What do you want from an old school night?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

What do you want from an oldskool/old school night

• Piano - all night long?

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Piano - for most of the night?

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Piano - used more sparingly at times during the night, with other genres having a more equal share?

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No fucking piano?

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Electro, Hip Hop, Soul & Funk

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Sorry mate but I dont agree with your comment here. I put up a post in chillout and music chat asking for people to put their names forward to play as I didn't want to just pick people and get accused of favourtism etc. The people on at the event were the only people who replied.

Was I supposed to say sorry but no, I want more diversity and sit and wait for others to come forward? I was trying to get it sorted as time was running out for this year and I have tried to arrange it around everything else that is going on.

The reason I have so many people on is to give everyone a go. I'm not trying to run a night here just a doo where we can all get together

Can I just ask then..... If say 10 hardcore Dj's came forward and you knew what they were all about, would you have picked them all? I know it's not a like for like comparison Dan, but that seems to be what you're saying, but somehow I can't imagine you going for that.

I don't really want an argument though mate. While the good intention was certainly there to set the night up, it just looks to me like a massive oversight this that you didn't think how the night would probably sound to somebody else.

With all due respect mate, you seem to be the proverbial husband who'd buy his wife a set of tools for Christmas lol:D

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Can I just ask then..... If say 10 hardcore Dj's came forward and you knew what they were all about, would you have picked them all? I know it's not a like for like comparison Dan, but that seems to be what you're saying, but somehow I can't imagine you going for that.

I don't really want an argument though mate. While the good intention was certainly there to set the night up, it just looks to me like a massive oversight this that you didn't think how the night would probably sound to somebody else.

With all due respect mate, you seem to be the proverbial husband who'd buy his wife a set of tools for Christmas lol:D

Think what you want dude but yes, I would have gone ahead with it as I want to get it sorted rather than say hey lets have a doo, who wants to play and wait around forever slowly letting the idea and plan fade off and it not happen. I could of simply chose 6 dj's who would bring the crowd in but I didn't. If it was possible then I wuld have every fooker on.

Like I said i'm not trying to create a certain night, just an excuse for us all to get together and smash it up, its been far too long. I dont give 2 hoots who is on as long as its OSA dj's

I dont wanna argue too dude but your comments were a bit harsh as I have took it upon misen to try and get this going. Now I know why Butty dint want to do it, lol.

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
The main reason none house music dj's are rare on osa is because of the sheer music snobbery! I've seen the listener count halve within seconds of a none house dj coming on, It's not coincidence. A massive percentage of listeners are only after one thing on here and the counts speak for themselves..

I see your point but it isnt bang on.

My listeners on a friday night at 8, go about half off after Jack G...:hubba:
They do slowly creep back up tho
(and no thats not cos I start playing more piano tunes, I play all sorts)

I dont give a shit to honest but less than 5 listeners sucks yeah:|

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Radio is off topic I think as it's a totally different demographic (ooo-err) as you get a different bunch listening than you do going to clubs.

muddyfunkstar said:
It's not like any DJs back in the actual day ever did 2 hours of piano. A good set builds tension.

:thumbsup:

I was lucky in that most of the clubs I went to didn't play much if any piano, it was mostly Belgian/Dutch/US/German and UK Techno/Acid/House/Rave and some early Breakbeat stuff with the odd bit of Hip Hop and Electro thrown in - it was always varied enough and that's what kept people coming back as you'd want to hear all the new tracks each week.

Massively to blame are the overplayed anthems piano or non piano, you soon get sick of hearing all the big tunes out - I also think that because of this forum/the internet/our collections and friends etc that we are obviously more likely to moan/get sick of certain tunes/styles as we listen to so much of it. The only reason old skool nights in general make money is purely from the nostalgia of attracting lots of people that haven't heard ANY old skool sounds for 10/15/20+ years, so they are of course going to love it.

Why do you think I've gone further back and started with all the Electro/Funk stuff again?! :love:

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
FFs, Dan's (& others) pulled his finger out for a thankless task, and organised something to get us all out as a group again, i dont give a fuck whos playing, or what styles they play, im just grateful they have the chance to spin for us...:thumbsup:

No wonder the IMH nights fizzled out eh?:naughty:

And how the fuck do people who aint shown thier face think that Jenks is all Piano (this is aimed squarely at the facebookers)?
Its everything from Chicago, Prog, Italo, and yeah a spattering of Piano, a real good mixed bag and all DJ's following a common thread musically throughout the night, so far they have been the best regular Oldskool nites IMHO.phones:

Last edited:
The perfect night out ? A lovely warm up of soul / funk / hip hop/ electro / Balearic / curveballs.. something to get your head nodding & feet tapping as you go around the gaff meeting up & catching up with old friends... then the music & night progressively builds & the atmosphere with it... a mixture of all styles from all eras but with an overwhelming sense of it all being 'right'... house is a feeling...

