Would you or have you sold Wavs or mp3's?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
I have had an offer for a copy of one of my records on Wav. The offer is very flattering however im not into selling copies,

I find it hard enough to sell records but to me copies are just wrong! The person concerned seems to be passionate about his music so may get a copy as a gift but not sale!

S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
People are always asking for mp3's but never had one offer cash, siman. I just ignore the requests anyway. It might be someone who genuinely loves the tune, or thinks it might be a big want even, but it might be someone flogging it somewhere. I don't see the point in cheapening the tunes by making mp3's available, unless it's to someone I know, plus it'll probably take the best part of 20 minutes to switch everything on, set the levels, record and convert. Too much hassle unless you need the rip yourself.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Your vinyl will always be worth whatever...diggy sales are a bonus, people who are amassing a diggy collection are very limited to where they can get stuff from...milk it man , they are worthless as soon as they are downloaded anyway, just another copy...and mp3's are w*nk anyways, quality wise I mean.
I will gladly give free copies of all my stuff, in wav, to anyone who's a full member on here...infact I've been doing exactly that by sticking it on my soundcloud for OSA'ers to download...obv it takes time and I need to get the fat account now, but all the guys and girls who've kept the scene going all these years can have mine for free...sell it while you can..lol.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
On the basis that the guy is on this site, I will gift a copy as only music lovers hang out on OSA;)

FYI track is Corrado Trust.

S

Last edited:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
\o/anthem\o/...propper in the hymn book that one man

Its an ok tune, got mine for 50p as part of an Italian collection as in genuinely bought in Italy and shipped back to UK. the b side is cool with a tribal mix which a bit more Italian but still rarely gets played. Is my most requested with Alias Civil Defence being 2nd, people can bugger off getting copies of that. 3rd is Terrance Woodard Jack The Box again no copies given out as very rare.

Been sorting through a collection recently purchased and stumbled across a track I've wanted since 1992 Green Baize, Switch Back....nice deep Italian....cool

S

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
Don't get me wrong...I only feel a debt to those who have kept the scene going through their hard efforts like Butty etc on here, I'm not into giving stuff to any undeserving net troll who's trawling for an easy collection, there has to be good reason for my nearest and dearest to get passed around, how do you buy in a bulk lot of records? Do you buy peoples record collection as a job lot? how do you know they're not all scratched and fkd etc, I don't have a lot of room really, I have maybe around 1500 records in my collection...lol..and I still forget i have some of those from time to time.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
...have you ever thought of selling a mixtape package...ie:- everything you need to re-create a certain mixtape from whichever DJ was required, I thought it would be a good earner but don't have anywhere near the collection of rarities that you need for such a library.

Robbie Chopper

Mar 23, 2006
On the mo-fo'in 1's and 2's
I first got the internet and found this site in 2005, I know some people are complete Vinyl Nazi's, some people are easy going and don't mind if your into vinyl or mp3 (myself included in this group) and some people (probably the younger crowd) don't get the whole vinyl thing and just think everyone should share mp3's....

I completely understand the thinking of the vinyl heads that A. it took me 15 years to find out the name of that tune, and B. I paid 175 quid for a copy of it so there no freaking way on God's green earth that i'm giving out MP3's of it willy nilly, especially when they can't be found anywhere on the net !!

I believe that the saying "you know who your friends are" certainly rings true in the subject of mp3 sharing. I have made some great friends through this site who have shared some amazing mp3's with me, some rare mp3's and some 'quite cheap to buy the vinyl but there s no mp3 on the net' mp3's with me. This is remembered and a mutual respect and sharing policy always ensues :thumbsup:
an example of this is when a mod on this site sent me a RAR file with all the mixes in WAV form from the vinyl of High Society ! This guy will obviously always receive any rip he ever wants from me if I have it ;)

at the other end of the spectrum, I have sent some people on this site numerous mp3's, only to be properly 'fu**ed right off' when needing one in return, needless to say, they will never get another from me !

what it boils down to is this, people will all have different opinions on the subject of mp3 sharing, it is of course down to personal choice, if you feel this person would of sent you it if needed, then by all means share it, possibly have a quiet word and ask them not to pass it on as you paid serious money for the vinyl and as everybody knows a widely available mp3 can sometimes devalue a vinyl, i'm sure they will understand, plus, if they want it that badly they'll pretty much promise anything to get it ;)

good luck on making your decision, it rests only with you and how you feel about hitting that "send" button ;)

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
...have you ever thought of selling a mixtape package...ie:- everything you need to re-create a certain mixtape from whichever DJ was required, I thought it would be a good earner but don't have anywhere near the collection of rarities that you need for such a library.

Love it, fall foul of copyright on 2 counts!!:thumbsup:

Im ok allowing the lead track go but the b-sides are for me only unless your lucky to own the record too.

Regarding vinyl vs digital im a Nazi!!:cry:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've ripped wav's and mp3's for many a person on this site over the years, without asking for or expecting anything back and i've also downloaded my fair share of tunes (including from people on here). It isn't just as simple as hitting the send button though. You've got to go through the process of finding the tune (not always easy, especially if you have a big collection like I have), switching everything on (takes my pc with the soundcard the best part of 5 mins to switch on and even longer for the av software to run without it then interrupting me to let me know it's finished), ripping the vinyl while checking the levels and maybe playing the file back, then maybe uploading to a host - if it's for a stranger. It can easily take a hour or more just to find the record and you could spend another half hour or more getting it to a state where the other person can get it.

You don't just magically pull a vinyl rip into digital media:crazy:

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
No one would be on this site indeed it wouldn't even exist if no one shared and passed their mix-tapes around back in the day, no one would be making music without those early free copies of CUBASE and Wavelab either...
I rarely think about copyright when passing around stuff, I'm sure that all those old house and hardcore bands could do with a few quid nowadays...but I do it for the love of the scene, so I'm exempt...that's the law innit?

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
yeah man...lol...public download for full paying members....everything I say is in good humour guys, I have a habit of typing with an attitude...apparently...lol...peace and love.

dodgymix

Been sorting through a collection recently purchased and stumbled across a track I've wanted since 1992 Green Baize, Switch Back....nice deep Italian....cool

S

You haven't been looking hard lol

Went through a period when I found that weekly lol

Nice label
Clearly stone age th most popular track but love a few tracks including that Steve Banzarar, aqua re and atelier

If you don't know much about the label check the artists

All the decent Italians are in there

Jt vanelli, marco baroni, Alex neri (the wizard in nature lol) And Alex lee