What ya watching on tv these days?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Finished Breaking Bad what seems like months back now and now i'm up to date with The Walking Dead, which turned out to be unmissable from the 3rd series onwards, but now I need a new challenge.

What have you all been watching then that you've found to be really worthwhile?

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
There is a distinct lack of quality programming on the box at the mo...Walking Deaf was the last GOOD thing I watched ../.back to the Top Gear and QI re-runs now...More Brian Cox would be a good move with the factual stuff

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
I am still addicted to only fools and horses!

I hardly watch tv and have stopped watching the news as it depresses me

Also big doctor who fan. As well

Only other thing I watch is motd

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Used to love Prisoner Cell Block H all those years ago, but I don't think i've the patience for a new series now, but you never know. You sound right up my street with the stuff i'm watching these days Dave:thumbsup:

After looking into Sherlock at 6th on the list, I gave a spin last night and it's quite intelligently written with ingenious breakdowns of character analysis by Sherlock and other thought processes he goes through to deduce clues from what i'm sure looks to most of us mere mortals as nothing much to go on. He and Dr Watson have been brought right up to date in modern day London too, using various everyday tech to help him along with his efforts and without looking in the slightest bit cheesy. I'll probably watch the rest of these, but the episodes are a feature length 1.5hrs each, so each one is the equivalent of 2 episodes of say Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead. Not the most convenient then.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Just tried to get into The Wire. It's gritty, but it's still the same tired old bullshit cop show with street dialogue from cops that are all ego and probably don't have the intelligence and linguistic skills to get them a police job in the UK. It's all made worse by being in the old style 4:3 tv format, before widescreen.

So American cop shows always make me wonder how the cops in them didn't end up sweeping streets, labouring on building sites and other jobs that would keep them from requiring the daily use of a firearm and thinking too hard (no disrespect intended to people in those jobs).

Gonna try Sons Of Anarchy next. It seems to tick the right boxes:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I started on Sons of Anarchy (TV Series 2008 last night and i'm sticking with it for now.

In a similar vein to a British actor out of Love Actually being the main star in The Walking Dead, we yet again have another British actor, Charlie Humman from Byker Grove, playing the lead here and it doesn't even seem weird seeing Peg Bundy from Married With Children as an hard assed bitch of a mother looking out for the interests of the gang in this too. It's quality entertainment with lots of crime, violence, revenge attacks, bad language and sex.

I just need something more wholesome to watch now, to balance all the nastiness in these gritty series'.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Just tried to get into The Wire. It's gritty, but it's still the same tired old bullshit cop show with street dialogue from cops that are all ego and probably don't have the intelligence and linguistic skills to get them a police job in the UK. It's all made worse by being in the old style 4:3 tv format, before widescreen.

So American cop shows always make me wonder how the cops in them didn't end up sweeping streets, labouring on building sites and other jobs that would keep them from requiring the daily use of a firearm and thinking too hard (no disrespect intended to people in those jobs).

Gonna try Sons Of Anarchy next. It seems to tick the right boxes:thumbsup:

Jiglo, STICK WITH IT!! The Wire does live up to its hype and I was addicted when it first came out. You end up bonding with the characters and feeling their pain. 2nd series is the weakest and 4th is the toughest. If the Wire is too long then look out The Corner which is a mini series by David Simon and is also great. I hate US TV but HBO are pretty much the best thing on TV at the moment.

Borgias is good, Boardwalk Empire is good, Elementary is poor now and missed the Breakin Bad thing but will buy the box set. Shit looks like I watch a lot of TV which I don't.......maybe need to get on here a bit more.

S

Last edited:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Last I heard, Benny's was road testing The Wire and I think he took to it. I gave Sons a try and i'm addicted to that now :cool:

Just finished series 2 :thumbsup:

Bonanza

Nov 2, 2011
Ellesmere Port
TV n that

Addicted to "Mountain Men" on History HD (I am a frustrated Grizzly Adams really!) and "Trollied" on Sky One (well funny!). I particularly like the phrases of surprise/exasperation that the manager Gavin uses : "Nights in white satin", "Robin of Sherwood", "FFFFFiddler on the roof!" etc (you prob have to watch it really!?). The characters are brilliant, subtle hilarity! :D:thumbsup:

Last edited: