Do you think Thatcher's Britain is responsible for the Acid House warehouse parties?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Thoughts?

I can't see it myself, but then I wasn't there at the very beginning. Her policies didn't make a jot of difference to me getting into it later on, it was just hearing the music then friends telling me how great the scene was and once i'd sampled it I was addicted.

I can see her policies fucking up the scene with laws passed later on and shit, but I don't know how she might have influenced the scene starting.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
All I know is when I left school in 1988 the job market for apprentices had disappeared so it was yts time.

Loads of my mates had no jobs etc rave scene kicked off because of such hard times then she passed the bill for raves etc to be illegal

Rave scene was fueled by unemployment and people had time on there hands plus it was a baby boom that all came of age

All the big manufacturing went out the window etc

That's as political as i get but yes she fooked my generation up but labour are bunch of dick heads as well

Still have shagged her like, and think Dave Perkins fingered her

I recall 100 lads applied for the job i got, now your lucky if you get 10 apprentices applying

I got it because my mates dad was the forman

Last edited:

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Dead \0/ recycled back into stardust \0/ The country was a violent place at the end of the 70's and peoples attitudes were very different to today, the druggy generation has been around for so long you may not remember what pre E England was like...it was England, not Britain...right/left wing was a lot more prevelant in everyone and everything homebred...pre net and mobile phones...watch a few episodes of The Sweeney, you get the idea, there were still gangs of fkn Mods, Rockers, Teds, Rude Boys all fighting eachother over music and shallow politcal bullshit...acid music used its power to unite the bloke on the street in a common cause, a realization that a new way of life is on the horizon and that youth culture is gonna be more than just a musical bolt on... we know something that youz lot don't...lol.
I grew up in The Midlands, have been on the picket lines with my old fella and his brothers.."Maggie, Maggie, Maggie...OUT! OUT! OUT!" have seen some awfull violence and a lot of it born out of blind racial hatred...Acid House bought enough of us all together to make a difference, changed peoples outlook on life and paved the way for a new and better way of living together on this planet...if I had known she was knocking the door I would've run a book on the exact time, damm...sorry lads.

Personally...I don't and didn't need any political guidance to tell me that peace, respect. knowledge and understanding was always the way forward.

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
In a word Jim.
No

It woulda happened regardless.
No jobs, big empty factories, and i remember HATING with a passion having to wear shoes trousers and shirts just to get in a nightclub- i think that was the biggie, the freedom from the mainstream- T shirt, jeans, cargos or chinos with boots or trainers, no one saying "you can't..."

And then later as the filth got on to things, a sense of togethernes, us against the state

It woulda happened regardless of who was in charge

Oh. and it was John Major's cabinet who tried to nail us down with the 1994 criminal justice act, not Thatch ;)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Do you think she helped cause a lot of the problems once it had started then by having created a heavy handed police state that went to battle with ravers who were wanting to have a good time in the warehouses and other events, or was the heavy handed police state a product from before her reign?.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Do you not remember the riots in the streets when Labour were in before the tories? the country was a fkn battlezone...IRA blowing shit up...I have been slapped many times by the old bill when i was a kid and teen, attitudes were very different, capital punishment was common belief. The last executions were in the mid 60's!!
When acid house came along, everything chilled out..lol..all the fighting was in the 80's, running battles with the filth , pre helicopter and crowd control days..us and them, I remember it very well, being charged down by horses..lol..it was a riot. There was always friction after punk music events ...anything anti establishment..ska, mod all of that. Maggies lot just got very good, very quickly at getting stuck in with the boot...was her tactical response to most things as I recall...I don't and have never followed any political views that are on offer with the choice we have..they can all fk off...I am my own man.

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
That's the million dollar question, Jim..
Me personally, i just think we shit the crap out of the establishment, and they didnt know what to do. How to respond
Look at what Perks says, all the violence of the previous decades, was met with greater state violence. Mass gatherings were expected to break out in to riots and were met with the SPG and Tactical Support Group, heavy handed policing.
Along came a bunch of spaced out kids incapable of violence and the state used the one tool in its toolbox.. if the only tool you own is Maslow's Hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail...