Creating that Dub Bass sound "Help"

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Hey peeps need some advice on creating a Dub Bass sound (Im hoping im right in calling it that)

Anyway got a couple of examples for you from tunes I like the bassline in, If anyone knows how to re-create it, EQ, Effects how many layers, what sort of Wave it should be etc then that would be helpful.

Quite a lot of Old Skool music used this technique to create good basslines, So im sure its not too hard & im sure ill have the tools to do it but im just struggling to create it.

Here are the examples.

Download altern 8 - re-indulge (Dub Bass Sample).mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Download B2 - Dub Base - White Lies (Dub Sound Sample).mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Any help would be ace!

Presuming Ed

To create a sub bass type sound, which I think is similar to the dub bass, you would need to start with a sine wave. I know the early hardcore producers used a blank patch in an akai sampler which incorporated a sine wave and applied a filter envelope which if I was guessing would be low on the cutoff and moderate on the resonance. Ed

Presuming Ed

Having listened to the sample of altern 8. I would say that the sound you're after could be made with a blend of a Saw and a Square wave with a bit of delay added. Low cutoff and fairly low resonance for the filter envelope. It's not the same sort of sound I originallly thought you had in mind. Ed

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
That Altern8 one... I'm about 90% certain that's a Juno preset. Don't ask me what model though, but there's one almost identical which you can find on the Juno D called "House Bass 2"

I used it on this:

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Bass.mp3
    259.2 KB · Views: 60

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Thanks guys, will have a look on what you have suggested. is there a VST version of the Juno D? Or anything that emulates it?

I have FM8 which is a VST for emulating the Yamaha DX7. Would that be anygood?

ComaProject

Oct 24, 2010
I have FM8 which is a VST for emulating the Yamaha DX7. Would that be anygood?

yes, should be perfect. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some DX100 presets for it tbh.

Alternatively get discoDSP... as that can import DX SysEx.

EDIT: actually, just did a google and you can also do that with the FM8.

Download and unzip the following sys-ex patches of the Yamaha DX-100/27/21. (These synths had identical engines, although each one was different in size. However, they also shared the same exact factory patch/program presets.)

http://homepage.mac.com/cavecybernation/2010/dx_patches/a-z.zip
http://homepage.mac.com/cavecybernation/2010/dx_patches/DX21.zip

Then upload the patches to FM8 and enjoy :thumbsup:

And by the way, “Solid Bass” or “Solid Bass 2” patches are for Lil Louis French Kiss bassline sound :hubba:

Last edited:

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
yes, should be perfect. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some DX100 presets for it tbh.

Alternatively get discoDSP... as that can import DX SysEx.

EDIT: actually, just did a google and you can also do that with the FM8.

Download and unzip the following sys-ex patches of the Yamaha DX-100/27/21. (These synths had identical engines, although each one was different in size. However, they also shared the same exact factory patch/program presets.)

http://homepage.mac.com/cavecybernation/2010/dx_patches/a-z.zip
http://homepage.mac.com/cavecybernation/2010/dx_patches/DX21.zip

Then upload the patches to FM8 and enjoy :thumbsup:

And by the way, “Solid Bass” or “Solid Bass 2” patches are for Lil Louis French Kiss bassline sound :hubba:

Awesome, just tried it, sounds like what im after, been playing with FM8, its such a good VST, there are loads you can do with it! Thanks mate I owe you one!

:thumbsup: