Your Software Sampler of Choice.......

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Hey guys, I really need some help, Now I have made Breakbeat Hardcore tunes in the past, but the chopping and slicing of breaks has always me scratching my head.

Now I get the logistics of it and have always done my Rex files thru Recycle and I totally get the slicing points on each hit of the break, etc...

But what do you guys do from there, I have always used Battery 3 as my sampler of choice but its not the most straight forward of programs, I don't have any MPC's or hardware, I have just got hold of FXpasions - Geist so I will give that a go, I just don't see any easy way of re-arranging or pitching up & down breakbeats, or even getting those 70's breakbeats to sound at least the way they did in the early 90's, and the same goes for samples in general.

And I don't really see any good breakbeat tutorials on youtube, only couple I could find were these.

Logic Tutorial: Hatttrixx Style Break Chopping - YouTube

Logic Tutorial: Hattrixx Breakbeats Part 2 - YouTube

And a surprisingly good hardcore tune using Geist as the sampler.

FXpansion Geist - Strictly for the Hardcore - YouTube

So if you get a spare 5 mins let me know what sampler you use and what you would recommend? & maybe your secrets on how you re-arrange & make your breaks sounds crisp & nice.

I am using Cubase SX3 just for reference.

Thanks

Dan

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I'm not sure if SX3 has 'Groove Agent One' built in or not? If not, I'd ditch it and install Cubase 5

Chopping a sample in Cubase 5, Groove Agent One - YouTube

Soundforge to roughly edit samples (trimming start/end) and sorting the levels out

Load into Groove Agent One and then use in your track as if you would a regular VST

Add EQ/FX and the good thing is, you can save your samples as a preset and load multiple channels to use different effects on them.

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I'm not sure if SX3 has 'Groove Agent One' built in or not? If not, I'd ditch it and install Cubase 5

Chopping a sample in Cubase 5, Groove Agent One - YouTube

Soundforge to roughly edit samples (trimming start/end) and sorting the levels out

Load into Groove Agent One and then use in your track as if you would a regular VST

Add EQ/FX and the good thing is, you can save your samples as a preset and load multiple channels to use different effects on them.

Many thanks there mate, Haven't checked if SX3 has Groove Agent One or not but it looks like I should upgrade anyway, I need to get to a point that I am happy with upgrading as I have quite a few unfinished works that won't be compatible with Cubase 5 one installed.

For now I have worked out importing breakbeat audio, then using Cubase timestretch function and slicing from that has worked ok so far. I do like the look of Groove Agent One though so thanks for sharing!

Nice to see your sunset session are going well. Keep at it, its refreshing to see!

:)