Amazon kindle

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
Thinking of getting one of these for my son.
To be honest he hardly reads but this may encourage him to do more reading.
Anyone purchased a kindle and if so are they any good also how do you pay for books,is it like a itunes voucher or do you need to add bank details.Have read some details about them on amazon but wanted a hands on opinion from somebody who owns one....Thanks...:D

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Ive just bought one for my daughter for crimbo, not opened it yet tho

You can download books via wifi off amazon and its linked to your amazon account, so whatever payment cards you have on there you can use

You can have some sort of internet cloud space as well I think to store the books on as well if you want

There are loads of sites to download free books as well

You also have the option of using torrents or newsgroups to get many books old and new in the kindle MOBI format (altho it reads other formats as well), then just usb it to the kindle itself, assuming its got a usb, sure it has

But I do not condone this behaviour of course:hubba:

My erin loves reading, it will be a really cool prezzie for her this year:)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
One of my nephew's got one for his birthday, but haven't seen him since to ask how he got on with it.

I downloaded a few books onto my phone, but I didn't take to the electronic version. Much prefer the real thing personally, but if it would encourage kids to read then that would be a good thing, but for £90 you could probably buy up to 30 great 'as new' books from Amazon, including postage:crazy:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
We have been having a convo about this round our gaff loads. I just can't do it me. I am a massive reader and for me a book is like a record. Sure, there are 'easier' or quicker/cheaper ways of getting the same thing, but is it really the same thing.

A good book in a full on experience imho. I like to touch it, stretch the spine and hear it crack, smell the musty pages. I love the way i carry a book i am reading at the mo around, from room to room on the off chance i might sly a page in. I love getting well -read and appreciated books off a shelf years later and knowing the crinkly pages came from some long bath with candles where i was that enthralled by the story i sat till the water was cold and i had wrinkly new born skin. Or the way a big crumb of something, pressed tightly in-between pages gives a clue to some hurridiely made butty devoured whilst lost in another world.

I could just never get that with Kindle. The same way as there is some kind of ceremony attached to pulling a record out of it's sleeve and listening to the sounds it produces, so is there to opening a book and getting sucked in to the story that is told in those rough papery pages.

:)

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
Dont be robbed in this country buy from the States and get the Kindle Fire which aint getting released here as far as Im aware.

Much better bang for your buck, in colour and running Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2"]Kindle Fire - Full Color 7" Multi-Touch Display with Wi-Fi - More than a Tablet[/ame]