How much is too much for a record?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
I've just watched one of my wants go through eBay USA with a final price just over £400.00, even too steep for me! I may desperately want a copy of Marcus Mixx but not that much

S

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
Ive never payed over £20 for a record and dont intend to either. Ive been tempted a couple of times but left it, ended up getting a lot of the said tunes for 20 quid or under lately. Its a long wait sometimes but prices have plummeted so Im reaping the benefits of my patience :)

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
I would just buy it man...fk the price, you not gonna lose much , if you keep an eye on whats what...and I know you do S, it's just like money in the bank...I bought a copy of Corrado - trust the other day...came in at around £60..but according to the UK market, should be worth at least £80, like I'm ever gonna sell it anyway...but also...I like the GAME...seeing what comes around the corner and how cheaply can I get it for, think I got my DJ Rap - Divine Rhythm??? for 50p...hahahaha...fkn nob was more interseted in practicing his golf swing than talking to me so I raped his bot bot...or I may have given him a bit more..lol.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I wouldn't spend good money now unless it's a big old school electro want and I think there's only one big but expensive tune I know about that I still haven't got. The last expensive record(s) I bought was Remixes Of The Spheres, but it's about a third of the price I paid now on oggs. Serato fills most other gaps unless I can pick the records up pretty cheap, or can't find a good copy.

About £15 is my limit (for non electro)

This is a couple of years old now but goes to show that people will spend ££££'s on nailing a want.

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Top-100-Highest-Selling-Price/11450

For me, £400.00 is pushing it, but I suppose it would depend on the tune.

i'm liking that James Jack Rabbit in at number 60 for $554, thta would mess my head on a dance floor :| wouldnt pay that though...

most i paid was 40 notes on ebay and the guy posted it in brown wrapping paper, resulting in creases to the cover and it wasnt as described (mint)... i hit the roof and ended up keeping the tune and getting my money back

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
I have deffo priced things of mine up so they wont sell, just cant get rid of my school...I have taken it all off discogs now and just left all the more obscure stuff and jazz etc...tbh...for me, it's that what brings in the money...I have only sold a handfull of tunes but grossed nearly £300...from soundtracks, new - romantics and horn blowers...???...so for me, selling a copy of the Terminator Soundtrack for £50 and then buying Corrado for £60 was a no brainer, effectively cost me £10...which was then subsidised by Mr Gary Numan...lol...the game is, not paying anything isn't it? and tbh...when I'm an old man (fingers crossed) I think the memories and the way the piece of vinyl makes you feel, will be priceless anyway...and when I'm dead and gone, they will prob be well looked after, worthless pieces of plastic in the charity shop...just like the ones I'm picking up now...for 50p.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
The most I have paid is about £80 so £400 is a bit heavy, also it is noted as near mint so is too good condition to use for dj'ing purposes. Regarding Rabbit Trax, I might have a copy up for sale at some point as have 2 although 2nd is in poor condition. If I sell I will let people on here know first.

Most recent purchases have been small collections resulting in some sale and some keeps. Recently picked up a 89-93 hardcore/Belg techno for £50, circa 900 records and generally good condition after cleaning. Would value on ogs circa £2k at minimum values.

Regarding electro, have a look over in USA, have bid but lost on some amazing home pressings which are extremely rare if not unique and consist of minimal synth ie 1 guy playing a keyboard with drum machine etc on a home recording.

S

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
I peaked at 50 quid for liquid crystal the power within biz 3r normally though 15 to 20 was my limit

Not bought vinyl for ages as I have had a mental few yrs !

Not worth the investment now but I wanted it badly !!!!!

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas

Nah! The best collections are poorly advertised with no picture and are generally bit of a punt. I got a mint collection for £110 which was pure hardcore circa 500 records, end of dealers stock for £150 inc some gems circa 1000 records, recently a hardcore collection, true underground for £50 for circa 900 records and very recently £60 for 900 records inc garage, house and electronic disco. I sell some and keep some.

Missed out on a collection of 2000 which I got stitched up, agreed £750 as all underground hardcore inc 1993 stuff but was sold as I was in the car to collect them to a dealer who coughed up £1.5k.

Best contact I had was in Chicago where I was buying some extremely rare records for $4 a piece.

S

DJRazz

VIP Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
I paid £25 for Love Decade is this a dream back in the day

I dont think ive spent any more than this on a record....but i have sold them for more when ive had duplicates :)

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Have yuz read the article in the Telegraph?

top 50 collectable records...tellin ya man...£8k for a sex pistols single...fkn awsome man, going thru my old singles box, and most of these are originals from my youth and have been propperly caned...got fkn £100's worth, Floyd, Pistols, Clash, Ruts, Trojan...list goes on, and now cos they seen as a viable investment...and the fat cats , will, have controll of the market a bit...we should see a rise in value...I hope...obv it's the Mint copies that investors will be after.

brown29

Jan 21, 2004
Leeds
Depends on the value to you. A record is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

£400? Personally I think this is too much.:)