''I calculate in ten years time dance music is going to be totally dead''

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Talking of Pauly p's mixes, and also on Boddingtons tip about old rehashes, Pauly must have been one of the first to break Luke Foskeys remix of Arthur Russell's How We Walk On The Moon, one of the few times ill say a remix is better then the orig, and the original is fuckin amazing to start with

:luv::love:

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
Here's my take on it.

I think the bloke has a fair point, basically. And if there is good music out there but people have stopped bothering to look for it then it accounts for the same thing anyway, that most people can't be arsed so there isn't enough enthusiasm to keep the music alive as a major force.

What I think the major problem is right now - and this applies to other genres of music as well - is that the current formats have been done to death, drained of every last drop. Sticking to dance music, the history is one of old music being rediscovered and reinterpreted using new technology or musical styles. It's predominantly black music or black-music-based white music. And all the archive has now been plundered, well and truly stripped. Looking to the technology, turntables have been done, drum machines and samplers have been done - it's all been done to death in the search to re-manipulate those old sounds and create new ones. Yes, there are new tracks coming out but it's all variations on a very tired old theme.

I don't think dance music will die. And I don't think other musical genres will die. But what they need now is one of those periodic reinvigorations which happen in music where some forgotten musical genre is rediscovered and reinterpreted. Thing is, I don't think it's going to be based on black music as that's so exhausted it's even stopped twitching now. Where it will come from I'm not sure but it will be from somewhere else.

And I also think that somewhere in the mix will come some new technology - or a discovery that existing technology can do things hitherto unrealised to create new sounds - and that will be coupled with the reinterpretations above.

One of the big barriers at the moment is that R&B and hip-hop is so big, and so many vested interests have so much money riding on a continuance of its dominance, that a break from black-based music will not have industry support. And it will take a very adventurous soul to think out-of-the-box and look to other genres for inspiration when they are being bombarded daily by the same old same old in different clothes.

Music goes through this from time to time. Things will have to move on or music in general will die out as a commercial proposition. It's that stale now even cheese smells better.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester

...Check the ledge out, he's fresh enough to bring any scene back from the grave...and think of the mad dances you could do to this..he was the inspiration for king kurt and all that psychobilly madness, most of you were at little school..but us old fekkers have been out there clubbing and gigging scince the early 80's

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Brilliant stuff coming out everyday that still blows my mind.

looks like alot of people have stopped trying to find it :S

100000000000000000000% bang on.

We love old skool from particular years in the 80's & 90's. Im sure Punk & Northern Soul lovers listen to what we like and say the same thing from what we think the 00's and 10's are offering us.

Even back then you had to dig to find the good stuff, this will never changed in any style of music, example for me in today's terms is I'm loving the Deep House scene but yet again you have to dig in that style to find some mind blowing productions being made.

Great music is being made as we speak, we just need to get off our asses and find it! :thumbsup:

Hello to OSA btw its been a while since I last posted.

:thumbsup:

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
One of the big barriers at the moment is that R&B and hip-hop is so big, and so many vested interests have so much money riding on a continuance of its dominance, that a break from black-based music will not have industry support.

this.

the music channels on tv are playing this stuff 24/7 and it sells in huge numbers. we can complain all we want but like Stanton says it's a business and until there's something new that'll make the business some real money we're gonna be stuck with rihanna and ace hood. :cry:

it's interesting over the last decade to see that r'n'b (not my description) and hip hop have stopped using old soul/funk samples and now use rave-lite* and techno-lite* music as their basis. this certainly appeals to all these jonny-come-latelys who call dance music EDM. so the r'n'b/hip hop monster gets even bigger. you've only got to look at how much pull david guetta featuring... has on a tv/radio station playlist.

(*TM ivan_smackhead 2013)

we're up against it people. it's our job to get out there and find the new music. this is floating my boat at the moment...

adamz

Aug 28, 2012
W-wa
this.

the music channels on tv are playing this stuff 24/7 and it sells in huge numbers. we can complain all we want but like Stanton says it's a business and until there's something new that'll make the business some real money we're gonna be stuck with rihanna and ace hood. :cry:

it's interesting over the last decade to see that r'n'b (not my description) and hip hop have stopped using old soul/funk samples and now use rave-lite* and techno-lite* music as their basis. this certainly appeals to all these jonny-come-latelys who call dance music EDM. so the r'n'b/hip hop monster gets even bigger. you've only got to look at how much pull david guetta featuring... has on a tv/radio station playlist.

(*TM ivan_smackhead 2013)

we're up against it people. it's our job to get out there and find the new music. this is floating my boat at the moment...

Sorry to bother, just felt this strong urge of thanking you for sharing this. ha ha brilliant
Cheers man, all the best
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
Sorry to bother, just felt this strong urge of thanking you for sharing this. ha ha brilliant
Cheers man, all the best
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

heh heh don't thank me, thank guy gerber and clarian for making it.

i only heard it myself about 6 weeks ago. john digweed was playing in liverpool and before the gig he was dropping into 3B records to play for an hour at 6pm (one of the guys on the bedrock label, jemmy, works at the shop). my scouse mate was supplying the sound system and mixer (which is better than the shops own) and said do you wanna come along and we can get guest list at the gig afterwards.

great i thought. apart from the fact i live over 200 miles away! 3 and a bit hours later there i am in the shop. the guy gerber tune was the first thing he played and it knocked me for six. great piece of music and will forever remind me of that night. :cool:

i'm the fatty with glasses (on the right) at 0:59.