Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Fight! Fight! Fight! :starwars::p;)

I have an old pioneer double-cassette deck and a single TEAC one, but sadly, neither of them work properly. Particularly miffed about the TEAC one, as it is part of a nice hi-fi set. I tried to take them to a repair shop about a decade ago, but they pretty much laughed and said it wasn't worth their time to even take the screws out of it, because they aren't worth fixing, parts are hard to find, the amount of time it would take to troubleshoot and dismantle the pretty chaotic mechanisms. I still have them though, as I couldn't bear to get shut.

I phone up about my tape player to see what is happening with my tape player the new belts have been fitted I think it will be ready for pick up in a few days time, yippee looking forward to getting my tape player back.:roll:

I don't buy anything on tape anymore as I got sick of collecting house tapes. Just mix my own stuff together and listen to that. Even when people were mixing their stuff onto mp3 I was still using my tape player lol and I do to this day.

You end up collecting yourself dry in the end. Done it with tapes and CDs.Lost interest about 4 months ago round about the time when I got my turntables lol

back in the 90s I used to do exactly the same, mix my stuff and then listen to it.

Last edited:

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
Back-in-the-day (TM) (C), the cassette was all that most normal folk had to record anything on. I certainly didn't have a computer of my own when I first got decks. My brother had one, but I wouldn't have known how to use it and I doubt it would have been up to recording a tapes worth of audio...and even if I did manage it, who would I have given it to (a massive wav file, no such thing as MP3!)?

Technology is great....but I do think the old ways had their special thing about them. The internet is great, but depending on the person, it can be a positive or a negative, even with music and mixes. For example, I can play oldskool mixes all day and night off Youtube until I can get sick and tired of it!

It may inspire some people to start mixing, but it de-motivates me to do so because I know there are just so many mixes and DJ's out there, mostly using the same tracks, what's the point of copying that or playing that, and why would anyone even care about yet another DJ and yet another oldskool mix?

Back in the days of the early 90s, you had to record things to tape, get it right too. You weren't swamped with other mixes at the finger tips. If you wanted a dance music mix tape you had to go to the right record shops or find people who also mixed records and swap tapes. You'd take them into school, college....on the walkman.

You'd get a tape pack, say, Piano Classics, Fantazia, and you'd rock that tape as the only way to really hear the tunes and get the vibe. The tape was special, a part of your life, something to keep and have a special place for. Now, everything just seems so disposable, distant, on-tap, to be expected to be there then discarded at the click of a new link.

But of course, without the net and all the tunes and mixes, most folk wouldn't know what 80% of the tunes are called lol. That's good......yet also frustrating as somebody who used to trek to record shops all over the northwest and Wales trying to find tunes, spending hours on my knees in floor-boxes and subsequently stacking a pile as high as my head on the counter, waiting for some decks to come free to check them all out on, because that "unity" titled track, or that "take my body" titled track may just be that holy grail you've been looking for!

There's not much of that any more. Discogs, HTFR etc killed it. Things are just a click away, or on a "recommended for you" banner. Record shops, what's left of them, tend to even use laptops and Discogs to price items up before they sell you anything, to make sure they haven't missed some sort of gem!

But, because things have changed, we have to use these things now to get hold of stuff. I have gained a fair few names over the last decade or so thanks to the net and such sites. It's a mixed bag.

I still have a few hundred TDK, BASF, tapes of radio shows, essential mixes, but I am doing another major purge. I do not want to take these forward in my life and into my new home. I plan to cut it down to 50 or 60 tops...which means recording into the computer! (Ironically). Will I ever play it all though? Probably not. I probably own more music (tapes, CDs, records, downloaded mixes) than I could ever listen to in what's left of an average human lifetime.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I did not have a computer like you when I was young all I had was my belt drives my Goodmans amp and my jamo speakers and my TV and Walkman, this is before I became materialistic and I was very happy. All them boxed tape you see chunky sharing I was already collecting them as they were been released. No discogs you could find all them nice tunes in a record store.

I must of got a tape player that year or maybe the following what would of been 96. I had a mega drive when I was 16 and a PlayStation when I was about 23 I did not own my first computer until I was about 25. I did own one of them yamaha cassette decks it would of been the one What Hi fi had reviewed I was into my HI FI by then.

I did get badly obsessed with computers and web sites were I can now build my own computer and the one am talking to you on is built by me.

My step dad was obsessed with computers he knew how to fix them do networking and had earned some money from it doing it in the evenings after work.

I think watching him as a child had probably rubbed off on me.

I did not find out about discogs until I joined this forum in 2015. Their are some nice tunes on discogs but even to this day I still prefer to go into a record shop and handpick me own records and getting hold of stuff I never had heard before.

Their is something about picking your own stuff from a record store and I think were all missing a trick using discogs.

