The Reasons Why I Gave Up My DJ Show On OSA (Revealed)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jonathan1990

Mar 4, 2011
Scarborough
Most of you who have been here long enough will know who I am. I joined OSA in March 2011 and it was the 2nd DJ forum I discovered after not getting on with people whilst been on the 1st. I then got a DJ slot that November and was quite an active user on and off until 2016. Since my departure from the site I still lurk around occasionally to see how everyone is doing and it's great to see that after a slight downfall around 2015 it seems like OSA is growing back again. Top DJs like Superdan and Bod are just legends. Now i'll explain about the reasons why I did stop DJing on OSA.

1. For the past year I've been having problems with this upstairs neighbour and he's been stopping me from talking so I've not been able to have the pleasure of DJing due to him interfering. I've also been using online games to try and piss him off by shouting every time I loose. He's not been in a lot this week meaning this may be working.

2. My aim was to play sort of mid 1993 - 1997 Eurodance that a Manchester radio station Kiss 102 use to play on OSA bringing that vibe back and giving you a change from the early 90s Piano House that usually gets played. The OSA crew however didn't seem to find this very interesting and during my last days playing here the listeners would drop from around 11 all the way to 2 rapidly. That was when I began to think that it was a waste of time.

3. A certain man you all know Billy The Raver had suspicions that the way I was DJing on here was different to the other DJs and he was right but I've never really explained this. I did use CDJs when I started DJing here and tried vinyl before starting but kept getting stattic shocks off them. When I moved into the flat in July 2012 there was no room for proper decks so I got a DJ program that allows you to stream called Virtual DJ. I know many DJs on the RP site which is dead nowadays did use it but never have known of anyone on OSA using it. That was why the title kept changing to tell you what tunes I was playing. My current computer doesn't have it installed.

So that is all.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
J90 you are sadly missed and as for the virtual dj thing id say a few of the latest radio players use it. I for one miss the j90 and had a good laugh with you and hope you come back.
So stop being a gayer and get back on the radio you bummer :)

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
The more live DJs the better.

I loved your mic action and shit tunes :D

Get back on and stop worrying what people think or say, I’m always getting insulted (Deaksy :wave: ) but do t care!

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
1. For the past year I've been having problems with this upstairs neighbour and he's been stopping me from talking

:| I find that situation astonishing. Is it a separate building or the same house split into separate living rooms? In terms of being restricted on even talking....Are you secretly Brian Blessed? How can you possibly live with such restraints?

Okay, I wouldn't want to live in a flat above Brian Blessed hosting donk nights and MC'ing all the time - where the walls are vibrating and a thud, thud thud envelops the place with a "biddy biddy bad boy, go to the flow, flow you know, here we go" commentary from Brian after midnight... but was it this bad and enough for him to be able to bully you into such silence?

I can only assume the living quarters are wafer thin and that you can't even fart without him banging on the floor, in which case, I can only hope that you can find somewhere else to live someday, where you can be more true to yourself.

2. My aim was to play sort of mid 1993 - 1997 Eurodance giving you a change from the early 90s Piano House that usually gets played. The OSA crew however didn't seem to find this very interesting and during my last days playing here the listeners would drop from around 11 all the way to 2 rapidly. That was when I began to think that it was a waste of time.

That's a tough one. There's not much you can do to change other people's preferences for music. The piano and Italo scene between 1990 and 1993 has always been the most dominant one from the heydays in my opinion. It's like a comfort blanket, people tend to like the things they know and things that sound like the things they know.

I used to listen to a bit of Eurodance back in the day, even some of the more cheesy end of the Zone stuff, or sometimes even a bit of Moz Morris on his old radio show from the mid 90's, which was some peculiar area between Italo Zone stuff, hard house, Hi-Nrg.

However, a lot of it hasn't aged very well, compared to the major classics of the heyday and it could therefore be a bit of a niche following. If you're well into the stuff, you may need to spread the word a bit wider and find people to come and listen precisely because you're playing that kind of stuff, or figure out how to better slot some of these things in to a more generalised set.

But if you're not getting listeners even then, then I'm afraid you're a bit stuck and would perhaps be better finding another outlet to play your mixes and gather a following. This place is hardly packed. It's almost as dead as a doornail. If there were hundreds of users on regularly, I'm pretty sure you'd get better figures.

I've been back on now for just over a week and this place is in a coma. I thought I'd ask a question about bluetooth devices etc in the help section.....and it hasn't even appeared yet, its in moderation. However, it won't matter any more, cos I am going to be buying some stuff without advice. I can't wait forever and there'd only be about two people who'd even read it anyway! I didn't quite realise just how dead it is here these days. You're not going to draw many people in a graveyard, and if it is going to get you into serious bother with neighbours or authorities, it probably isn't going to be worth it.

3. A certain man you all know Billy The Raver had suspicions that the way I was DJing on here was different to the other DJs and he was right but I've never really explained this. I did use CDJs when I started DJing here and tried vinyl before starting but kept getting stattic shocks off them. When I moved into the flat in July 2012 there was no room for proper decks so I got a DJ program that allows you to stream called Virtual DJ. I know many DJs on the RP site which is dead nowadays did use it but never have known of anyone on OSA using it. That was why the title kept changing to tell you what tunes I was playing. My current computer doesn't have it installed.

