I've broken the Apple phone grip and bought an Android phone, so what do I need?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
After 5 or more years of using Apple phones, i've decided to switch to a Samsung S3. I think Apple has lost it's lead in the smartphone market and are falling behind the competition now in terms of new tech and features, and even with at least one area of the software. There's no way Jobs would have allowed the maps fiasco in his reign and maps is a biggy for me as I sometimes travel in vehicles with no sat nav.

So while Apple still has the best construction, the most apps and is more stable, the fun has gone out of it's phones.

The new phone is a blessing and a curse though, for instance I turned the screen off 2 nights ago and when I woke up it had lost half of it's battery power, so it seems the apps continue running even when you aren't using them. I've got an app out for that now thanks to Benny D:thumbsup:

Can you lot point me in the direction of must have apps, or even pass on a tip or 2 for getting the best out of the phone:thumbsup:

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
I recently upgraded to Andriod 4 and found it to be lacking compared to the previous version. Think carefully before accepting new software updates. I'm sure my phone struggles to pick up wifi now where before it had full bars and excellent reception.

I use for travel, the trainline app, tripadvisors app and and mpg calculator for the van.
The rest is just sport, news, banking and games... would be interested to hear what other apps peeps use..

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
After 5 or more years of using Apple phones, i've decided to switch to a Samsung S3. I think Apple has lost it's lead in the smartphone market and are falling behind the competition now in terms of new tech and features, and even with at least one area of the software. There's no way Jobs would have allowed the maps fiasco in his reign and maps is a biggy for me as I sometimes travel in vehicles with no sat nav.

So while Apple still has the best construction, the most apps and is more stable, the fun has gone out of it's phones.

The new phone is a blessing and a curse though, for instance I turned the screen off 2 nights ago and when I woke up it had lost half of it's battery power, so it seems the apps continue running even when you aren't using them. I've got an app out for that now thanks to Benny D:thumbsup:

Can you lot point me in the direction of must have apps, or even pass on a tip or 2 for getting the best out of the phone:thumbsup:

right, firstly what you need to do is:

get another iphone, lol

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Hahaha Dan :D:p

What was I thinking? Er, that the iphone is lacking new innovation these days sadly. I'd say the HTC One and then the Samsung Galaxy S3 were the first real challengers to succeed what Apple really lead the way with. The bigger screen and newness of Android really does it for me though and I can't live without maps on a phone, so although i'm keeping the old iphone as a back up phone, there's no way i'm upgrading to io6.

Just wish Android had the cast iron security of ios, and the ease of use and the Samsung had the build quality of the iphone. Even the speaker sounds shit by comparison, but i'll still settle for the bigger screen and decent maps of the Galaxy S3 :thumbsup:

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
the skygo app is good if you have an account with sky at home. I watch it on the way to work on the bus and reception is bob on.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I don't have a Sky account. I used to watch live freeview tv on the iphone years ago though, so there must be apps for that I reckon:thumbsup:

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
I upgraded to iOS6 and like you say, not really much difference. As for maps I downloaded a decent sat nav if thats what ya after called skobbler

They reviewed sat nav's for smart phones on the gadget show and that came out top. Ya can get it for free and it works quite well but ya can pay for it, somert like £1.49, bargain

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've got that on my iphone already Dan, but last time i used it the mapping software had lots of local streets missing, so I knew it wasn't ready then and they also helped Apple build the software that's having problems. I was looking forward to the new mapping software on Apple as i'd heard they'd built it in conjunction with TomTom too.

Android users have had this for years though to be fair.

I think Apple need to start thinking about making 2 phones to appease everybody these days though. One with a large screen and the standard 4'' screen for the faithful. Once you go big screen it's going to be really hard to go back.

Now I just want to get this new phone up and running to somewhere near it's full potential.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
One thing I don't like about Android is the apps can be a bit shady. I downloaded a tv viewing app from Google Play that had decent reviews but it wouldn't play. It just turned out to be a dodgy text sex service. Every time I tried to shut the app off it asked me if I wanted to chat to a different random saucy woman's name and wouldn't let me end the program. I guess it's the trade off for having a more open service.

I've put Avast on my phone and I only hope it works against the threats and if anyone can help me out with other things I need .....:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Lol.

I've got it on mine Dan (the free version for now), but I don't know enough about Android to know if I need it, or which is the best one. I've had one dodgy experience within 2 days messing about though, so i'm going to have to look into it what exactly is the best way to keep myself protected.

I've seen a few posts on FB in the past with people saying their phone contacts have been hacked and mailing people, and other similar stuff before, this is on new Android based phones and I also read a few articles saying that a fair percentage of Android apps are infected with something or other, even in the major app stores.

It's the trade off again.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
The Soundcloud app wanted access to all my contacts, so i've skipped adding that:|

It's out of order really. Google/Android should ban that practice:naughty:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Android is completely bonkers. Even that app is asking for access to your Phone calls, serial number of your phone, the phone number you're connected to etc etc.

Doesn't anbody on Android give a shit about their privacy and that of their mates ?:S