Old Topic - Is good music the preserve of the working class?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/music-chat/96409-music-preserve-class.html

Man I don't think I could put myself through a topic like this again! Enjoy this old topic if you have not seen it before! :cool:

I do not have any hard feelings against anyone in this topic & hope everyone is happy these 7 years later hoping people are more open minded & listen to music they maybe missed out on back in days called HARDCORE!

You was so totally into your House/Piano I believe lots did not notice how good HARDCORE was at the time! ;) as the years have gone by :cool: I do believe people get more wiser as they get older but some have always been smart from day one <------- that's a joke don't be offended! :cool:

Here is a tune for you! :D

Last edited:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
This is all my own opinion, nothing else.

I started young with my first single being Kraftwerk 12 inch as my mum liked it. I was always into electronic music with bands like Depeche Mode etc but gave up around 88 ish after being shown the light age 15 with my first acid house party with some potions thrown in. I fell into the harder and faster crew chasing the developing sound of New Beat and then 90 hardcore and techno. I dropped into progressive house in 93 as I did not like jungle or the crowed it attracted.

Most hardcore tracks are designed for drug induced dancing and huge sound rigs however some do stand up to the listening test. House is more for listening, I loved going to house parties but they seemed to miss the bang of hardcore. In 91 I also fell in love with techno, some tracks are pure artwork and stand up to Kraftwerk etc.

Working class, I wasn't posh but did my A levels, degree etc during the peak of the party scene. I also worked part time. My friends most of which I have lost contact with were generally working class, unemployed, theives dealers etc but I also knew some very posh party people especially in the early 88 & 89 years. A lot quit the scene as they accused pikies taking over and turning a party scene into a money making excersise.

For the working class.....no for everybody. Looked down on by boring society.....yes and let's blame the working class for this drug problem. Music for contemporary exciting people not scare of a little experimenting.....yes absolutely.

S

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
You was so totally into your House/Piano I believe lots did not notice how good HARDCORE was at the time! ;) as the years have gone by :cool: I do believe people get more wiser as they get older but some have always been smart from day one.

i'm guilty of this. hardcore passed me by. i rarely heard it on the radio (pete tong) at the time and none of my friends were in to it either. none of the clubs i went to played it.

fast forward to just a few years ago and i start seeing it in 2nd hand shops (for a long time i didn't see any). i give it a whirl and WTF! how did i miss this at the time? i now have 2 shelves on the expedit which are crammed with it. okay, that's only about 200 odd but they're all belters. i had more but thinned it down.

i wouldn't put it down to me not being smart in the early 90's more like "what i didn't hear, i didn't miss". if you get my drift. i should add a little snobbery in the music mags at the time didn't help the cause. it was sneered at and likened to "kid's" music.

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
i'm guilty of this. hardcore passed me by. i rarely heard it on the radio (pete tong) at the time and none of my friends were in to it either. none of the clubs i went to played it.

fast forward to just a few years ago and i start seeing it in 2nd hand shops (for a long time i didn't see any). i give it a whirl and WTF! how did i miss this at the time? i now have 2 shelves on the expedit which are crammed with it. okay, that's only about 200 odd but they're all belters. i had more but thinned it down.

i wouldn't put it down to me not being smart in the early 90's more like "what i didn't hear, i didn't miss". if you get my drift. i should add a little snobbery in the music mags at the time didn't help the cause. it was sneered at and likened to "kid's" music.

Back in the day going to town with a few mates I would always say in an exciting manner "lets find somewhere playing Hardcore" & not once did I find anywhere the times I went out clubs playing Hardcore it was always Dance/House/Club what ever you want to call it (safe space music), I thought the reason was the clubs owners was to scared to have Hardcore played in there clubs which I can understand as it can sound ruff & scary to them which then can lead on to other fears & snowballs i always said to myself I am not a trouble causer I just love the music this is so unfair to myself so I just did my own Rave's at my parents house when they went away at the weekends with certain mates who I knew wanted to be there just to have a good time & boy did we! :D

O! I found once place a guy was in a small room back of a pub first floor up some stairs in Oldham could only fit maybe 20-25 people & I loved it I was talking to the dj as he was mixing showing me his tunes that I could only dream about owning at the time & that's all I wanted to go out find some Hardcore have a good time.

