Farewell......

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
After a lot of thought that has been going on for months and discussions with close friends I have decided that 2017 will be the year that I leave the old school scene.

The day I left Zone back in the day I vowed I would never play an old tune again.

I kept that vow for some 20 years before I was persuaded to dig out my old tunes once again. Since that time I have been lucky enough to play at some very special events. I released 21 volumes of italo dance tunes on vinyl from Italy and 2 releases on my own label <<REPLAY<< >>REORDS>>. I subsequently released 8 volumes of italo house on my own label and two further releases that pay homage to italo house, one from my friend Tim Godfree (GT System) and a collaboration with Dave Clough under the name Baccacha.

Giving me most pleasure was resurrecting the Jenks name. Although designed as a one-off to celebrate 20 years since Zone first started we have to date held 16 events. We have never booked a `name` DJ and I am proud that we have given lesser known or unknown DJs a chance to play at Jenks based on their talent and not their ability to sell tickets.

2017 will see the last Jenks events as we know it. I am not saying never again and I am certainly not retiring – I may be persuaded to do a 30th anniversary reunion for example – but as matters stand it is time to say farewell. The page for the next Jenks event will be up within the next few days. I also have some old school bookings to honour and any promoters interested in booking me to play in 2017 please get in contact as this will likely be your last chance to do so.
For those that say it was never as good as back in the day I find that very sad. Many of the events I have done have been far more enjoyable than it was some 30 years ago. Life is what you make of it.
As a DJ finding and breaking new tunes is paramount to me enjoying what I do – the main reason I decided all those years ago to cease playing old tunes. Recently discovering lots of quality tunes that were never heard back in the day satisfied my craving. Such tunes are getting harder to find, or buy, and another reason for me to move on.

Huge thanks to all the promoters that have booked me. There are far far too many people to thank individually and I trust you know who you are but I would like to give just three a special mention.
Anthony Butler (Butty) for keeping the vibe alive through Old Skool Anthemz, Chris Baker (Chris Biskit) for his wealth of knowledge of italo house and to Dan Whiting for being an inspiration.
Genuine heartfelt thanks to you all.

Most of all I would like to thank all those that have supported me at Jenks and elsewhere over the years.
It is time for me to concentrate on the happenings at Studio 3 Collective and return to my soul roots through the Peachy name – new vocal house with lots of soul and flavours of jazz, funk and disco. I also have a couple of Peachy remixes on the horizon. I hope some of my old school followers will join me on this new journey.

Respect and love to you all.

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
Nice swan Barrie, i'm glad I got to experience one of your Jenks reunion nights... top laugh it was.
Thanks for all your efforts, vinyl releases and dj mixes that will stay with me forever.

Thought i'd died and gone to heaven when I found the Replay mixes :thumbsup:

Cheers, take it easy ;)

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
As a Top bloke and accomplished Dj you have my upmost respect, I'm sure many will be miss what your contribution to the scene.

Personally I get why you want a break but it don't have to be permanent from old skool (or what we call old skool anyhow)... music clearly in your DNA so understand why u wanna focus on Stuff which you find more rewarding..

I'm sure Billy will ask but how about a farewell OSA set???

At least pop round here n say hello once in a while - I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say you will always welcome on OSA :)

billyrave

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 28, 2012
Inside the Box
Barrie,
I could try and be clever and better what Jack, and everyone else says both on here and social media, but he sums up everything so eloquently.
All I can do is echo his sentiment, except state that a final set on OSA is more of a requirement than a request . . . :hubba:

At the same time I think a full all day event with some of the excellent past and present OSA DJ's would be a most fitting tribute to the contribution you have made to the scene - big respect sir - I feel an excellent 2017 brewing . . .phones:

lets get it on . . \o/ \0/ \o/

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Barrie,
I could try and be clever and better what Jack, and everyone else says both on here and social media, but he sums up everything so eloquently.
All I can do is echo his sentiment, except state that a final set on OSA is more of a requirement than a request . . . :hubba:

At the same time I think a full all day event with some of the excellent past and present OSA DJ's would be a most fitting tribute to the contribution you have made to the scene - big respect sir - I feel an excellent 2017 brewing . . .phones:

lets get it on . . \o/ \0/ \o/

Bring it on