osa - north/south/east/west?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
i was a long time lurker on osa before i got more involved with the shout box and monday club etc.

one thing i've always noticed, though, is that most of the punters (apart from adz lol) are from the northern parts of england. i know perks is in essex but he's from the midlands originally and i'm from the wirral but now reside in hampshire.

so...has it always been like this or were/are there regular punters from wales, scotland, ireland, london, the south west of england and the north east of england (isn't Ed from up there somewhere) ? :S

just curious to know if the music that gets played on osa radio is more popular with people from certain areas of england. in the same way, is it the sense of humour on the shouty that attracts the same people.

only asking because surely this music is still popular up and down the country with people of a certain age but osa (to me) only seems to attract the northern demographic (and a pole) with a filthy sense of humour! :jumpin:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Just think......Watford Gap!

Im biased towards London cos that's where it all happens, 1st at everything, centre of the world and the rest of the country simply hangs on!;)

Seriously, there was and I guess remains a big difference between London/SE and the rest of the UK. Piano house and even piano hardcore was much less popular with London wanting harder, faster and more attitude than the rest of the UK. In end 92 I walked away from the hardcore scene as it became too moody for me however it continued for another year in the rest of the UK without any issues.

I have 1000's of mixes and even today I cant get on with the Northern or especially Scottish recordings which are more bouncy, piano'y and I would classify as techno or even hard house.

S

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
Osa has been predominantly a Manchester piano or hillbilly synth site. It used to be really thriving with loads of nights and loads of posts. It is a shame at how far it seems to have dwindled. It is really surprising considering the strength of old skool in Manchester to this day.
Fair to say I have met some top people on this site, I met a couple of the best friends I have on here. In regards to dj'ing, I owe this site an awful. There has been some top nights out, just a shame I can not remember most of them.
Lets just say it has been fairly eventful on here over the last 12 or so years and I hope it does pick up on here again.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
:thumbsup:

I've seen people posting on the site from all over the world over the years, not just from around these shores, but there have been lots of people posting from all over these shores too.

London and Birmingham way always seemed to be that bit harder and more breakbeat oriented, which has always suited my ears. Up here where the vast majority of users are based though then I would say the majority seemed to be mostly into piano, then probably techno, then filtered down to pretty much most other sub genres of house you could think of.

Candyman, Cutter, BennyD, Alex Bennett (before moving up north), Trucker and probably EZEE (amongst others) representing the South East to the Midlands played the harder faster breaks, and most of the rest of the people here north of that played mostly piano, then perhaps techno, then prog, balearic and so on. There were always exceptions to the perceived stereotype though and some people crossed over into other boundaries, but the clubs gave us the soundtrack to our lives and I guess that's what was played to the biggest crowds in those areas.

jason67

Apr 12, 2010
Planina pod golico, Slovenia
Osa has been predominantly a Manchester piano or hillbilly synth site. It used to be really thriving with loads of nights and loads of posts. It is a shame at how far it seems to have dwindled. It is really surprising considering the strength of old skool in Manchester to this day.
Fair to say I have met some top people on this site, I met a couple of the best friends I have on here. In regards to dj'ing, I owe this site an awful. There has been some top nights out, just a shame I can not remember most of them.
Lets just say it has been fairly eventful on here over the last 12 or so years and I hope it does pick up on here again.

When I first joined the site it was really busy, why has it fallen off some much in the last few years or so?

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Might be that the music got played out!

I mean it was fresh the first time we all heard it in the clubs back then and tunes were freshened up with lots of new stuff coming into the record shops every week.

If you hear the same tunes over and over, then it starts to stagnate and you're ears look for fresher stuff.

That's one theory anyway. Other theories are people grew up, got a life, started families, found fb, realised they could chat to more of the people that were important to them all in one place and as more people dropped away from OSA, then there was less reason to return here. Or, the radio shoutbox took over and people posted all there info, ideas, funny stories in there in real time, so when the regulars came along to catch up with what's been happening then it had all vanished and they missed it all.

Some of the funniest and most interesting people were banned too, as they went against the grain of what butty wanted here. It all added to a less interesting experience on the whole. You could easily spend half a hour just catching up on what Sirius had written and all the responses, even if you didn't agree with everything he wrote, he certainly filled the pages here :D

jason67

Apr 12, 2010
Planina pod golico, Slovenia
Might be that the music got played out!

I mean it was fresh the first time we all heard it in the clubs back then and tunes were freshened up with lots of new stuff coming into the record shops every week.

If you hear the same tunes over and over, then it starts to stagnate and you're ears look for fresher stuff.

That's one theory anyway. Other theories are people grew up, got a life, started families, found fb, realised they could chat to more of the people that were important to them all in one place and as more people dropped away from OSA, then there was less reason to return here. Or, the radio shoutbox took over and people posted all there info, ideas, funny stories in there in real time, so when the regulars came along to catch up with what's been happening then it had all vanished and they missed it all.

Some of the funniest and most interesting people were banned too, as they went against the grain of what butty wanted here. It all added to a less interesting experience on the whole. You could easily spend half a hour just catching up on what Sirius had written and all the responses, even if you didn't agree with everything he wrote, he certainly filled the pages here :D
Good response, thanks for that.