Are we at the repeat stage?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Is anyone else is finding themselves buying a lot more new vinyl these days? The old-skool influence in most genres is coming through a lot more now that it ever did before, to me at least. And that's not a bad thing. I'm finding a ton of stuff harking back to the sounds i used to love. Seems like a great time in music for me. Just a few examples:

The He-Men, Dawl, Corporeal Face, Robbenspierre, Tones Break 1 - Tone Dropout Vol 5 (Vinyl) at Discogs - old skool style EP
Derek Carr Discography at Discogs - Deep / Ambient Techno
Ex-Terrestrial Discography at Discogs - Deep / Ambient Techno
Cosmic Rhythm - CDs and Vinyl at Discogs - Deep Italo style

Personally i'm enjoying electronic music more now than i have in a long time. Just curious if anyone out there from this era feels the same?

Last edited:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I had a flick through some of them tunes the production sounds good nice balance of sounds engineering wise etc not my style tho very easy to make but I guess that's what it is not about, what I find that is really strong in modern music is eighties pop style that is very strong nowadays & I hope you are doing well spaceface :D good topic mate! ;)

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
I wish i knew that feeling where making a track was easy :) I've got Ableton, FL Studio and dabbled a bit in Cubase. It always got too overwhelming. But yeah, when you consider the limitations of technology back in the day it's not really about that in the end. Some classic tunes have been made on next to nothing from a tech point of view. In all honestly i think the internet has changed everything now. There'll always be throwback era's, but music is becoming a huge mixing pot, and i think that is generally a good thing. You just need to hunt for the stuff you like.

@gregsta i was never a huge fan of hard house other than the odd track. Maybe earlier hard house ('94ish), before it became really banging, but I seem to be slowing down as i get older. I prefer more chilled stuff these days!

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
It's probably not representative of the genre but the hard house that i liked was Tall Paul's Essential Mix from '95 and Danny Ramplings mixes from '94-'95. Tall Paul's EM was listened to a LOT back when it came out. Some great tunes on there - i really loved Invader through to Ace of Base. First time i heard Access. Its mix into Living in Danger was beautful :)

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
It's probably not representative of the genre but the hard house that i liked was Tall Paul's Essential Mix from '95 and Danny Ramplings mixes from '94-'95. Tall Paul's EM was listened to a LOT back when it came out. Some great tunes on there - i really loved Invader through to Ace of Base. First time i heard Access. Its mix into Living in Danger was beautful :)

I love all them tunes you are talking about:thumbsup:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Me & a buddy use to play Kula World on the PS1 listening to this mix "Blu Peter ‎– Hard House" & also listening to "Plump DJs ‎– Elastic Breaks" with a few beers the "Blu Peter ‎– Hard House" mix is not actually Hard House, this mix is just so good with really good produced tunes with intelligence & has cemented a great musical memory in me listening to this & playing a great game! :cool: Kula World has great tunes in the game also but I am talking about "Blu Peter ‎– Hard House" mix here

Blu Peter - Hard House (CD) at Discogs

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Nice mix. As soon as i clicked play and heard the BPM i knew this was going to be ok :). I personally wouldn't class this as hard house at all, and i mean this in the best possible way. Sounds like a very '99-2000 mix.

Have you got a name for that tune @ 22 mins? Sounds along the lines of early Bedrock or Weekend World. I have the tune after (starting around 26 mins), though the name is driving me nuts. I'm thinking something on additive?

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Nice mix. As soon as i clicked play and heard the BPM i knew this was going to be ok :). I personally wouldn't class this as hard house at all, and i mean this in the best possible way. Sounds like a very '99-2000 mix.

Have you got a name for that tune @ 22 mins? Sounds along the lines of early Bedrock or Weekend World. I have the tune after (starting around 26 mins), though the name is driving me nuts. I'm thinking something on additive?

I posted the full mix oggs link
Blu Peter - Hard House (CD) at Discogs

The tune (starting around 26 mins) is
Slide - Closure at Discogs <------------------------------------

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Heard this one a while back when Chunky shared those awesome Boxed mixes of his. Must admit that this one is a bit too banging for me these days, though your shares are well appreciated :thumbsup:

Getting well off topic, so i thought i'd stick another recent favourite of mine in here. EBTG vocals, so it should be familiar to you lot. ODE #A9E4FF side B. Can't get enough of this one.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Heard this one a while back when Chunky shared those awesome Boxed mixes of his. Must admit that this one is a bit too banging for me these days, though your shares are well appreciated :thumbsup:

Getting well off topic, so i thought i'd stick another recent favourite of mine in here. EBTG vocals, so it should be familiar to you lot. ODE #A9E4FF side B. Can't get enough of this one.

Sounds great definitely worth buying.

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com

The reason I liked this tune it has a sample from a well know house tune from the 90's if you take it to 2.38m you will hear it.

I totally love this track but I don't think you will like it.:crazy:

This was the kind of stuff i was mixing together before I found these forums in 2015 then about a year after being on this web site I started collected tapes again... and got back into collecting my old skool tunes.

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
The reason I liked this tune it has a sample from a well know house tune from the 90's if you take it to 2.38m you will hear it.

Sorry gregsta mate, not a hard house fan at all really. But whatever ticks people's boxes is alright by me. They do sound mid-90s i'll admit, but then i never really followed the genre. And yeah that sample @2:38 drove me nuts for a bit until i remembered the name. For any other trainspotters out there i want to explain the process my brain goes through:

- couldn't remember the track, but remembered it was remixed but some cheesy mainstream dj that i also couldn't remember the name of
- remembered that this cheesy dj also remixed reel 2 real
- checked reel 2 real and discovered i was thinking about judge jules (seems my brain rememered Jules & Skins)
- searched my judge jules remix and found Helicopter - On Ya Way

My mind is filled with far too much music junk

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Sorry gregsta mate, not a hard house fan at all really. But whatever ticks people's boxes is alright by me. They do sound mid-90s i'll admit, but then i never really followed the genre. And yeah that sample @2:38 drove me nuts for a bit until i remembered the name. For any other trainspotters out there i want to explain the process my brain goes through:

- couldn't remember the track, but remembered it was remixed but some cheesy mainstream dj that i also couldn't remember the name of
- remembered that this cheesy dj also remixed reel 2 real
- checked reel 2 real and discovered i was thinking about judge jules (seems my brain rememered Jules & Skins)
- searched my judge jules remix and found Helicopter - On Ya Way

My mind is filled with far too much music junk

I love Judge Jules cheese or no cheese he one of those dj's that have survived the test of time.:thumbsup:

I love the tune Helicopter.