Mini Synths

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

MattyH

Jun 17, 2011
Hi Guys, I just wanted people's opinion's on synths. I have always wanted one, even though I am not musically gifted and I have decided to buy a microkorg xl.

Are these any good and does any one have or use one?

thanks

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Hey fella,

Haven't used one myself, Have just recently bought an Access Virus B.

What a Synth that is........ I have only used Software VSTi in my music and incorporating this External Synth into my Project took a bit of getting used to but it can create some amazing sounds.

http://www.waf80.de/virus/gif/virus_b_big.jpg

Have you looked on youtube for the microkorg xl? Always demos and sounds on there.

:thumbsup:

Presuming Ed

It might also be worth checking out the Akai Miniak. It has a comparable sound pallette to the Microkorg and has the Gooseneck mic / Vocoder option and should cost you considerably less. There is one on Ebay at the minute here:

Akai MiniAK virtual analogue synthesiser with 40-band vocoder | eBay

If you are considering building a midi setup for sequencing you could also add something like a DJX IIB module. This gives access to some decent dance staple sounds at a very cheap price (they sometimes sell for as little as £25 - I think I picked mine up for under £20).

Yamaha DJX IIB | eBay

Another addition might be a sampler (For vocals, Drumloops etc.) You can pick up simple easy to operate phrase / groove samplers for under £50 on ebay. Boss and Yamaha produced a few units which give decent results and can be implemented into a midi setup.

Hope this helps. Ed