Its all I did for years pick my own stuff out of a record stores

I could spend all day saturday going round record stores it was ace.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
s-l1600 (3).jpg

LG ADR-620 Double Deck CD Recorder I bought one of these today as my tape player started getting some recording issues last night with the left speaker recording. I can tamper with it so it records perfectly as it has some features on it were you can do that, but that still does not really fix the issue, fortunately its still playing perfectly. Its only just come back from repair luckily the repair has 3 months warranty with it.

It does not take away the belts are brand new. Their was a problem with the interconnects
on the back it keep cutting out once in a while, I think what has happen he has fixed that issue, but it has caused this issue.

Tape players are such heap of shit, my brother always been of the opinion that they are shit and should go in the bin. But most of the stuff I collect is on tape so unfortunately I have to have one. But I do agree with him.

That's to much money I have spent in the last week so am going to be scent for a while now.

I don't need to explain why I bought a double one and not single one its not rocket scientist. :ba:

No more messing about with cables to record my tapes to my PC isn't technology great :thumbsup:

These retailed at £350 brand new so should be good.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
20191009_192107.jpg#

Well finally my CD Recorder is here arrived today. So I can now record all my mixes to CD already recorded a mix and it sounds good.

I never know why boxed never recorded their stuff to CD it would of sounded so much better. :thumbsup:

I have tested it and all good no faults with it. WOOHOO;)

I can get better sounding recordings of my tape player than they did and they were using DAT. What is a tape.

of course the sound quality is better than tape

Benny-Digital

Apr 20, 2006
Pink makes the boys wink....
View attachment 34273#

Well finally my CD Recorder is here arrived today. So I can now record all my mixes to CD already recorded a mix and it sounds good.

I never know why boxed never recorded their stuff to CD it would of sounded so much better. :thumbsup:

I have tested it and all good no faults with it. WOOHOO;)

I can get better sounding recordings of my tape player than they did and they were using DAT. What is a tape.

of course the sound quality is better than tape

Any different quality than recording to a program then to cd from there?

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Any different quality than recording to a programme then to cd from there?

I always found audacity does not make a perfect recording of the tape. The CD Recorder seemed to do a near perfect recording, but brand new cd recorder is going to set you back at least over £250 it's obviously going to do a better job than a free program.

I did not have any audio CDR, I only had audio CDRW these will not work in a pc, so I could not listen to them via my pc so I could not test them against audacity recordings.

But I keep rewinding the tape and switching back and forth from CD and tape and the recording seemed pretty much perfect to me.

it going to have a bit of a different sound as it been recorded on to CD.

if you want it for recording your own mixes then its worth getting just for that the sound quality is good and you don't get that annoying hiss that you hear on tapes,

But recording stuff to CD is a old technology now so a lot of the stuff is very old now if you buy second hand.

I personally could not find any new way that would do it better, but like tape players cd recorders are dying out.

Last edited:

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
ive had a Philips CDR 760 for years, used it to convert all my old tapes

it was annoying cos the blank tapes I was using were 74min & the tapes were 90min so had to record each side of a tape to a different disc

I now just stick an audio lead into the soundcard & record direct to the PC

the old CDR is now collecting dust.

b956d96d-3fd6-4200-81e1-b93d38dbd480.jpg

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
ive had a Philips CDR 760 for years, used it to convert all my old tapes

it was annoying cos the blank tapes I was using were 74min & the tapes were 90min so had to record each side of a tape to a different disc

I now just stick an audio lead into the soundcard & record direct to the PC

the old CDR is now collecting dust.

View attachment 34292

I agree with you cds only being 90 mins is annoying and most of the cd recorders only allow audio cdr or cdrw but really only bought it to record my mixers, I know you can use the usb fuction via my mixer but the sound quality is shit. You can buy sound cards with line in and out for a rca, I might buy one of them. I noticed tech do a cd recorder for 157 what not a lot of money really. Or I could just buy a dat tape player I will see.
The only thing about tape it's a really buggy technology.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com

Here's a load of DJ's giving Stanton STR8.150 the thumbs up and I fucking love my Stantons :love::love::love: best thing I ever bought :thumbsup:

They are lovely turntables....

They do take a little bit to get use to if you had Technics but the trick with these is to use your finger on the platter.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I bought a pair brand new in December 2017.

Excellent deck, but I just could not get used to them - they were just “different” to use compared to 1210s.

One deck also kept dropping one channel (my mate has them at the minute, and its still doing it ....... it’s off for fault finding soon hopefully).

I bought a set of refurbished 1210s!

Nice deck, but I prefer the 1210s even though they aren’t new.

I got rid of my Stanton's as they were to hard to mix on, someone said it was probably all the torque on them , My new turntables have more toque than the Stanton's and they do not have as good wow and flutter as the Stanton's , but they still hold the beat better than the Stanton's and my new turntables are not a super OEM and do not have a copy of the Technic motor in them.

I did consider buying the Technics MK2 but went with another brand.

I had considered going back to Digital mixing, but pushing few buttons and letting something do it for me would bore me and all mixes being perfect would be great buts its not for me. , I like the challenge of mixing with turntables and i know I can't find the stuff I like digitally its just not their.:rolleyes:

Last edited: