Unscientific hearing test

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
...and, it probably depends on you having decent headphones or speakers to do it properly too.

According to this my hearing ranges from 7Hz - 16KHz, but seeing as Sennheiser HD25's are rated at 16Hz- 22KHz, then something is amiss.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
As far as electronic music goes, for the layman reading this and not necessarrily Jigs...anything lower than 50hz is considered as "earthquake rumble" and although still audible is suited to cinema sound scapes...it can muddy the mix a bit too much and also confuse the speaker response at sub bass level reducing the accuraccy and effectivness of yer bassline...50hz absolute sub is where you wanna be.
I have been writing stuff and been in the studio again these last few months, I have had to re-aquaint meself with some basic knowledge...you hear stuff from eg: Noisia and it seems that their sounds are ultimately deep and huge, but mainly it's cos they're sitting in a really well and clearly defined space within the stereo field and at the correct level.
Fk me...imagine sitting in the bass bin at one of their gigs...surely would cause medical damage...heyyyy....Dj Medikal Da-Marjé could be my new handle...10 - 4 . I've gone mad.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
You lot are taking the piss out of me aren't you!! I got a hearing test a while ago and I've still got low range but high end is sufficiently bad that I could have a hearing aid on the NHS!

I had some monster bass cabs years ago, 2k of pure Tannoy bass strong enough to shake a building down. The crossover point was 60hz but could be adjusted up to 100hz

Bring on the bass

S

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Is there a way I can confirm the frequency of the missus voice and then damage my ears so I can no longer hear that frequency?