Piano anthem after piano anthem after piano anthem has always reminded me of a 15 year old lad trying to impress birds by drowning himself in Brut 33... there's no fuckin' need... to me music & mixing is all about textures & contrasts... builds & drops... suspense & almost begging for THAT tune to be dropped... piano sounds dynamically more powerful when preceded by a stomper or perhaps a b line jackin dub...

In summary... classy drugs, classy people & classy music. :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
FFs, Dan's (& others) pulled his finger out for a thankless task, and organised something to get us all out as a group again, i dont give a fuck whos playing, or what styles they play, im just grateful they have the chance to spin for us...:thumbsup:

Agree with the sentiment of organising the do mate and props to the guys for doing that:thumbsup:

But as you probably know (from your revolution posts on FB) you speak your mind or ''nothing ever happens.....and the needle returns to the start of the song and we all sing along like before''

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
The sites called Old Skool Anthemz. So its no wonder really that old skool anthems are what go down best on the radio and stuff. I wouldnt call it music snobbery you get people who like all sorts of diff music mainly and tend to dislike others as much as you can tell by reading through the posts on this thread.. Not everyones as open minded as others when it comes to music, unfortunately.

Instead of having a moan maybe do something about it - start a site up - start a night up - anything thats more productive than jus sittin there havin a dib at those who are doing shit :thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Where's the love people......

The best throwback night I ever went to was in Ilford and was a true underground night, 87-89 inc DJ Rap in 95 with people actually from the era. Unfortunately and not having a go on the younger members on here, many retro nights are full of kids who would not have been born the first time the records were played out. A very close 2nd was world dance in Lydd aug 92, Trevor Fung etc in a big top, saw dust, strobes, basic laser and huge sound system.....just as it should be.

Common minded and cool people are the key, great dark, dingy and loud location, real music from the era not just anthem bashing and good potions or bar.

Was thinking of doing a night again a few years back with a friend. Night being acid, new beat and some early techno, ticket would have been circa £30 but the venue would have been true to the era and a free bottle of champagne

S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
The site used to have on it's banner '88-94', so those COULD have been the guidelines for the music policy here. Those years didn't even take into account some of house music's earlier classic anthem years, or anything beyond 94 though, let alone the music from years before house music that created all the ingredients needed for a rich sample base of accapellas, basslines, synths, pianos etc. I joined here in the pre radio days of 2005, a late starter to the board compared to some, and there weren't really any rules to discussions back then, or at least there wasn't anybody enforcing them. Once the radio years came shortly afterwards, while DJ's were still playing tracks mainly from those years mentioned above, there were still people playing music outside those years, so really, for as long as i've known this forum, there hasn't been any rules set in stone for music policy. People have to some extent played and talked about whatever they wanted here:thumbsup:

Anyway, this has been a bit of a runaway train of a thread and it's taken on a broader range of issues than originally expected. It started out with an observation made on Facebook to a perceived music policy of a night (set up for all of us with our own diverse tastes in music), which then turned into a debate and eventually degraded into a jolly and good natured pisstake, with the odd serious point thrown in at times. I was then asked to continue what i'd started on FB over here on OSA instead in a thread already set up about the do. I didn't want to drag that thread down in the same manner though, so instead I tried to detract comments about the night into a more meaningful poll. Unfortunately (while I was still in semi pisstake mode) I made this poll which focused the points more directly onto piano to gauge worthwhile opinions. Not my best effort then in terms of layout of the poll and I should really have tried to take a neutral stance here, but it's hard after reading some of the comments that appear to be missing the point of the exercise - which was TO SEE WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO LISTEN TO ON A NIGHT OUT AT AN OLD SCHOOL EVENT IN GENERAL.

Thank you please.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Nice downtempo balearic and soul, moving into into some deep US house pre 90 preferable (this stuff has been massively overlooked at nights out and rarely do you hear it esp dubs) then into some nice progressive and hip house & electro tunes maybe then have have some uplifting anthems dropped in with some beltin breaks and old style techno and new beat and to finish with lets have some funk and some disco to finish on a high!!!

There you go my perfect night! phones:

Shame i can do all that at home without having to pay for taxis or expensive drinks or have to smoke outside in the cold :p

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
It aint very sociable tho Debs, a group of you'se all sitting around the house?
Its the gettin dressed, the hitting town, hitting the pubs n clubs and meeting up that hits it for me.

Tho to be fair, one of the best of Barries new Peachy nights was the quietest in the Club, but we had a riot when all the DJ's and guestlisters rocked back to Baz house afterwards...

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Ive served my time good and plenty painting the town red.... i prefer to socialize with those nearest and dearest nowadays - as i said in my previous post if its its something worth going out for then ill do it but just for a mediocre night out to another run of the mill night id rather save my hard earned for a night out that i know is going to be spesh.

Love the christmas parties at mine its much better than going out, as for not very social, i have to disagree as i have everyone i care about under one roof all having a laugh - its much more intimate for me!

Im hoping my 40th party will be much the same!