Internet Speed Test Thread

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan

That's what i'm paying for with Virgin's 10Mb/s service.

If anyone has a better deal than £47 a month for XL TV, Unlimited phonecalls with landline and 10Mb/s internet though then let me know and i'll renegotiate my terms :thumbsup:

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
I can get 27 meg upload and 22 meg download on my 4 gee iPhone in the back garden as opposed to 4 meg and half a meg in the house crazy! Mobile is the new fibre!

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
This is mine...

Attachments

• safe_image.php.png
    safe_image.php.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 161

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
well according to this testing widget...
download speed of 8.8mb

upload speed of 2.2mb

on a 3 network wifi dongle.

These were the results of mine this morning on a different test site

download was 7.48mb/s
upload was 1.69mb/s

again 2 mins later...

download was 5.8mb/s
upload was 2.1mb/s

Another contributing ballache could be my lappy, it may just be too old now, I have 4 usb inputs but not all are the same standard??? I occasionally get a msg informing me that "this device could perform better on a different usb port"...so I will just have to live with it until I can upgrade the hardware to rule out that potential prob...but still...it was only livegigstream that was fking me over...could watch youtube and use Soundcloud without issue.
So if it's not a speed issue, what is it, I assume that when we are playing it's the upload speed that's important...I broadcast using 96kbps/44.1khz, stereo...but have a wifi card that is limited to 64kbps...I actually don't need to use the wifi thing now I have moved, I could plug the dongle into the lappy with a lead...thats gotta be a good move.

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
Test Date: Feb 28, 2013 15:42
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Skipton
Download: 22.95 Mbps
Upload: 23.31 Mbps
Ping:
Latitude: 53.4021
Longitude: -2.3306

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/476377558.png

Ookla operates Speedtest.net using a massive global infrastructure to minimize the impact of Internet congestion and latency. With millions of tests performed every day across hundreds of servers, Speedtest.net is the ultimate resource for bandwidth testing and related information. Visit it on your computer today to find out why.

Sent from my iPhone

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan

That's what i'm paying for with Virgin's 10Mb/s service.

If anyone has a better deal than £47 a month for XL TV, Unlimited phonecalls with landline and 10Mb/s internet though then let me know and i'll renegotiate my terms :thumbsup:

Grrr. I looked at my bill earlier and the line rental is an extra £14.99 on top.

That explains why the bill is always £60+ every month :|

Checked Virgin's website to see when the proposed upgrade was coming and parts of the website said I should have already been upgraded to 20mb. I checked another part and it said my area hadn't yet been upgraded. I checked another part which stated I could upgrade to 60Gb 'from' £5 a month.

Looking at the speeds above, I don't think i'm getting the large broadband package anymore, even though it shows up on my bill as Large, if I have one of the slowest broadband speeds.

Might be time for a switch to Sky. I've just been preparing for a switch by spending some of the morning changing my blueyonder primary email account details over to another email addy, as i've found out that shuts down if you leave.

I don't know if the speed I saw on Sky was area specific, but the unlimited broadband there is only showing between 7-13Mb/s for this area, so it looks like some of the rest of you on Sky are either in a better network coverage area, or are doing really well with the speeds you're attaining. What gives?

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Well impressive speeds for a mobile. It's gotta be the 4G coverage in his area that's creating those speeds. I wonder how long before the service comes here to Wigan, as all you'd really need to do is tether the phone to your laptop, assuming it's a reliable signal.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I made an online enquiry the other day, but didn't commit to anything or even hear anything back. I downloaded an operating system update from Apple earlier and noticed the speed was a lot quicker than normal, so just done the test again

Bonkers then that they've made it 6 times faster and it makes it harder now to make the switch to Sky :S