as well Gun roses ACDC a friend of mine was mad on it and got me into it & Simon and Garfunkel another mate got me into them my dad really like Simon and Garfunkel as well. Stone roses as well love them play them to death.

Last edited:

original.ital

Jun 14, 2020
I was well into my rap then de la soul public enemy ice cube NWA :roll: and Rock as well Gun roses ACDC a friend of mine was mad on it and got me into it & Simon and Garfunkel another mate got me into them my dad really like Simon and Garfunkel as well. Stone roses as well love them play them to death.

Thats quite an eclectic array of genres. Which is always good in my books.

Looking back I noticed that folk who were raving didn't always come from a dance music background. Students liked the rave scene because it had kinda anti-establishment undertones with seeing it on the news etc etc.

Myself I was also into hip-hop, soul and reggae. The acid and rave scene lured me with the weird sounds and speeded up hip-hop beats.

Do you remember Silver Bullet, Ragga Twins or Rebel MC? UK's answer to hip-hop with a ragga/rave vibe.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Rebel mc was great it was on one of my now tapes the others i have never heard of i did not go to any events untill 96 when brother started going as he was at the UEA but i use to collect tapes and heard it all on them, my collection was massive.p
Actually i do kmow of the reggae twins

original.ital

Jun 14, 2020
Rebel mc was great it was on one of my now tapes the others i have never heard of i did not go to any events untill 96 when brother started going as he was at the UEA but i use to collect tapes and heard it all on them, my collection was massive.p
Actually i do kmow of the reggae twins

This was a popular track in the early 90s >

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
This is a wicked find. Never seen this live footage before.

Good job bro! :)

Scan0016.jpg

I have a helter-skelter double pack with her and groove rider on it and her mixing is amazing I think it's 93 so jungle but I love it.

Looking out for more of them to collect but they are very rare but do come up for sale once in a while,

I love early jungle it went on to be call drum & bass what I do not like.

I like them dance planet mixers single ones but they go for stupid money £60 and up. Early hardcore is great.

Last edited:

original.ital

Jun 14, 2020
Dont know if you have seen this one below , thought you may like it has you did say about old hip hop acts....

This does make me laugh has in the stupid mac ds manager :D:D:D:D

Public Enemy, Betty Boo & She Rockers

Whoa! Professor Griff beatboxing with Betty Boo rapping in McDonalds.. lol I would have never believed it, if i didn't see this footage. Its funny to for the McD manager looking rather disapproving lol

Thanks for sharing this footage bro! :)

notloboldschool

Dec 17, 2016
Manchester
re:madchester

Good nostalgia here, remember bugged out but never did go. Didn't really get into clubbing and going out until '97 so I missed the early 90s and mid 90s scene, so to speak, but did listen to tapes from a mate who recorded sunrise radio, so he got me into it all so to speak. Great thread!:thumbsup: