The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

What to do with all this duff vinyl?

• Total voters

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
i've got a load of kakk records.

Not really rubbish, just ones I dont play and can't see me ever playing... stuff like Robin S, Rob and Raz, Nomad, Digital Orgasm, Black Box etc etc etc...

You all must have thinned your collections of shite over the years... what did you do?
Whats the best thing to do with em?

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
I took about 150 to my local record shop last year and he gave me £20 for them but he wont take anymore cause he hasn't sold one :D

Presuming Ed

For the kind of tunes you mentioned I'd say the only way to get anything for them would be as a job lot on Ebay and even then it wouldn't be much, although I reckon you could get the £20 net you managed before. That said you can get a few surprises in as much as what things sell for on Ebay in relation to Discogs, with the former often yielding better returns on what might be considered fairly average items. I think most people have a bundle of these type of items tucked away that they have been meaning to get rid of one way or another for a few years. I have managed a few bundles, but they are quite a bit of work for what you get back, but it does free up space which is theraputic. Ed

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Reckon you should take them to a charity shop. That way you are doing something good. Not worth the hassle of selling something you may only get £20 for. Plus you might be able to buy a couple of records while you are there . . . . If they have any?

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Car boot...ten bob per disc mate...plus u'll find a few gems whilst ur there,,, before u start to sell...or list em on scogs maybe half price...or buy one get one free...u can send up to 1kg now for £4 with royal mail...prob get 4 tunes in for that.
Ashtrays won't sell, now death stars...thats a diff matter...12" nappa mashers...with a picture of Oddbod from 007 on the label....I would deffo buy one.:thumbsup:

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
Must have shed 300+ now to family and friends but carboot has made me back around £100 with another 200 ready for the wife to take i have slimmed down loads as i only wont what i like no good having records you have no love for

Plus record shopping is so much fun lol

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
it does free up space which is theraputic

This is what it's all about Ed :thumbsup:

doing something good.

Like Utah Saints?! This may be the only way Howy!

Car boot...ten bob per disc mate...plus u'll find a few gems whilst ur there,,, before u start to sell...or list em on scogs maybe half price...or buy one get one free...u can send up to 1kg now for £4 with royal mail...prob get 4 tunes in for that.
Ashtrays won't sell, now death stars...thats a diff matter...12" nappa mashers...with a picture of Oddbod from 007 on the label....I would deffo buy one.:thumbsup:

Perkins, you're off your tree :thumbsup:

i have slimmed down loads

No, you are still fat.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've kept every tune i've ever bought, unless i've swapped it, or given it away to someone as a present.

I'm not really expecting another vinyl revival, but you never know what will happen in 20 years time. New good music is so hard to find these days, because the radio only plays chart garbage and kids are recycling the same shite from sample packs and whatnot, that maybe one day those old cheesy records will start to sound brilliant again to a new crowd, maybe even in an emerging new market like China - that wouldn't have heard it the first time around.

Few people would have expected the old school rave scene to rear it's head again around the start of the millenium and continue until now, but it happened.

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
it's a shame your poll has tip and ashtray cos you might as well take them too a chazzer which is closer than the tip. ebay would be a better poll choice. I have a box of this stuff too. so I have the same choice as you. ebay as job lot, chazza or list on cogs.

for what they're worth I can't be arsed listing on cogs for the miniscule return (that's if there is any return). ebay might be good for me as I've never sold on there before. chazza still seems easiest cos they are tunes that I'd never play again. done this thing before and once they're gone you don't miss them.

after the sort out I was left with another box which I will put on cogs cos the returns should make the effort worthwhile. these are still tunes I'd never play again. I was surprised at some of the prices that my chud was going for. tunes I thought no one wants going for £4. it's not much but a whole box of that stuff can pay dividends.

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
Vinyl-Cake-Stand.jpg

How about selling these as a side line to thin out the junk and get some funds in for new? :D

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
I have a box of this stuff too. so I have the same choice as you. ebay as job lot, chazza or list on cogs.

update - they were cluttering up the spare room, even though they were in a box. chucked them in the car and, meaning to take them to the chazzer, took a punt at the local 2nd hand record shop. was offered £3 cash or £5 trade in. i traded 80 records for five 2nd hand 12"s. :crazy:

never mind...they were bobbins anyway. i won't miss them. :moonie:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Currently in Singapore and I can confirm that Asia is very unlikely to want any of our old records as they are very forward looking however unfortunately much of the music is euro influenced!

What gets me is throwing away records which contain great music, surely they deserve better plus we need to teach the young of today what realy great music actually sounds like. I gave 300ish records away foc to a young lad wanting to learn to mix, now that's charity.

Now where's my pipe and slippers but too hot this evening for coco.....33deg, sunny and humid!

S

Last edited: