Technics 1200 vs 1210's - Mk?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Think I'm going to treat myself to some Technics in Jan, have never had a pair and feel I should get some before they start going out of fashion completely. Also want some decent decks for ripping my vinyl for playing out as well.

So, of all the various models, which come the best recommended? Going to get the second hand I think, so thinking 4-500 is about the going rate. Hoping to get some that haven't been battered!!

Cheers
Ed

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
First up....Wiki link for differences. Technics SL-1200 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the money your talking about, I would get a great condition pair of 1200 mk2's or 1210 mk2's if you must (1200's look soooo much better than cheap looking 1210's (light the touch paper....now watch it go). I would ensure what you buy have original boxes, original lids and if possible original rubber slipmats. If these are present then likely the decks have been well looked after.

Check the platter and strobe to ensure timing is correct, stop and start and rock the tone arm as a common fault is the tone arm working loose. Also check condition of phono leads as these also de-grade resulting in poor sound.

Yep a great pear of 1200's mk2's for say £450 and spend the rest on some nice headshells and slipmats.

Later models do have their advantages but usually come at a cost. My 1200's, 1 set from 1989 and going strong, 1 set from 1996 (UK spec one of 6 pairs only ever made) and 1 set from 1997 in the loft as spares. Treat them well, service them once in a while and they will last for ever.

My 2p's worth

S

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Cheers lads. Thinking if going for 1200 mk5's if I can get a pair now. With the Mk2's they could be 20 yrs old so reckon it's worth the extra....

1210 Mk 5g's are the epitome of desirability - I :love: my pair

19318d1227339241-technics-1210-mk5g-decks-technics-1210-mk5g-decks.jpg

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Just an aside, how come Technics seem to be the gold standard we measure decks with?
What else is out there?

Think they've always been streets ahead. Started manufacture when the Japanese were heading up towards peaking in terms of industry. Don't think anything even touched them until recently.

Have heard good stuff about Stantons though.

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Good lad....1200's are simply better everybody knows that;)

Seriously, ive had my 1200's for over 20 years now and they are working perfectly, they have signs of wear on the top casing otherwise great. If they did break then I would want to upgrade to mk5 golds or even mk2 gold editions (although these can be up to £1k each for realy good ones). I would also love a pair of SL1200 mk1's rare and always seem to come available in USA...postage always kills te deal.

The mk5's do have better pitch control although I always try and keep records within approx 3% of each otherwise can start to sound funny so the extra 8% is unlikely to be any use to me.

If possible when buying take somebody who already has technics with you as they will be used to how they should feel ie strength of motor, brake, feel of tone arm etc. Avoid anything which has been in a flight case or has covers or been painted etc. Otherwise they are generally bullet proof.

Why Technics, they are hardy, easy to fix, parts always availible, do the job perfectly and are already installed everywhere. I used some vestax years ago, friend paid a fortune for them, strong enough to pull your arm off, straight arm etc.....just did not feel right and within 2 months they were gone replaced by another set of technics.

Notice you are doing recording work also, have a look at the tone arm upgrades, tis so good that many hifi people swear by it for giving a great sound.

s

ComaProject

Oct 24, 2010
Check the antiskating as well.. cause this tends to go on old models, but is hard to tell (you need to take a single sided ep along and play the blank side. If the tonearm doesn't stay still when playing the record, then its buggered and isnt easy to fix)

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Check the antiskating as well.. cause this tends to go on old models, but is hard to tell (you need to take a single sided ep along and play the blank side. If the tonearm doesn't stay still when playing the record, then its buggered and isnt easy to fix)

Easier way of checking,

1, balance the tone arm so it floats above the record,
2, turn the anti skate to 0 and the tone arm should remain still,
3, turn to +3 and the arm should pull inwards.....simple.

With everybody chipping in your unlikely to go for any of them.....trust your instinct and if your go see them first then take a friend who has technics to give them a test.

My brother bought a dog of a set for £150 about 15 years ago, still going strong to this day after a good clean and service.

S

DJ Bin-Bag

Apr 7, 2003
preston
be very carefull

i bought my third pair of 1200's about 3 years ago, replaced the pitch etc and full self service about six months ago , happy days - however i have had them set up in my dampish garage for the last 4 months, they are now absolutely fekked, timining is toyyally pooped on the pitch, and i do not think just replacing the pitch PCB will resolve. 1200/1210 are affected by atmospheric conditions so you need to know the history.

thats my advice. theres plrnty of choice out there , just choose wisely. BTW i'll be on the hunt for a new set soon too.

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Ed, if you end up getting some 2nd hand a bit used decks then sam White has a pimp my decks business. He does modifications, customisations, servicing etc

Linkage >>> Welcome to Facebook

think its bout 80 quid for full custom & mods, heres some pics :thumbsup:

Attachments

• decks.jpg
    decks.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,406
  • decks 2.jpg
    decks 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 9,019
  • decks 3.jpg
    decks 3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4,852
  • bens decks.jpg
    bens decks.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 5,405
Last edited:

Dobbo

Jun 18, 2007
SL1210's Pair in White

Will have a pair of these ready very soon...if your still looking, newly repaired, restored and serviced