Birthday Bash - Zanzibar 23/04/11

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
I thought I had better get round to posting a review of my 40th birthday bash. Now that I've finished opening my pressies :cool:

And to once again say thank you to all that put up with my stress and panics; on the lead up to and during the night – you know who you are; you saviours. To all the dj’s that allowed me to indulge my musical loves without giving me too much grief about it being all over the place. And not leastly to all that attended, to see you all at once and enjoying yourselves was my biggest wish for my birthday; so thank you all for making it happen.

The whole night only happened as a fluke kneejerk reaction to Pluto saying he was giving up dj’ing on a night out; causing me to have a split second thought “how are my ears going to live without his unique storytellingflowing style of mixing” that made me plead with him to play for my 40th given this was over three years away at this point I felt flattered that he agreed. And as time went on nervous that he would remember...

As to the venue; there was only ever going to be one venue it could have been – a place so special to me and to many on here - Marple Liberal club (the Liberdome as called BITD); but seeing as they pulled it down 15 years ago, I was stuck for something that was old school and meant something to me. I never found a secret passage way in Manchester Triangle to the Konspiracy club. Hacienda or the Boardwalk flats seemed inappropriate. Manhattan heights, Hippodrome, Thunderdome all pulled down. Stockport Monroes rebranded and closed. Legends - better known as the Twisted Wheel; Manchester’s Northern Soul home (now only monthly). Were willing to offer me a room in their awesome venue... on any night apart from Twisted Wheel night... i.e. a gay night.

So my thoughts travelled to Liverpool and how to give you all a night that would be special to you; even if I had never been... And once the Zanzibar was chosen everything else fell easily in to place.

It was surreal going to a night out knowing in advance that all of the music was going to make me smile; and boy did it do that in heaps. It was great to hear people saying how good all the dj’s were and how they loved the tunes both on the night and after the event. http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/chillout-room/103098-pepe-le-pew-40th-video.html

It doesn’t feel like I got to talk to everyone for long enough or listen to all the dj’s; but really would love to hear your sets replayed if you can get chance. http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/music-chat/103060-kev-s-hazy-40th-birthday-sets.html :love:

There are a lot of lessons for me to be learnt about arranging a party of that scale. Thankfully I’ll never turn 40 again so won’t think about doing anything like this for another 10 years lol

We raised £285 some shrapnel and a 5 carat plastic diamond for charity (I bet I can guess who put that in). I will get a confirmation of donation from Alzheimers Research Society as soon as I get it paid in to the bank

Biggest barrier to my writing a review beforehand was that I had got so out of it on the night, that I had left without taking the donations. Thankfully the Zanzibar kept them safe for me, saving me from a major embarrassment :$ :D

Sweaty hugs all round :love:

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Best night out so far. Fact.
Nothing else i can add that Kev aint already said..

We have got to seriously pull our fingers out at Bod N Berns to lift the bar even further now!:thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
ah Kev, it was a glorious night out! so glad it lived up to youre expectations!!!!

Was very chuffed to be asked to kick things off upstairs esp playing the style that i have adopted as my own lol :p Really enjoyed it....didnt even care when Alex ripped the plug out of the socket causing the decks to go off, complete scilence and all eyes on me :$

All the djs were great i think i managed to catch snippits of everyone - even Barry who was playing downstairs at the same time as me.....sod it i thought, put the needle on the record, leg it downstairs shake me toosh and leg it back again :p :p

I was extremely hammered that night in true HAZY fashion and to be told to get down off the table was a step back in time feeling like a true rebel lolol! :mad:

Tunes were bloody fabulous - atmosphere was bloody fabulous and we all had a bloody fabulous time!!! (roll on my 40th :| )

I remember what you said to me on the dancefloor (its not about having a big crowd.....its about having the right crowd) How right those words are.... and youre 40th is perfect proof that it dont take hundreds of peeps to have a good time because the right peeps can have a good time in bus stop if they want too ;)

I will miss HAZY and all who sail her but nice one KEV for letting us through the doors one more time :thumbsup: :cops: :cops: :cops: :cops: :cops:

Heres onto Bod and Bernies doo now next week (hells bells i think i need a zimmer) :dummy: :eyebrow: :p :p :p

PS - I will get round to sorting the rerecorded set out soon as poss hun!!! :love:

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Debbles, i also I think it went well because Kev & Sarah are two of our most loved Ossers, everyone wanted this to go right off just because it was for them..:love:

elvisontour

Jan 9, 2004
IN A HOUSE
Oldskool

WAS DEFFO A BLAST

I was wasted by 11 as I had been there since half 6 lol.

I love the zanzi kev top place to pick and I loved every minute as you could tell I even brought my light sabre lol.

I met a few new and old friends and it just seemed to be over to soon but how can you fit everything that is good into one night all I can say is you did it mate and to be honestt must have been well planned lol....

Memories of the night keep flooding back did mart jump back on the decks for the last songs because all i know is I was dancing like a loon at the end.:thumbsup:

Just now downloading the mixes so im sure it will all come flooding back as it was deffo a variety and I bloody love the royal variety show so hats off to all the DJS who played..... :thumbsup:

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
Finally got an acknowledgement letter from Alzheimer's research trust.
Thank you once again to everyone that attended and helped me out. You made my day.
I'm still listening to all your mixes :love:

Attachments

• Scan10846.JPG
    Scan10846.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Scan10847s.JPG
    Scan10847s.JPG
    598.2 KB · Views: 157