The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
Interesting topic

So would you suggest just vinyl or would cdj and midi be banned as well

I own numark midi controllers and traktor pro but have converted my vinyl to mp3 and have a large mp3 only file

Vinyl would prevent younger members from playing due to cost etc but then again cdj and midi controllers are not cheap either but mp3 is easier to obtain and can see the vinyl collector would be horrified at the ease in which most tracks can be obtained a t fraction of the cost

I have an open mind on the subject but then again i don't have decks so :cry:

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
In my opinion no,personally myself i dont use it,wouldnt know how 2,but it has its use and caters for djs that just wanna do a mix for the masses and who enjoy there music.If i was in a club though i wouldnt be as impressed as i like to see the dj work the crowd physically and i suppose you wouldnt get that with vdj.:)

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
I really don't get the vinyl only thing? I have never encountered it before...if you are a really skilled up dj, you would use everything available to deliver the goods, if there is some kind of ownership thing that means files aren't as credible as wax...no way mate...not as valuable, sure...but every and any delivery method is good...it's the music and the message that counts...I have fed choons, that I have made or remixed, thru mini tape players, mini discs and cd walkman...before cdj's were invented, I have also taken my old atari and sampler along to certain gigs and mashed up the dancefloor with midi files etc...I'm talking 1995, I started playing...payed in real clubs...jan '92 when many club systems were not geared up for our style of playing, you were lucky if you had a mixer with a cross fader and sliders that worked without crunching... to assume that Sasha, Diggers, Seaman etc would not have used all that pukka technology to whoop it right up is way off the mark. I understand that any purist would want to strip away the unnecessaries to get to their personal nirvana, but that is only 1 aspect of dJing, and a very narrow view of the whole scene...not mine...one love.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Its all a choice at the end of the day - i dont own any digital stuff cant say im bothered as im happy with my records..... im not big into playing out or anything like that i want the records for me.... like a book lover likes a shelf full of books i like a shelf full of records.... i own it they are mine and i can go a chose and have a sniff and a fondle and covet said record if i so chose to :pcant do that with digi but hey ho peeps have these things for different reasons :thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
VINYL VINYL VINYL. :turn:

To be honest its each to their own but I prefer vinyl by a country mile. Gives honest sounds with no technology to hide behind and in fact my mixing is actually better with vinyl than on my A&H DX or Pioneer CDJ's (progressive is better on CDJ's as can blend for minutes).

I do think it would be an idea to put a note to say if digital, cd or vinyl mix whilst on radio.

The issue I have is my records are down stairs with my decks cdj's etc hence why I got the DX, I can have a little mix upstairs in the study away from the idiot box. Next house (hopefully in oz) will have a music room definately. So...

VINYL VINYL VINYL.:turn:

tilt

Mar 2, 2004
Germany
Never stop the evolution. I have no problem when DJ's spin digitally. I'd like to see more oldskool tracks in download shops. Another strategy is to buy those old trax on maxi-cd's.

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Would of thought a few more would take a bite on this subject. But i suppose some vinyl purists here might be keeping there opinions to themselves, for fear of offending anyone! Yes, you cant stop the evolution, so its definately a good thing that djing is alot more accessible via all sorts of mediums, cd, midi controllers, Ipads etc. As long as the music is good and playing and listening is fun, thats all that matters. However, there isnt anything like hearing a vinyl set whether its sublime or a bit rough around the edges. Extra respect should be given to vinyl djs on here for the time they have put in over the years perfecting the skills, amassing the records, doing it the hard way, the best way . . Old skool!

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
Would of thought a few more would take a bite on this subject. But i suppose some vinyl purists here might be keeping there opinions to themselves, for fear of offending anyone! Yes, you cant stop the evolution, so its definately a good thing that djing is alot more accessible via all sorts of mediums, cd, midi controllers, Ipads etc. As long as the music is good and playing and listening is fun, thats all that matters. However, there isnt anything like hearing a vinyl set whether its sublime or a bit rough around the edges. Extra respect should be given to vinyl djs on here for the time they have put in over the years perfecting the skills, amassing the records, doing it the hard way, the best way . . Old skool!

Got to agree on the quality of a vinyl sound and it does take a lot of time and expense on collecting records.

I dont own any djing software but understand the reasons why others do.

I have found out since i got my dex back out of the darkness (2003) that there are more n more digital djs out there than ever so it must have some super dooper benefits.And if i had some spare dosh i would invest in this digital revolution.:D