So that is all.

I can't remember if I was a mixing snob back in the day. I probably was. The idea of mixing mp3s and using a laptop was just sacrilege. Even CDJs with help beat syncing, never mind the advent of DDJ consoles which weren't around when I left this site, all would have been deemed forbidden I suppose.

I am a vinyl man, I still admire turntable mixing - but - things move on. Decks, CD's, whatever.

I like my Pioneer DDJ console, I just didn't get into it. People can do amazing things with these tools and software programs. It can enhance a mix, enhance the music etc when done properly. What matters is what you play, how you mix, how you advance the skills, so that people can enjoy the experience - how it is done, to me, seems ever more irrelevant. Life's too short to feel somehow diminished for for not having decks and vinyl for every mix, if that was the problem you were getting from comments.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I know a ton of us on here use Turntable to mix with, I really don't see anyone having a issue with you mixing digitally, am pretty sure Brock Landers users Traktor to mix on the radio and Brian user cd mixers.

I personally prefer vinyl to mix with but that because am a old git.

The rules have been relaxed a bit since you last mixed on here. :thumbsup:

I can't mix past 7.00 maybe 8 at weekends because my neighbour has kids.

But it won't be long now as am about to move and I am moving into detached house and I will be able to blast my music late on into the night woohoo:p

I have used Traktor many a time to mix with and for a £100 its just amazing bit of software and some of the controllers that Traktor have just released are just amazing but they are not for me.

Am oldskool and like my vinyl...

Last edited:
Hiya Jonathon
Sorry you've had problems with your neighbours, I'm lucky in my last house my neighbour was quite deaf!, and my current house is a old mill conversion so the walls are like 3' thick, my advice just play, and screw him!!
This year is my 10 year anniversary of DJing on OSA, and as anyone who tunes in to my weekly Wednesday show, I very rarely play all this plinky- plinky Italian piano noncence, even tho I was a regular at The Zone when it was up the North Pier back in the day, yes I have quite a collection of it, but simply don't like it, so very rarely play it, I play anything from underground disco, early Chicago House, Acid, Ambient, Balearic, Hardcore Breakbeat, Techno, Trance, 80's to Funky House and everything inbetween!, variety is the spice of life my friend!!, and yes I admit to losing listeners rapidly, but hey ho!, if people would rather listen to the same 20/30 auto mixes all day every day, fair enough, and that's not knocking the auto dj rota, I feel it's s good mixture of various genes
I'm surprised you feel MrRave was against you using virtual DJ, I obviously in the early days used 100% vinyl, and still use vinyl a lot today, but I also use a controller and Serato, I reckon around 50-50 at the moment, I admit that I do prefer vinyl and feel that warmth of sound can never be replicated using cd/mp3
At the end of the day, we are 'hobby' Dj's on an internet radio station with an average listener of around 20!, yes some of us, me included, have in the past held residencies in clubs, but let's face it none of us are listed in the richest 100 DJ lists, even if some on the lists aint worth a carrot!,
So people, whatever genre, whatever equipment & format you like/use, get yourself a slot, and just enjoy playing, there will be someone out there that will be enjoying it to!, and unless your neighbour is a violent psychopath, f**k 'em!

billyrave

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 28, 2012
Inside the Box
:wave: J90 - where you been hiding?

as Reetlad said, most people enjoyed your sets and banter.
You cant please all of the people all of the time. Variety is what creates the choices.

I would tune in regular - in fact in some cases it was just me in the chat. Maybe you recall ?
musical tastes on site seem to be cyclic - Its true there was a period of relentless italo/piano etc, but this has dropped off more recently with the trials and tribulations of life with new people coming in, old members dipping in and out. It doesn't stay static for very long.

Like many others, weekday nights are precious, and not many people tune in, especially later than 9pm in my experience. Its possible that your set time was purely coincidental with the ten o clock news and a large ovaltine?

I do recall one time asking about the software, but this was not anything against your chosen media - it was purely to do with you needing to turn the damn titles off, so we weren't broadcasting song titles ! ;)
As others have eluded to, through the passage of time, digital formats have become a little more common place, and as long as you enjoy what you are playing, then its not a crime, nor ever has been (even Reetlad now has a cheeky mix with the DVS occasionally) ;)

anyway, nice to see you still around - Get yourself back in chat, and get those headfones on . . for now . . . . phones:
When you do get back online after either you or the neighbour move on, maybe aim for an earlier timeslot where there is more of an opportunity for people to listen :thumbsup:

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Your neighbor ain’t called Monty by any chance and has a parrot?

;)

:D

pete-nic

Mar 28, 2007
Burnley
Yeah I know what you mean j90 that Billy rave is a right bastid :rotate:lolol
Anyway bud if you want to try it again , here's how you turn the songs off from appearing in shout box, bit complicated but here's how to do it in vdj
Click on c drive
Click on programs
Click on virtual DJ
Find properties
Click on it should give you a long list of complicated programme type shit
On this list you will see
Broadcast show titles (1)
Change the 1 to a 0
Hey presto

For what it's worth pal I used vdj for years on here too as others have and yeah people prefer vinyl but they like music regardless of how it's being broadcast so try try try again and if it doesn't work just burn Billy's house down:crazy::thumbsup: