Does anyone still care about music?!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

adamz

Aug 28, 2012
W-wa
This thread will most probably hardly interest anyone on here but since OSA is like our second family, i feel like it's good place to share my sad thoughts lololol

It's about hardstyle music and my view on it. I been listening to the genre for more than 3 years now and all I can say is that I officially give up on modern hardstyle. I lost all my hopes, stop wasting time, this music became another product, another way for making money, artists don't give a danm, they just make soulless, boring tracks without imagination and originality, everything sounds the same, the weather is hot, my leg hurts aaaaaaand i stop right here :D
On a serious note though. Where is this world coming to? Another music genre on my list that i need to distinguish from new and old. Another time i need to be stuck in old-good past, listening to old tracks that i still find enjoyable (good lord i find them enjoyable!).
Oldskool not only piano house tracks like we can hear on our radio were, are and will always be timeless.. something i can't say about songs in this weeks top music charts..
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
Someone on here once mentioned about the R&B sound taking over the world and that as long as the big companies are coining it in this'll probably never change. Take heart though, not sure Kanye West or David Guetta will be rememberd fondly when in the future some one asks about the origins of electronic music.

I think as you get older some new music just becomes inaccessible. Don't forget, the music you refer to (hairstyle) haha, hard style... Will never be mainstream. You want it to remain underground anyway, I don't want to be listening to the same music as every other fucker anyway.

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
PS 'music' is so vast, I think the whole "does anyone really care" question is a non starter. Of course they care, even DJ Shit Mc Shite cares... There is loads of quality stuff out there.

You'll soon see as I release my first track, once I've worked reason out.

adamz

Aug 28, 2012
W-wa
PS 'music' is so vast, I think the whole "does anyone really care" question is a non starter. Of course they care, even DJ Shit Mc Shite cares... There is loads of quality stuff out there.

Are there really LOADS of quality stuff out there man? I say it's so few, you discover something you approve once for a few months even. Atleast for me it's that way and i mean stuff that was released MAX 2 year from now.
Topics like that doesnt solve anything i agree. It's beacause we're not in charge for what's happenin now. God knows who is. Hardstyle was big part of my music life and now it's considered as dead to me. It's like house. Modern house and old skool house. Same name, completely different worlds. Probably shouldnt share my thoughts in first place lol We're just pissed off listeners that try to seek something worth attention in this big ocean of SHIT haha

P.S. don't insult Dj Shit Mc Shite please. he's one of my biggest influences :)

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
there probably is loads of good stuff around, adz, it's just getting harder to find it. you'd think with the internet it'd be easier to find but the double edged sword of the web and easy access to cheaper music production suites means there's almost TOO much stuff getting released.

don't get me wrong, 20-25 odd years ago there was plenty of stuff too but because it had to be on vinyl less risks were taken by labels so stuff had to be great to get released. i'll admit that there was a lot of shite released as well because labels could shift almost anything through the distributors. any old shit could still shift 30,000 copies because there were loads of shops to sell them and the likes of hmv/virgin didn't have listening posts and those were the days when refunds didn't exist if you didn't like something.

there are also so many genres today that i get bored trying to find stuff at juno or phonica. i deliberately don't look at new releases on beatport because there's far too many. i still think great music gets released on vinyl because the label has to have real faith to take a punt on a physical product. digital labels can release any old shite because the overheads hardly exist.

the great thing about house when i first started going out was you'd hear great new records every week and buzz off thinking what you'd hear the next week and so on. that is probably why i don't buzz off new music as much now because i'm NOT going out and hearing all the new stuff. i'm happy to sit in front of a pc and either search myself or be guided by tips from websites. however, tip sheets/dj charts mean we get lazy and everyone plays the same stuff.

the beauty of clubbing was you'd hear summat that other jocks/radio stations had missed. the resident in your fave club was playing the best track ever and you had to know what it was. pen/paper in hand you'd get over to the booth and bug him 'til you found out. watching the record label spin around and trying to identify it before it stopped was a real skill.

in a nutshell, there's stuff out there but you gotta find it. happy hunting. :thumbsup:

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Slightly off-topic since i have no idea what modern hard-style is (or original hard-style for that matter, feel free to post some examples :) ). But i don't really think that it's old skool that is timeless. I am an old skool fanatic though, so let me explain. My dad still listens to Bob Dylan and Bruce springsteen religiously, and i actually heard my grandad refer to the beatles as "modern rubbish" a few years back (he is in his 90's now...). It really hit home to me that every generation is the same - we all love what we grew up with. So it makes sense that most folks on this site feel like this about old skool, hip-house, hardcore or whatever it was you were into when you were younger. So as far as i'm concerned, no one here is unique.

As regards recent music though, i think you're depriving yourself if you decide that there is nothing decent any more. The variation within music is infinite and there are always decent new tracks to be found. It can be a pain sitting on beatport, juno, or whatever and going through tons of crap, but i remember spending countless hours back in the day in record shops listening to piles of 12"s and only buying a few in the end. Nothing has changed really. There are still great tunes coming out. Just make the time to find them. How long did you used to spend at the local store listening desk back in the day?

And my own personal tip is Simoncino (yes he's been around for a few years, but if you don't follow modern tunes, he's an essential artist). He's tipped as a real back-to-roots chicago/detroit techno guru, but to me a lot of his tracks sound reminscent of early italo deep house, which is what i really love. Bottom line, you'll still find amazing new tracks if you make the time.

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
New music vs oldskool the difference is TIME:

Back in the 80ties 90ties you was lucky to even hear a tune again & the name of that tune which brought excitement so when hearing a tune again you not heard for months (even years) its a time rush & appreciation of hearing it again,the internet has killed TIME/PAIN of music you can just click on the net & get access to music in minutes the patience & that wanting feel is not there like in the old days.

The new generation will not feel this in music & probably don't even think that this use to happen with music not hearing a certain tune again in a long time because they are so use to the speed of the internet,but you can tell them about it to see if they understand which some will,this for me is what i miss in music i can not see how any new uprisings off music can happen on the net good music comes from the streets (rebellious).

Music software Mac/PC being cheaper with new music i have to listen to the engineering side first it tells me a lot about that producer if i should take them serious & if i should look out for there music,even if i don't like the sound of there kick drum & the relationship of the kick drum with the bassline i turn it off in seconds there is a lot of bad producers that should never get there tunes being sold on the net being over squashed (limited) bad eqing of sounds very aggressive eqing on the ears & this is something i find on a very high rate with new music,anyone can go buy a Mac/PC now & produce tunes & engineer them & get them on digital online stores.

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
New music vs oldskool the difference is TIME:

Back in the 80ties 90ties you was lucky to even hear a tune again & the name of that tune which brought excitement so when hearing a tune again you not heard for months (even years) its a time rush & appreciation of hearing it again,the internet has killed TIME/PAIN of music you can just click on the net & get access to music in minutes the patience & that wanting feel is not there like in the old days.

So true. Waiting weeks or months to finally own that vinyl. Although i spend half my time IDing tracks, i really miss the days of listening to DJ mixes with that complete sense of the unknown, like you will never know the tunes you're listening to. It gave dance music a whole different level of mystery. Those days are long gone.