The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Reet, here goes!!

Set off to Bowlers at 5pm and arrived about 5:30 ready to start work. First job writing out the ticket sales lists on paper as no one had a bloody printer!! lol.

Me nVee got set up at our post in the entrance ready to show off our skills putting the VIP wrist bands on folk. It was bloody freezing and started to struggle towards the end but managed it between the 2 of us, loads of ppl trying to blag a VIP upgrade, lol.

First set I got to hear was Vertigos who did a fookin ace job, playing loads of not so common tuneage to get the crowd warmed up. Proper enjoyed this set especially when he dropped Andrew Pearce mix of where love lives :rock:

Kept popping in and out as me n the lovely Vee were taking it in turns to mooch around inside. Think Bowa was up after? Again, kept the rhythm going and getting the crowd more and more up for it.

Then spent a bit of time chilling upstairs in the VIP lounge waiting for the FPI Project to take to the stage. Before them it was Jimi Polos turn to take to the stage, never heard him live before and it were pretty good only caught the better days tune :D

At this point peoples faces were starting to take different forms as they warmed up and the like ;) everybody was dancing their asses off :mad:

Then at 1:15 the mighty FPI Project took to the stage, IMO they ripped it up! I enjoyed every bloody second of it, playing such hits like Everybody (All over the world) / Feel it / Let's Go / Back to my roots and Come on & do it, with a very nice mish mash of the piano riffs played at the end :D

After FPI it was the return of the legend DJ Nipper!! Who's intro to his set was nothing short of brilliant - Starting with the 20th century fox intro into some proper bassy fooker. He had the crowd rocking although he was up against it as the deck set up wasn't the sturdiest and everything kept jumping :mad: tune of his set had to be his remix of ASHA - JJ Tribute, was nice to hear a different version, nice stabby piano at the beginning, Top stuff :thumbsup:

At this point my little legs were fooked and i'd had enough, stuck it out till the end though! To close the night off was Stu Allan / Together / Q Sound and Welly (Bless him, only got about 35 mins for his set)

All in all, all the DJ's and performances were spot on.

Reet thats the tunes out the way, next, the crowd.

Firstly, Big up to Rick Wormald who I haven't seen in ages and proper enjoyed your head, nice to meet DJ Bin-Bag / Greenbins (and his psychic lovely missis who guessed my age in one)

As always, big Spek to my wonderful partner in crime Vee 'Mad as a boat full of puddle ducks' Whiting :love:

Big shouts going out to: HikkyB / Amylee / Foxy / Antz / Crowther / Petra / Slaggymong / Ben Fisher / KellyG / Tigger / Sonz / Aimee / Faye / Gingerjim / Suddy / Dannster / Dawn / Dave / Ruth Sorry if I have missed anyone.

Finally - Big respect to the guys that put the night on, I for one could not even be arsed to attempt it, Tim / Butty / Recca / Welly and Johnny and everyone else who was involved!!

And finally the after mash, the venue was Antz apartment, consisting of Me / Vee / Antz / Suddy / Gingerjim / Butty & Sonz (For a bit) And Nipper who had a good time watching us fook wits do what we do best, discussions about putting a coat on properly, playing a LIVE set purely thru a smart phone and the dissapearence of Nipper wearing only one shoe and a girls Dress.

Quality, reet thats all folks. Until next time?

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
So a review - got there at 9am and the bouncer informed me he was in a bad mood and if i did not empty my pockets fully he would throw me across the car park- I thanked him for his warm welcome

We had gone VIP after having to Q for an hour at Fantazia in October wich turned out to be a waste of £15 quid for some fizzy wine and a working mens club room ;)

My mate also could not get back in after getting his missis into a taxi at 1 am :mad:

Apart from that had a brilliant night never heard a tune repeated - the DJS were good but i was surprised at the standard of mixing at times- however having never played myself professionally who am i to judge?- And i can only imagine it was hard to hear at times

ANy way it fitted my abiding memories of bowlers to a tee :)

The PA's were ace- i think i agree with Dan - FPI rocked the place i also really enjoyed together as well

