Radio Lancashire - Blackburn Raves, 30 Years On.

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
BBC Radio Lancashire Special - The Summer That Changed Everything? (26/08/2019) - BBC Sounds

The Summer That Changed Everything?

Gina Millson looks back at the summer of 1989 to tell the story of the Blackburn raves.

Available for the next 20 days or so. Just listening now, not sure how good it will be.

Edit: quite a good documentary. I am from the area, so some of it I knew, but still, it is a nice trip down memor-E lane to hear first hand what it was like for some of those who put the raves together and what one of the coppers felt about it.

Last edited:

gruuvs

Oct 8, 2018
Lebanon
www.OddHole.XYZ
It's pretty nice to have an insight of how raves were back in the day, yet here in Lebanon there's no or a little clue about how things were here back then.. Maybe because of the war events, so i think it was completely limited to very few events and strictly underground.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
It's pretty nice to have an insight of how raves were back in the day, yet here in Lebanon there's no or a little clue about how things were here back then.. Maybe because of the war events, so i think it was completely limited to very few events and strictly underground.

I never did field raves kind of gutted or done raves that hosted over 50000 people, I done a few night club raves on Clacton Pier am talking hardcore not house raves done to many to remember.

Their is plenty of footage on YouTube you can watch or you can look on ebay you probably find plenty of footage on their to buy.

fantazia.com would of had a ton of stuff on their but they have closed now. :eek:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com

Here's a great video to watch the presenter totally loses it on his pill and has no clue what going on, love it 90's TV you so would not have a presenter high on pills now a days. It makes me laugh how high he is lol . sweating his nuts off.

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
30 Years ago I would of still been at school no raving here. :thumbsup: Was into my rap music then NWA de la soul stuff like that.

I was also too young for the rave scene itself. I was about three or four years too young. I was well into the music (and indeed, I was into rap like NWA, which makes me cringe now!) but there is no way I'd be able to venture out to raves in the middle of nowhere in convoys, or pass as an adult to get into the clubs of those times.

I was still at school in 1993/94. I did hear of some local raves going on as late as '94 in an abandoned quarry in Colne - but it was one of those 'in the know' things that older brothers of friends knew about, not we mere whipper-snappers!

It was still an exciting time, the atmosphere around this new music explosion was massive. Even now, people around in that era can either "get it" - or they are mainstream-pop-music dullards who have no clue at all what the magic was about it.

The music was and still is my passion, more than "clubs" and "clubbing". I wasn't a dancer. I was not confident. I am an introvert of the truest kind. I wasn't comfortable in the club scenes of the mid 90s. I wasn't into and never touched drugs, although I was offered them and was around people who did them, at Angels in Burnley and some random places at Blackburn we did go to and which I managed to get in at.

I can't even imagine there being house music and a rave scene in Lebanon at that time - if that's what was being said by 'gruuvs' - or, indeed, much of our music explosion and rave-scene being aired there.

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
The reason I cringe and cannot stand the NWA and Public Enemy stuff any more is because I came to realise what a complete and utter load of bullshit it all was and how the world was not remotely how it was (and still often is) made out to be. The actual 'sound' of it is okay, the messages behind it, well, I will just say it is not remotely something I'd be happy to identify with any more.

When it comes to house-music, I was mad into the late 80's stuff, the early hardcore, that particular Manchester bleep sound, etc, yet by the time it got to the late 1990's/1991, I had massive attachment to piano's, screaming women, PKA Temperature Rising, Unity-Unity, style stuff - and hip-house, Underground Posse "straight up house" style tracks had moved me away from the rap.

1993 was a bit odd for me, it started changing. 1994 was in my view a pretty wank year overall for my music collection. Crappy hard house/cheese, happy hardcore, 'hardbag' and 'handbag', the breakbeat stuff was too drum and bass heavy, then there was the utter commercial cheese Euro-pop stuff.... In hindsight, I was looking in the wrong places and missed out on a lot of good tunes....but whilst I was living through 94, it was a proper bobbins time for my musical tastes.

It picked up for me in 1995, with the whole Perfecto thing, Sasha, Digweed, Grace 'skin on skin', Man with no Name 'sugar rush', Sunday club's 'Paladian Dawn' - awesome pieces of music. That stuff was - and still is- the absolute dogs bollocks to me.

That's why about half of my collection is about 1988-1993....with a smattering of crappy 94/95 misfits....then the other half is progressive house/progressive trance from 95/96 onwards till about 2010 / 2012, when it all started getting far too boring, minimalistic, 'play by numbers', off a conveyor-belt, formulaic "EDM" trash.

Now, I'm digging back to find things I missed. I am enjoying progressive-breaks and a rejuvenation of 303 acid based house that's been appearing.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
The reason I cringe and cannot stand the NWA and Public Enemy stuff any more is because I came to realise what a complete and utter load of bullshit it all was and how the world was not remotely how it was (and still often is) made out to be. The actual 'sound' of it is okay, the messages behind it, well, I will just say it is not remotely something I'd be happy to identify with any more.

When it comes to house-music, I was mad into the late 80's stuff, the early hardcore, that particular Manchester bleep sound, etc, yet by the time it got to the late 1990's/1991, I had massive attachment to piano's, screaming women, PKA Temperature Rising, Unity-Unity, style stuff - and hip-house, Underground Posse "straight up house" style tracks had moved me away from the rap.

1993 was a bit odd for me, it started changing. 1994 was in my view a pretty wank year overall for my music collection. Crappy hard house/cheese, happy hardcore, 'hardbag' and 'handbag', the breakbeat stuff was too drum and bass heavy, then there was the utter commercial cheese Euro-pop stuff.... In hindsight, I was looking in the wrong places and missed out on a lot of good tunes....but whilst I was living through 94, it was a proper bobbins time for my musical tastes.

It picked up for me in 1995, with the whole Perfecto thing, Sasha, Digweed, Grace 'skin on skin', Man with no Name 'sugar rush', Sunday club's 'Paladian Dawn' - awesome pieces of music. That stuff was - and still is- the absolute dogs bollocks to me.

That's why about half of my collection is about 1988-1993....with a smattering of crappy 94/95 misfits....then the other half is progressive house/progressive trance from 95/96 onwards till about 2010 / 2012, when it all started getting far too boring, minimalistic, 'play by numbers', off a conveyor-belt, formulaic "EDM" trash.

Now, I'm digging back to find things I missed. I am enjoying progressive-breaks and a rejuvenation of 303 acid based house that's been appearing.

I totally love the Perfecto thing songs like virus moon or sun the pink record from 1996 I can't name it with out running upstairs and totally love that stuff today and still blows my mind to this day.

And it all very easy to mix together.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I liked early hardcore 91 92 93 and the early drum and bass but nothing later than early 94, I did not fine out about house until 1994 and new nothing about it. Hardhouse I love 94 95 96 97 then not much after that definitely a missive fan of tony de vit. Proggesive house is great but am getting a little bit bored of it now as I have collected to much of it over my life 95 garage is just great and never get bored of it.

94 95 96 97 98 house I think is great then after that is got to be proggesive house.

My house taste go up to about 2009.