Rane Sixty Two

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've been using a Rane Empath on and off for a couple of years or so (as I have a love/hate relationship with it), but the crossfader on mine has started bleeding, albeit only slightly. They're P&G faders though, not the magnetic type that Rane now builds for it's mixers.

I think Vestax Pro scratch mixers had the best non magnetic faders and mine never went wrong in any way for all the time i've used it over the years, as did any part of the mixer. Now if I could only take the fader out of the Vestax and put it in the Empath......;)

Good to see the 62 coming down in price. Must be a new experience for Rane, but they're not on their own now as the only guys making that type of mixer, they've got competition and competition is good for us the consumers ;)

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
IGood to see the 62 coming down in price. Must be a new experience for Rane, but they're not on their own now as the only guys making that type of mixer, they've got competition and competition is good for us the consumers ;)

At this moment personally there is no competition against the Rane Sixty Two only if another Rane comes out,built in Serato owned by Rane other companies will not have Serato built into (unless you don't want Serato) there mixers unless Rane do some partnership with other companies which i doubt it (but you never know) i am sure Rane now has the edge,the all in one new generation of mixers things are going to get crazy in the DJ mixer world which for me has really triggered of lot excitement in the mixing scratching crossfading effects world the more on a mixer the better be able to totally separate yourself from other DJs & define your own style Club DJ/Hip Hop DJ,one of the best things also! decks into mixer,mixer into a laptop (usb) no need for loads of other gear & clutter just a sweet setup 2 decks 1 mixer & a latop! :cool:

I seen Jazzy Jeff on You Tube with a custom made Pioneer he had made with Serato built in (usb) but that must of cost the millionaire lot of money.

There is a Rane Sixty Two Z Special Edition for £1,599.00,why would anyone buy a mixer with someones else's name on it i would want my name on it! that is the only sign of weakness i found from Rane but it was Respect from Rane to Z-Trip for helping designing the mixer & to give it a good start in the market which is fair enough (but don't do it again Rane),funny thing is i might not even like it & go back to Allen Xone 92 but i sure will let everyone know.

PS: Do Pioneer Vestax Allen & Heath etc make time coding software & do Native Instruments make DJ mixers? if not then Rane have a huge advantage companies will have to either start making software or joining partnership,& also Serato is one dam good program to BEAT!!!!!! thats another huge advantage & things are getting more powerful smaller & compact just like the Rane Sixty Two which is another advantage its one of the smart business moves i have seen a company do in a long time.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I didn't know Jazzy Jeff had a custom built mixer mate, but then Rane has the exclusive right to build mixers for Scratch Live, so no other maker can build one without Rane's permission, so the competition you speak of is not going to happen unless Rane goes under (or builds a new model). I'm guessing that if Jazzy Jeff got a custom mixer built, it shows he doesn't think much of the 62, but thinks the world of Scratch Live.

Traktor have got in the act too now. They've built their own mixer with the audio controller built in, but for less than half the price of Serato's flagship model. It comes with Innofaders all round too, so it's going to chip away at Rane's hold on the market as people can now afford the alternative.

Anyhow, i'm still holding out for Benny's Vestax mixer ;) It ticks the most boxes in a mixer for me :thumbsup:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I didn't know Jazzy Jeff had a custom built mixer mate, but then Rane has the exclusive right to build mixers for Scratch Live, so no other maker can build one without Rane's permission, so the competition you speak of is not going to happen unless Rane goes under (or builds a new model). I'm guessing that if Jazzy Jeff got a custom mixer built, it shows he doesn't think much of the 62, but thinks the world of Scratch Live.

Traktor have got in the act too now. They've built their own mixer with the audio controller built in, but for less than half the price of Serato's flagship model. It comes with Innofaders all round too, so it's going to chip away at Rane's hold on the market as people can now afford the alternative.

Anyhow, i'm still holding out for Benny's Vestax mixer ;) It ticks the most boxes in a mixer for me :thumbsup:

Jazzy Jeff (the man) Had a Pioneer Serato custom built before Rane Sixty Two was out but look what he is using now! ;)

DJ Jazzy Jeff’s Custom Technics & Pioneer Mixer By Pimp My Turntables <-------- Jazzy Jeff's pimped out turntables and DJM 909

He has built in dicers into his Technics also but now he got the Rane he don't need all that now! Rane Sixty Two Wins again!

3 Innofaders does not make a mixer a good mixer i need a lot more info on this mixer you are speaking about then i can work out why it is half the price.

dj-jazzy-jeff-custom-technics.jpgdj-jazzy-jeff-serato-pioneer-909-656x492.jpg

Last edited:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Guess the modded mixer didn't work out :D

But the point was that the 62 was way too expensive for what it is. Every review i've read about it has stated so and they've priced it out of the reach for most hard working folk. Now somebody has built an alternative (even if it is a lesser quality mixer, although time will tell, but you would expect so) then they aren't the only player on the market anymore and that's always good for the consumer (even though i've little love for Traktor ;))

Innofader's does not by default make a good mixer, but sticking some of (if not) the best in the business faders in a mixer instead of some shitty ones, shows they mean business and scratch pro's will take them seriously now.