Danced for 5 hours solid and went on the dodgems and got to see Sonz and Butty wich was a brucie bonus as not see you gys for ages :love:

A brilliant night - i have a fair few vids to share- but for now revell in the glory of nipper and FPI :king:

Risky- FPI project- Live Bowlers 4.12.11 - YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOPgGEA0scA"]DJ Nipper Sweet sensation scratching session bowlers manchester - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY_loemV1IE"]Together Live at Manchester Bowlers 4.12.11 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1Kw5LNzxg"]Dj Welly live at Bowlers reunion Manchester 3.12.11 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

DJ Bin-Bag

Apr 7, 2003
preston
BOWLERS Saturdasy 3rd December 2011

:thumbsup:
Well, start at the beginning.. Arrived at 8:30, got a beer and we had a good look round, felt stange as it was just how i remember the place from the early 90's , e.g steps from the bar area to the massive dancefloor. After seeing doormen hassling folks in the toilets found an new place to drop diddleys etc - The Dodgems:p

Thought the music was excellent, nice to hear 'straight up house early on. The Void tune, Nippers set i thought was excellent - however i thought it sounded like there was a latency problem? especially when scratching sweet sensation - though it could have me me as i'd just taken a phat bag of MDMA and my head was boiling and I was hallucinating. The Lasers looked fucking Amazing!! Did i really see Big Bird off sesame street off the dancefloor?

Stu Allens set was not my cup of tea - too cheesy for my liking, although i know he pulls in the crowd tunes like 'clock - holding on' are net what its all about. Personally thought the music pre stu allen set was the best.

There been a lot off reports on FB about trouble, i did notice a few things towards the end which you get most places thesedays - just walked away and danced somewhere else.

Great to bump into some peeps off here, Dannster, Vee, Slaggymong and Ben Fisher. And a big thanks to Superdan:thumbsup:

Will defo return for the next one in March.

CREBAG

Jan 31, 2005
re

Good night but doorman were out n out bullies, that needs looking at for future events, someone for got to tell them that there job is to look after the customers not put them in headlocks, slap them around or take them to discarded rooms to try and strip search them, none of these things happened to me but i did see it going on.

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
Good night but doorman were out n out bullies, that needs looking at for future events, someone for got to tell them that there job is to look after the customers not put them in headlocks, slap them around or take them to discarded rooms to try and strip search them, none of these things happened to me but i did see it going on.
This is very true and now you say it it reminds me one of our party was searched and they threatened to strip search him- just incredible

Dave-M

Dec 9, 2011
Hiya,

Just wanted to add our story to this as it was us that started the ball rolling on Faceberk about the whole bouncer intimidation thing.

We got there well before it opened, myself and my Mrs, I'm a 41 year old bloke, don't drink, just out for a good time. Got searched 3 times on the way in, 3x pocket empties, 3x frisks and a metal detector. My Mrs got 2x searches.

So, we were in there until about 11:30, just me and her, dancing, hugging, the usual kinda stuff for that kind of event. My Mrs sat down to my right and as she did, 4 bouncers swooped on me, one tried to push me into a dark corner with a maglite to the belly, to which I pushed him back and told him to get fucked, he was Polish (as is my Girlfriend, fortunately), he said he needed to speak to me in this dark corner, I asked why, he wouldn't tell me, so again, I told him to get fucked. Then another bouncer started, this time a skinny black guy, he said that the polish guy wanted to strip search me, and at this point I actually pulled me and my Mrs away from this corner because I feared for my safety as another 2 bouncers had arrived. They said, we are going to strip search you, and I said, no you fucking well aren't, you have no legal rights to even touch me, and if you do, you will be in trouble. At this point, the black guy conceded that they had no legal rights, nodded to the polish guy and then said to me that if I did not consent to a strip search, he would have to ask us to leave. I immediately said that we are leaving anyway. They then flanked us to the foyer.

So, we get to the foyer and we are guided to the left hand side, a door is flung open and they say that they are going to strip search both myself and my Mrs and 3 of them are trying to force me into this room to be strip searched - By this time, I was, shall we say, fuming? Aint gonna happen! The very thoughts of them keeping me in one room while four of them strip search my Mrs is enough for me to push past the Polish guy and kick up a fuss, I could see plenty of non bouncers, a CCTV camera, and ambulance staff, so if they did try to detain me against my will, then they would have been in bug trouble. As I was leaving, the black guy went over to who I presume is the head doorman, said something and he came walking after me shouting that he's remember my face and that I'm barred for life.....

Now then, I'm 6ft 2" and 16.5st, big build (bigger than the turds that tried to to accost me) and can look after myself reasonably well, the thing that worries me here, is that had I been a shorter, skinnier chap, would I have been overpowered and would my Mrs have been subjected to an illegal strip search by 4 or 6 male doormen as they were threatening to? It seems so.

So, when we got home, I posted our story on the Ultimate revival's facebook page and also Bowlers Manchester's wall - The TUR one had over 90 comments by the morning, but was soon deleted, the one on the bowlers wall was there for 11 hours, but again deleted. I spoke to the owner of Bowlers and he was really nice about it, offered us a refund on the tickets and other stuff which is probably irrelevant for here, but he did admit that there was an issue on Saturday and has called a meeting with their security firm. I've also requested a copy of the CCTV under the freedom of information act, which, if it does materialize, I'll post up.

As for the actual light itself - Another piss poor sound system, decks jumping, DJs letting tunes run out...pretty shoddy to be honest, but then again, maybe we are a bit biased now :)

Bonanza

Nov 2, 2011
Ellesmere Port
So, we get to the foyer and we are guided to the left hand side, a door is flung open and they say that they are going to strip search both myself and my Mrs and 3 of them are trying to force me into this room to be strip searched - By this time, I was, shall we say, fuming?

Shit on toast mate, thats a fuckin disgrace!!! :mad:

Seriously you should contact the local council licencing dept ASAP and get them to look at the CCTV etc. Those door staff should have their licences taken off em.

I know it was an old skool night, but never thought it would be old skool bouncers as well!

Dave-M

Dec 9, 2011
So, we get to the foyer and we are guided to the left hand side, a door is flung open and they say that they are going to strip search both myself and my Mrs and 3 of them are trying to force me into this room to be strip searched - By this time, I was, shall we say, fuming?

Shit on toast mate, thats a fuckin disgrace!!! :mad:

Seriously you should contact the local council licencing dept ASAP and get them to look at the CCTV etc. Those door staff should have their licences taken off em.

I know it was an old skool night, but never thought it would be old skool bouncers as well!

Well so far, they've been co-operative, but until I gt the CCTV, I can't say what I'll do either way. The plan was just to go straight to the police because several people tried to suggest that we were either dealing or up to no good, something that, if you knew us, you'd know couldn't be further from the truth. So, just going to see if the CCTV is forthcoming and then I'll see about posting it. I do want to reiterate that the guy that owns bowlers has been really good about this so far, but this is far from resolved, and could still go either way, depending on his CCTV footage response!

The odd thing is that an almost identical thing happened to me in there back in 95 when it was the old school bouncers, taken off to the bogs and given the old forcible search and a bit of a twatting....for opening a packet of chewing gum and then having no drugs for them to take off me! :/ Must have one of those faces :D

Another interesting snippet that I forgot to mention was that these searches performed by the doormen are supposed to be done in this little room, whoch is actually a disabled toilet, but there HAS to be a duty manager there at all times, however, the twats that tried to search me, firstly tried to search me in the main arena, which is against bowler's policy, and also there was no duty manager in the little room off the foyer either.

Bonanza

Nov 2, 2011
Ellesmere Port
Dave M,

Hope i am wrong mate but i bet that cctv is 'lost' and deleted, prob would have been best going straight the law like u said. Door staff have no power to search you at all, it is voluntry as a condition of entry. If you refuse a search all they can do is refuse you entry or turf you out, they defo cant strip search you!!!

Keep us updated as to how u get on matey. I fuckin hate bullying door staff! :mad: Thankfully most are ok nowadays.

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
I was with my missis as well- if someone had attempted to indecandentally assualt us both (which is pretty much what it amounts too) i would have been seething