Mixcloud playback limitations

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Ive just been on mixcloud trying to ID a few tracks, so been playing them back and forth etc...

Anyway tried to skip back on a set and got a msg pop up saying
Want to listen without limits?
Upgrade to premium for £5.99/month to get unlimited plays, rewinds and more.

If you’re not a Premium subscriber, or you do not subscribe to a Mixcloud Select Creator, then you will experience the following limitations:

Tracklists aren’t shown in advance
Backwards seeking / rewinding is not available
A show can only be listened to a maximum of 3 times within a 2 week rolling period

You can skip right back to the start of the set and forward to where ya was before, but you cant go back even a few seconds :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I can see a lot of people leaving the platform now.....

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
I have got back into the habit of listening to the Stu Allan OSA radio show, which is neatly uploaded to mixcloud....

....but yeah, I came across this new limitation thing this week and it's a right pain in the arse. Sometimes I get called away and miss a name of a tune, but can't go back without doing the whole thing again. I'm not really wanting to go down the road of having to record/rip everything, as I have far too much junk stored already that I'm struggling to keep on top of.

I suppose they need to make some money somehow for all that data streaming, but I've already sacked it off because of the way they've done it.

I can find hundreds of mixes on Youtube and elsewhere. There's more than enough music in the world to listen to in my lifetime without needing mixcloud's platform to provide it.

billyrave

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 28, 2012
Inside the Box
Its the beginning of the end for mixcloud imo, just like all the others before it that charge. They need to make money etc but people just move on to the next new thing . . .

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
Its the beginning of the end for mixcloud imo, just like all the others before it that charge. They need to make money etc but people just move on to the next new thing . . .

hopefully https://hearthis.at/ will take off now

only thing I dont like about Hearthis is you cant find the sets via google, found loads of sets on mixcloud & soundcloud while searching google but hearthis sets dont come up

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
hopefully https://hearthis.at/ will take off now

only thing I dont like about Hearthis is you cant find the sets via google, found loads of sets on mixcloud & soundcloud while searching google but hearthis sets dont come up

I quite like Hearthis, tbh I thought more people would have jumped over there from SC when they brought all there crap regs in.

Mind you will they start to do the same :confused::confused::confused:

notloboldschool

Dec 17, 2016
Manchester
re: hearthis.at

I really hope hearthis.at don't follow what mixcloud have done, it has a brilliant choice of old school stuff, shame if it has those annoying features introduced, let's hope they don't change things ;)

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I really hope hearthis.at don't follow what mixcloud have done, it has a brilliant choice of old school stuff, shame if it has those annoying features introduced, let's hope they don't change things ;)

They all get greedy, mixcloud has its running cost of their servers unfortunately these cost money, it probably why mixcloud has implemented this. Them servers they run mix cloud on, cost money to keep their. Servers are expensive to run and they will have staff cost and the technicians to keep their server running smoothly.

Heathis charges users for up loading stuff to their servers if not your limited to 200MB a month what is nothing.

I don't use mix cloud or Herathis to listern to stuff. I upload stuff to mixcloud because as its free but if they started charging they can stick it up their bum. I don't care much for them steaming sites. Great for sharing my own mixes but I hardly upload them anymore.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
hand another issue I have with https://hearthis.at/ they want €4.99 a month to use it unlimited and once you stop paying do they remove all your content? When I can pay £3.00 and put all my tapes on my web site for that and get some enjoyment from it.

I don't want to pay that every time I want to add more than 500mb.

Full stop I don't use steaming sites unless am uploading.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Mixcloud playback limitations

I just went on mixcloud to see what you were going on about, like I said I never use it, But I have to say that is annoying but it did make me laugh because it don't affect me. :cry:

I only upload stuff.

I will say the sound quality is a lot better on their now,

I have not been on their for months

notloboldschool

Dec 17, 2016
Manchester
re: better to keep files locally

I don't really trust these online storage/streaming sites too much after megaupload went bust, and now mega.nz has chinese investors or so I read, and I don't fancy the communist party of china knowing what I am doing online so that service is a no-no as well. Seems better to keep your mixes local, gutted to hear that hearthis.at have started charging now. Thanks for that post.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I don't really trust these online storage/streaming sites too much after megaupload went bust, and now mega.nz has chinese investors or so I read, and I don't fancy the communist party of china knowing what I am doing online so that service is a no-no as well. Seems better to keep your mixes local, gutted to hear that hearthis.at have started charging now. Thanks for that post.

I totally Get what your saying and agree with what your saying but if like me and others, if you want to upload stuff your going to have to fork out for a vps and the cheapest way I know doing it is £25 a month and a lot of people can not afford that, unless you have a business running off that VPS to pay for it, or like me you can use places like mixcloud or mega.nz what are free. I know their are others!!!!

And I would think mixcloud have had a lot of stick for having all that copyright stuff on their, Do they have to pay a fee to have all that copyright stuff on their servers? Then if they do, maybe that's why they are charging a monthly fee...

They are not going to get away with having all that copyright stuff on their servers it would just make it a totally illegal site and would get shut down. Their are going to be fee's involved.

Their are ways around it, getting servers in other country's that have different laws, but I really don't want to get into all that.

But them being a legit company they are not going to want to do that.

Last edited: