• Thread starter Deleted member 6141
  • Start date
Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
My brother's just come back from Iceland and was lucky enough to see them briefly one night:thumbsup: Absolutely amazing watching them with your own eyes, but a bit chilly:cool:

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Hoping to see the southern lights when I move to New Zealand, You can see them in a small town called Bluff on certain nights of the year.

Awesome stuff......

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
I would love to see them. I love the contrast of something so beautiful originating from the battle between the earths magnetic field and something as devastating as the solar wind

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I would love to see them. I love the contrast of something so beautiful originating from the battle between the earths magnetic field and something as devastating as the solar wind

Our planet is still trying to protect us even though we are not very kind to it.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Good Post :thumbsup:

Jim you have seen them haven't you? Where was it? Would love to see them myself some day :)

Sure did Dan and almost every night. It was Finnish Lapland I went to, a place called Yllas.

I posted plenty of pictures on FB from the trip, but if you have any questions then give me a shout :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
A mate of mine saw them in Aviemore this year when she walked back to the house while the rest of us were getting lashed in some club. I think they were visible for 2 nights there, but there was a particularly strong solar flare that made them visible so far south of the Arctic Circle over those 2 nights.

There's a bit of a myth that it has to be cold to see them too, but the solar winds are hitting the Earth constantly and it's just a case of being in one of the right places at the right time and you might well have seen them Brock if the solar flare was massive beforehand, like the time one wiped out many orbiting satellites and took out a good chunk of North America's power grid. Rare events, but they do happen.