PS: EDIT: 200 is a lot if they are all blinding tunes!

I just sold this today "love both sides" my vinyl are getting less now! :eek:

Last edited:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
This is all my own opinion, nothing else.

I started young with my first single being Kraftwerk 12 inch as my mum liked it. I was always into electronic music with bands like Depeche Mode etc but gave up around 88 ish after being shown the light age 15 with my first acid house party with some potions thrown in. I fell into the harder and faster crew chasing the developing sound of New Beat and then 90 hardcore and techno. I dropped into progressive house in 93 as I did not like jungle or the crowed it attracted.

Most hardcore tracks are designed for drug induced dancing and huge sound rigs however some do stand up to the listening test. House is more for listening, I loved going to house parties but they seemed to miss the bang of hardcore. In 91 I also fell in love with techno, some tracks are pure artwork and stand up to Kraftwerk etc.

Working class, I wasn't posh but did my A levels, degree etc during the peak of the party scene. I also worked part time. My friends most of which I have lost contact with were generally working class, unemployed, theives dealers etc but I also knew some very posh party people especially in the early 88 & 89 years. A lot quit the scene as they accused pikies taking over and turning a party scene into a money making excersise.

For the working class.....no for everybody. Looked down on by boring society.....yes and let's blame the working class for this drug problem. Music for contemporary exciting people not scare of a little experimenting.....yes absolutely.

S

You said "House is more for listening" which I totally disagree it is dance music! people hear House they want to go out to clubs even to this day.

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
PS: EDIT: 200 is a lot if they are all blinding tunes!

i think so but whether i have 200 records you'd say were belters is subjective, Monty. you might say only a third are belters. ;)
they're ace to my ears anyway because they are the only ones i know.

i never went to hardcore clubs or followed the scene at the time so unfortunately i have no clue what the classics are. it's going to be difficult to get them now, anyway, off discogs because they're all so expensive. everything i have came from the pound bins at my local as older heads have sold their collections, and as such not everything is in pristine condition. i still love them all though, as it's all new "old" music to me, because i never experienced it at the time.

LawrenceHill

Jan 23, 2011
'Good' is entirely subjective. I was brought up in the most middle class area that exists in the city I'm from and I was one of the first people here to actually get into Dance Music in 87 because I was a regular singles buyer who was into bands like Pop Will Eat Itself, New Order and ACR, and would pick up other interesting electronic music vinyl I could get, often skipping school and traveling 75 miles to Belfast to get more obscure 12" singles, and was regularly persecuted for it by working class kids I went to school with. Most people then didn't understand it, but I had already been introduced to cannabis and psilocybin mushrooms by that stage and understood how potent a combination Electronic music and psychedelic drugs is.
They'd laugh at my taste in 'bleep bleep faggot music' labeling me a 'queer' for it while they wore pastel jumpers and listened to Erasure, ironically, ultra-camp songs about unrequited homosexual love set to Vince Clarke's jaunty Electro pop. As regards Hardcore, I loved that until it split in late 93. Before that you had Force Mass Motion, Stu Allan and Ramirez and so on, but in 93 it split into Happy Hardcore, Jungle and Gabba. Gabba was too fast, Happy Hardcore became horrible and formulaic and had those ridiculous pitched up samples from 70's Disco, ballads and soft rock and Jungle essentially became Ragga vocals over Amen breaks.
Don't really know where I'm going with this and I'm supposed to be working. Anyway... yeah, no.
I like all forms of Dance music, until it jumps the shark. It's a narrow enough genre as it is without limiting yourself to one tiny section of it like people often do because of their irrational nature and desire to be part of a particular tribe.
The rules are bullshit - "you can't like Sasha if you like Techno" and so on.

Last edited: