Stylus Panning To One Side Fix

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Do you wonder why you sometimes have a stylus that pans to one side more than the other? well it is the actual stylus that is slanted & can come out of the factory like this, the stylus is not touching both sides of the groove equally it will probably eventually start to adjust & straighten into the groove but it takes sometime maybe 50 hours of play time or so, i am recording all my vinyl so i can't wait that long for a stylus to break in & if it ever will break in to the way i like it.

So i thought why not just tilt the head shell at the right angle but i can't with the Technics head shell & the Technics head shell are not perfect either i have some that are slanted, so i thought i wonder if they make head shells you can rotate they call it "azimuth headshell" looking around i found one i like the look of & will fit a Shure M44G i set it up today to see if it would actually solve my problem.

Wow! this is the best thing i have bought for my turntables if i tilt the headshell to the left then the audio balance goes to the right if i tilt the headshell to the right then the audio balance goes to the left & of course i can now get my stylus exactually where i need it & can record my vinyl with perfect balance, another great thing is you can get your perfect balance setting & tighten up the allen screw so the headshell will not move or just leave it a little lose so you can tilt the headshell anytime you want its so handy & a major problem solver for me! I now have control over the master pan! >>>FINALLY<<<!

Here is some pics! ;)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

I also bought a different Tonearm Finger Lift for the headshell & screwed it onto it i did not like the one that came on it!

s-l500.jpg

This is what it came like!

HS-25.jpg

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Monty, looks good but you are trying to do the same thing the anti skating should be doing. There is alway more pressure and wear to the outside which I recall is the left channel especially with 45rpm recs which also have more open grooves so should would better be wear quicker.

What weight are you runnng on the styli? I'm guessing you have had to increase the weight slightly to compensate for the styli running off centre.

Great post, interesting to see people's thoughts into new approaches to age old problems

S

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Monty, looks good but you are trying to do the same thing the anti skating should be doing. There is alway more pressure and wear to the outside which I recall is the left channel especially with 45rpm recs which also have more open grooves so should would better be wear quicker.

What weight are you runnng on the styli? I'm guessing you have had to increase the weight slightly to compensate for the styli running off centre.

Great post, interesting to see people's thoughts into new approaches to age old problems

S

you are trying

I'm guessing

But Monty! What you are >>>>!!!TRYING!!!!<<<< to do is! Good old oldskoolanthemz!!! ;)

It is not anti-skating if i could simply move the anti-skating dial & the problem was fixed why would i be doing this Go Figure! ;) what i am doing is straightening a stylus the way it should be when you buy a brand new stylus some factory's are not going to go through a process of making sure the stylus are perfectly straight but i would think the very expensive stylus £500-£1000 & more would do this process & relying on some wear in time but not as much as the cheaper stylus, i can imagine a machine that just spits out the cheaper stylus with no care!...

The Shure M44G is at a weight of 3g very light thats its needed weight & its maximum weight or you will kill the stylus & any lighter the mid's & hi's will suffer & distort the Shure Carts & Stylus need there perfect weight i don't recommend people buying them if they do not know what they are doing with them when it comes to weight etc you go over 3g they will break quickly, but i could be using a Stanton 500.V.3 with a weight of 5g the weight does not matter when it comes to having a perfect straight stylus & having a straight stylus is more healthy for vinyl sitting straight & relaxed with no anti-skating there is always some force anyways it is also straightening the force of the stylus, focus on the stylus not the cart.

Anti skating is to help keep the stylus in the groove to stop it skipping over to the next groove from heavy vibrations,narrow grooves & sometimes scratches etc because the stylus is in a force of moving to the left the natural way the anti-skating is just to pull some force back to stop it skipping over to the next groove i never use anti-skating i like my stylus to have its natural force i always have it at zero, this is not about anti-skating & weight it is to do with a slanted stylus that is not hitting both sides of the groove equally how can adjusting the anti-skating physically straighten a stylus that would be like magic!...also with having a straight stylus you would not need any anti-skating there is less chance of it skipping when its straight!...

I am not TRYING to do anything ;) what i have DONE ;) is i have the stylus perfectly straight in the groove! the way it should be from day one ;) this is not the past of me repeatedly trying to do something for years this is the presence of something i have done & works that i thought off resolving the problem in 2 mins in my head where the plans begin then put it to practicality, with respect you are sat at a thinking stage of something i have done & you are telling me that something that works is not working.

Zoom into a vinyl groove with a mental microfine glass look at the stylus tilted in that groove its look so unnatural & the audio balance is panned to one side more than the other then start to straighten the stylus in the groove! & also the audio is balanced now! what a nice feeling hey! :cool: now all you need is the tools to fix this problem which is a "azimuth headshell" so this is a product that is made to fix this problem anyways! ;)

PS: Its not to look good really but to fix a problem & hoping it looks good also, have a bit more time to have a think about what i have done here! ;) please don't take anything bad i have said its just better to get to the point being a bit gentle & polite takes longer to explain things i am not a dreamer! The ones that don't Dream! ....:p I just want you to understand what i have done here in the nicest possible way! :D

Vinyl01.jpg
H1000086-SEM_diamond_stylus_travelling_through_LP_grooves-SPL.jpg

Last edited:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I have uploaded some examples nothing more i can do really! :S Let me know if the zip file is working ok! ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1474260/Azimuth Headshell Test.rar

This guy is doing it the hard way by taking the tonearm off i would recommend just buying a azimuth headshell so you can adjust in seconds & on the fly even if he straightens up the tonearm part there is headshells that are not perfectly straight anyways

Last edited:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
boss thread. talking about stuff i'd never considered. :thumbsup:

Glad you like it Ivan! ;)

Here is a cool video I just found wish I had something like this so I did not have to left up the stylus then tilt/adjust this guy can tilt/adjust the stylus while its still on the vinyl AWESOME! :p

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
jeez, i remember posting that pic in the " show us yer decks" thread. still got it and it works. :cool:

Haha I just went through that thread just an hour ago reminiscing & spotted it :D awesome double decks mate can't mess with them! ;) I use to have a pair myself 1990 different ones tho could never afford the real mc'coys I was to young could only dream of Technics! :(