Ps. Just had a quick look at the vid and Jazzy Jeff is bound to be rocking a 62 for an Icon Series promo vid. He'll be well rewarded for it too ;)

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Ps. Just had a quick look at the vid and Jazzy Jeff is bound to be rocking a 62 for an Icon Series promo vid. He'll be well rewarded for it too ;)

Jazzy Jeff is a successful millionare that would not make no differnece to him & his love of scratching he wants the best gear! for his skillz & its the mixer he loves believe you me! ;) He is a clean cut funky cutting transformer mixer DJ/Producer & a perfectionist!!! :D

I know the price is high of the Rane it will come down in price it all ready has which i have been looking around.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
The 909 is/was a technical marvel (8 years old or more and still unmatched in many areas), but they have one very serious flaw. They break down a lot. Benny watches Thing a lot and his Pioneer seems to be broken more than it's working. Shame really as it ticks lots of the right boxes otherwise.

I think the prices of the 62 will drop a bit quicker now anyway mate for reasons already mentioned above :thumbsup:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Interesting to see the lack of creativity on those vids.

DJs are still repeating sections of a track again and again and again (DMC style) something I find really dull and boring. Creative to me would be to blend more things together instead of just repeating loads. Anyone else sick of the 'crab' style scratching, often not even in rhythmic timing at all!

Back on topic though, I wouldn't spend more than £800 on a mixer as don't see the point and like the old midi hifi vs separates, I would always go for separates so if one thing breaks you won't be without ALL the kit (food for thought)

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Interesting to see the lack of creativity on those vids.

DJs are still repeating sections of a track again and again and again (DMC style) something I find really dull and boring.

I hear you bro. And considering how long people have been doing this for, I'm surprised nobody can keep perfect time yet. It always sounds messy and bugs the hell out of me and if a DJ did it at an event I was at, I'd walk off and go to the bar.

£1800 for a mixer to use at home is ridiculous imo, but what do I know? :spin:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I love scratching that's done well and at the right time and that's the important thing here. Out of time scratching can sound whack - unless it's jazz style free form and pulls it back to hit the right spot, ie done intentionally and the same goes for out of tune scratching and using the same old same old scratch samples. There's a hell of a lot of creativity in the average pro turntablists bag though as it's 100% commitment to the art.

It's almost a polar opposite to a typical superstar DJ thinking about what to wear or where to lift their arms in the air for the dullards who think a DJ who's time synced a mix together is the messiah. Turntablists are the kings of the turntables, the top of the game and they can probably rock a party too. Those are the DJ's i'd happily pay to watch :cool:

I prefer old style turntablism to controller style effects (turntablism?:S) DJ's though, but it can good to see creativity done using pads and doing things that no fader technique is able to replicate.

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Rane SL2 £349 (sold)
DIGITECH QUAD 4 £400 (to sell)
Allen & Heath Xone92 £1099.00 (to sell)

Thats my setup to sell & buy the Rane!

The Rane mixer is for live cam radio shows i will be doing & making You Tube mix videos (at least one a month) & innovative things i want to try out i need the right tools for my style! it will all be in a coffin case if i can get the one i want in the UK which up to now i can not find! & be doing some gigs with my mate in a band so i can just close the lid & take it out with no hassles,also for 1on1 DJ lessons & productions lessons when the time is right after i get another 3-4 tunes out.

Try to keep the thread positive guys thankyou.

Benny-Digital

Apr 20, 2006
Pink makes the boys wink....
Rane SL2 £349 (sold)
DIGITECH QUAD 4 £400 (to sell)
Allen & Heath Xone92 £1099.00 (to sell)

Thats my setup to sell & buy the Rane!

The Rane mixer is for live cam radio shows i will be doing & making You Tube mix videos (at least one a month) & innovative things i want to try out i need the right tools for my style! it will all be in a coffin case if i can get the one i want in the UK which up to now i can not find! & be doing some gigs with my mate in a band so i can just close the lid & take it out with no hassles,also for 1on1 DJ lessons & productions lessons when the time is right after i get another 3-4 tunes out.

Try to keep the thread positive guys thankyou.

Monts I phoned a couple of places that do custom cases to suit your needs.. I can't remember the exact place but have a search man. Wasn't all that expensive either if I remember rightly..

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I will have a look at some prices for custom builds Benny if i can not find the one i want cheers mate! :D

That one is very close to the one i want Shooms with a sliding laptop tray but i want it all in black that link is USA Amazon but if you see one in the UK let me know cheers mate! :D

This is the one i am after:

fzgsbm10wbl-2.jpg

Those flaps at the front will be to load CDs. I think the case is designed for use with the Technics CDJs as opposed to SL 1200 record decks. Although I imagine they would make one that would fit the Rane and 2 decks. Ed

You're right Ed - Monty apols I should've read the description a bit more carefully (where's me readers :D)