production - where to start ?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Robbie Chopper

Mar 23, 2006
On the mo-fo'in 1's and 2's
i fancy getting into production but not sure where to start :S

hardware is unfortunately out of financial reach so i wondered what would be the best software thats pretty easy to use and available cracked or whatever :$ (cheapskate.lol) (would help if there's an idiots guide to it somewhere on the net or tutorials on youtube)

i have Ableton and have done a few little mashup style things with this but that was purely taking samples from other tunes.

i quite fancy making my own beats and basslines and stuff with a look to making dirty electro tracks ( i know that genre is not to everyones liking on here but i kinda love the energetic filthy stuff :D lol )

just wondered what software people would advise to start with thats easy to use and wouldn't be too much hassle getting hold of ????

any advise welcomed, cheers
Robbie :D

Robbie Chopper

Mar 23, 2006
On the mo-fo'in 1's and 2's
Give Reason a go Robbie. I'm not that good when it comes to computers and music, but I did manage to put soemthing togther quite quickly, and the sequencer is fairly intuitive and lets you copy and delete parts fairly easily. Ed

i used to have a cracked version of Reason on my old laptop but that crashed and i lost it :( i never could work it out though, used to baffle the crap out of me.

i've found some tutorials on making housey stuff in Ableton so i've downloaded a drum library full of snares and kicks and stuff and am gonna have a go. makes sense as i already know how to use Ableton a bit :D

cheers for the advise though, i might look into finding a version of Reason once i get the basics worked out. :thumbsup:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I used to use Reason quite a bit, but never used the sequencer as I thought it was so small and fiddly. Only ever had it re-wired to Cubase.

Saying that though, I've used Cubase since the days of the Atari ST so I suppose it's just a case of sticking with what you know. Give it a try and see how you get on :)

Myk

Reason & Acid Pro (via Rewire) with Ozone VST is my most habitual method. Acid Pro like Ableton, Cubase and a long etc is pretty much a "generic" DAW, I have tried lots of them and they all work much the same way. Reason on the other-hand stands out from the crowd. It's functionality is so different that most people who have used one of the other DAW's previously mentioned tend to open it, fiddle around for a few minutes and simply get overwhelmed with how complexed it appears. In truth it's actually very easy to handle but it is so different from what you are expecting from a DAW that it can seem daunting at first. However, if you stick at it and go through a few video tutorials, within a few hours you'll begin to see it's actually very intuitive. Reason unlike standard DAW's does not rely on the use of third party VST's but instead uses it's own internal emulator modules. That makes for infinitely more flexible sound creation. The only "weak" point of Reason comes to light when recording input from Mics/Live Instruments etc, an area Propellerheads simply have not implemented in Reason. For that purpose they have Record on the market. Therefore another generic DAW (in my case Acid Pro) is often needed along side for additional input layers and the use of a mastering VST (like Ozone).
In short; learn how to use Reason, once over the initial hurdle you'll soon find out it offers something quite unique.
:thumbsup: phones: :thumbsup: