New Year's New DJ's Bash

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Right then...it's about time that we had some fresh, new Dj's on the rotor. To blatantly name a few Ivan, Siman and at least 1 bloke called Dave...we really, really, reaaaallllly need some fresh action guys and gals!!!!
If your worried that your mixing skills are not up to scratch then practice and don't try play beyond your limits or alternatively go and put on your favorite dresses and cheat with digital decks. Reet (5 kids, 2 wifes a dog and works 70 hours per...)did a blinding job of being the backbone of the airwaves (all year) whilst at the same time teaching himself to beat-match on analogue decks after hitting the airwaves on a digital setup so I don't see that there is any excuse for not hoofting in the same amount of effort, I have certainly put in the online hours over the last 2 years here and other stations and on my travels I actually found the less intensely mixed shows to be refreshing and a warm welcome to the monotony of "blend world" also they're perfect warm up/down for a mix-slot...if you can talk (and not sound like a mental Jasper Carrot like me) it adds a lot to the show and also opens up easier and varied mixing opportunities, MarkDJ (DJ on now defunct OSR) had a great style (u can check him out on soundcloud), varied genre's and his chat was always light hearted and humerous with any amount of requested info and track data being relayed upon request via the shouty. I would love to hear and appear in a "something I recorded earlier" show that may appeal and draw in the producers amongst us, all styles and shapes welcome as an avant gard type doof...an hour of alternative old school could be cool, Im sure that we would ALL tune in to a well thought out show of top music with little to no beat matching, I am envious of those dj's that can chat coherantly...most of us appreciate electronica in general and if you are as old as me the odd punk and N.Soul track is a welcome break, webcam action is pukka altho I just seem to freeze up with BT Infinitly limeted. ALL DJ's...record your shows regularly and upload to your own Soundcloud....it's by far the best way to spam your slots and sets without spamming, you will soon get a decent following in return bring new listeners to the site.

I propose you lot take the plunge and organize a New Years event to promote yourselves and OSA...and then start a thread.

I will deffo man the shouty as much as I can and give you all my support.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
...yes mate, same here...I'll still be about from time to time but am going to pour my musical efforts into a fresh project and it's going to be very time consuming. I can't wallow in staleness, cripples me brain man, much better to have a break or just split. I love to get involved, organizing and whoopin it up cos music is and has been my entire life since forever...in fact I'm a fkn frequency freak, the whole gig just keeps me buzzing with excitement and I have tried to inject that into OSA many times without much success so I'm investing it all into the ever evolving musical monster within.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
Right 2 days is enough of a break for me :p

I fully intend to continue with all things old skool not so sure about new years eve as wife and kids might not be keen on me playing but as for 2014 bring it on

More records to order more to play I will just keep plodding on as I LOVE OSA

The reason OSR site failed is obvious it may have had a healthy listener number's but it was a little forum with no history or enough members, see osa is a big deal its a big forum with lots of internet clout

If more play great but if not its no big problem as I think a full schedule all the time would soon drain everyone's enthusiasm

Look at rp it suffers from overkill and anything other than oldskool as the peeps in general are not what I would describe as the kids of the 80's 90's. So the passion isn't there for older things but they have passion for there more modern stuff but again if I liked that I would follow it but I don't so I wont.

We have the lot just infrequent that's all and I am fine with that

I would just like the odd blast from the past to spin and deffo more dan, vee and bod etc but there busy people so in the meantime lets just be glad we have a site with the history and members who appreciate
it

End of the day we are talking about a scene over 20 years old so for the die-hards I for one will continue to torture you with my music lol if you dont like kiss me left titty :thumbsup:

Rich-M

Mar 7, 2013
Camblesforth
Hi all

Im up for playing a few sets i think :$
Just need to know what software i need and how to go about it.
In easy understandable jargon please as im no computer buff.

I have my technics set up through a traktor z2 mixer using traktor programme on a mac book air.
So any help on setting me up for radiowould be great.

Im just in the middle of sorting all my tunes into order of year from 1985 to around 2000
Ive sorted around 2000 all ready so only 10000 ish to go :crazy:

I work shifts now so wil have plenty of time to play a few tracks over the radio on my days off.

Merry crimbo n Happynew year
Cheers
Rich

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
Hi Rich

Use simple cast software

Line out from mixer to your laptop mic input

In the dj section there is a "how too" thread with all the details for setting up and sure there is a simplecast download in there

If you dont have access to the thread or to play live contact Blackburn Bod for approval

jason67

Apr 12, 2010
Planina pod golico, Slovenia
I've got me internet sorted now so I'll play (if you are desperate!) but don't expect anything good....;)

Like Rich above I'm a bit thick when it comes to tech stuff so I'll have a look at the thread you suggested Reet.

Edit! See I'm that shite i can't find the link!! Can you direct me to it please Reet, cheers.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
"Look at rp it suffers from overkill and anything other than oldskool as the peeps in general are not what I would describe as the kids of the 80's 90's. So the passion isn't there for older things but they have passion for there more modern stuff but again if I liked that I would follow it but I don't so I wont. "

Wrong mon petiré mongé toút...I was tuned to Pilgrim the other eve..an actual real life dj from back in the day...which I have never seen on here , the management are present every evening, webcam function works, schedule works, never left hanging on for radio details or stuff, friendly comps and player oriented downloads are a brilliant idea, people are constantly friendly to newbies and outsiders even when they get dissed constantly on here...looks like it's a nearly full house for NYE as well. If you don't like the music...even tho U have played on there site and U do actually spin core and I have heard you spin some newer progish stuff as well...thats of course your taste and preference for old school house, but that doesn't make every one else a cúnt and all other music shit...one word....blinkers, and if you always got them on, your missing out on sooooo much more.

Elvis........Building.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
lol have a brew settled down you will put your hip out, just ask a mod to alter the set up then or become a moderator and make your suggestions to them.

I play all kinds, mostly badly but this is about new years eve and as Christmas eve was overall a great success then I don't see why we cant have a full night

Chrimbo eve we played from 11.00am till past midnight and looking at rp its struggling to play from before 7.00pm so think osa had the full day just a pity we haven't organised nye more but no doubt folk are out on the razz and peeps will be about

I don't wish to upset you Dave your ongoing contribution to osa and helpfulness to myself and others is legendary but to put my comments into the accusation of all else are c..ts is not very pleasant and unbecoming of your nature.

Your frustration with the osa structure is no doubt true however it is what is and unlikely to change but again I propose you nominate yourself as a moderator where you will be able to influence and suggest changes

no falling out pk your a good bloke

Last edited:

Entropy92

Aug 8, 2001
Stoke
Good bye people never thought id say that but when u log on and find the last post in music chat is from 3 days ago its time to go nevermind stick your name down to play on the radio.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
Bloody hell not you and all Mol, bloody hell Dave look what you done you sunk the ship goner have to listen to radio 4 now phones: