2nd hand Expedit shelves!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
I want a set of 2nd hand shelves, ideally brown/black and 4x4 but I can't beleive the cost at the moment. I want them for spares/on sale records to store in our dry garage hence 2nd hand. Either loads of people are collecting records again or people are finding other uses!

Any suggestions on where to look other than fleabay

S

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Ikea do one for £75 ...prob the same as the e-bay type, look the same, you can buy the correct size, stackable, cardboard boxes from the covers place on here, or as I did..made some up with 22mm chipboard and covered mine with fleece, but could just as easily paint..I measured all my shelves and spacers at 12" and the end that is exposed at 13" to avoid bent corners...it is a bit anal to cover your shelves with soft cloth, but you know that nothing is gonna happen to your stock, no shelfwear and it's a joy to use...I prob be wearing Hushpuppies next...

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Wouldn't buy them second hand as they will become weak when taken apart and put back together again unless the previous person has put supporting brackets at the back of each compartment and you pick it up still built and move it that way.

It'd be worth spending the cash on a new one and you might have just missed the ikea sales as they had 30% off the expedit range last month...

When I moved house I just left them behind as it wasn't worth taking them apart, just bought new ones :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
B&Q do a similar line too (or used to), but they're 4x2 and cost (or did cost) about £40. I found they take up less space with the narrower thickness of the frame than the Expedit and i've had no problems stacking them as they're much sturdier than they look.

You could save 10% if you take a pensioner in to buy them for you on a Wednesday too.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
^ Maybe not not. They sell a pinewood 4x2 cube, but it doesn't look sturdy enough for stacking vinyl.

ivan

May 24, 2006
tap end of the bath
no offence to blue jammer but i've taken my 5 x 5 expedit apart and moved it 3 times in the last 7 years. so, if you include buying them in the first place it's been built 4 times and still going strong.

i was at the tip last month and some fella had just thrown a 4 x 4 expedit on top of the wood skip as i arrived. if i'd been 2 minutes early i could have saved it. superb condition and in beech too, would've matched what i already have. :cry:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
I am very tempted to cross brace the 2 others I have as some of the pictures of collapsed units give me nightmares. Also very tempted to increase the height by bolting a 2x4 unit on top of rack 4x4

S

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
A pain...but you could screw a sheet of 4mm/6mm board to the back of it/them...that would stop them collapsing and with an oversized board, you could attach another unit ontop aswell, also the board could be used to give you purchase to the wall behind.....be precise and measure twice, cut/drill once and save some bunce is the key here...

muddyfunkstar

Jul 19, 2010
Burgess Hill, Sussex
Expedit, it's the favoured shelving of DJs and parents. For the latter, it makes excellent toy storage with the box inserts.

Once my kids have grown up, I'm going to get my vinyl out of storage, load up the expedit and teach them to mix :)